Question Achieve Fast Boot Time With Android Tablet

dreamer553

Jul 29, 2023
Visit site
Hi Everybody,

I am looking to purchase an Android tablet or phone primarily for offline use. I really just want to be able to quickly turn on the device and start taking notes in an app as quickly as possible.

In your experience, what hardware provides the fastest boot times when paired with a lightweight ROM like LineageOS? Is anything under 5 seconds achievable?

Thanks for any input.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Do you plan to keep the tablet powered off most of the time? If you just keep the tablet in sleep mode, then it should wake quickly.

Even iPads won't power on that quickly from a completely powered-down state.

dreamer553

Jul 29, 2023
Visit site
Thanks for your reply! Yes I understand the boot time I'm asking for is quite aggressive. Is sleep mode just when the display shuts off?

I'm looking to have the tablet be a bedside note taker, and ideally I would want it to be emitting little to no EMF in its resting state. I'm thinking in sleep mode the device would still be quite active if only the screen is turned off. So powered off until I'm ready to use it would be ideal.

dreamer553

Jul 29, 2023
Visit site
Pen and paper with a nearby light switch sounds like your best bet.
Lol yes I've tried this and it's how I ended up pursuing alternatives. Waking up in the middle of the night, leaning up in bed and writing something is uncomfortable and often the dread of doing that is enough to get my middle of the night brain to give up and go back to sleep. I much prefer taking notes on a phone or tablet, where WPM is much higher and you don't even have to adjust your position in order to type. But then you run into sleep disturbance issues.

Anyway I am currently pursuing my own custom solution with a BeagleBone, and it dawned on me I should double check there isn't an existing COTS solution to the problem I'm trying to solve before I continue.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The EMF that's emitted by mobile devices has never been conclusively proven to be harmful (especially if it's not right up against your head constantly), but since you're concerned, have you considered getting an RFID-blocking case or Faraday cage-like container to put the device in? It sounds like you're not that interested in the device receiving messages or other updates, so the signal-blocking wouldn't be an issue for you.

dreamer553

Jul 29, 2023
Visit site
The EMF that's emitted by mobile devices has never been conclusively proven to be harmful (especially if it's not right up against your head constantly), but since you're concerned, have you considered getting an RFID-blocking case or Faraday cage-like container to put the device in? It sounds like you're not that interested in the device receiving messages or other updates, so the signal-blocking wouldn't be an issue for you.
Yes perhaps an EMF blocking case is all I need. Thanks for the suggestion!

Reactions: B. Diddy

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000