activation fee each time you activate...

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Just in case some didn't know, each time you activate your 3g service you have to pay an activation fee of 35.00. Seems a bit harsh to me. With my first ipad, which I used for a solid 8 months I would activate the 3g when I needed it, which was about 3-4 times if I remember right. Nice thing was being able to activate it from the device and be connected instantly. No reoccurring activation fee. I wish Verizon would do this . ..

Auzo

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Just in case some didn't know, each time you activate your 3g service you have to pay an activation fee of 35.00. Seems a bit harsh to me. With my first ipad, which I used for a solid 8 months I would activate the 3g when I needed it, which was about 3-4 times if I remember right. Nice thing was being able to activate it from the device and be connected instantly. No reoccurring activation fee. I wish Verizon would do this . ..

Where in the world did you hear this? I heard that for the galaxy tab on Verizon there was no activation fee each time. And if that is true it doesn't make sense that they would do otherwise for a different tablet.

Auzo

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Bah, they (Verizon and Motorola) just keep making it harder and harder for me to convince myself to buy one.

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Just to check their info I called 2 more best buys and another Verizon store. They also confirmed it. That's a bit of a bummer...i really hope this is something that changes.

ckeegan003

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Kinda silly when I can switch phones a few times a week and that is not charged.
That's because Verizon's policy is that only get charged the activation fee once. I highly doubt the OP spoke with anyone at Verizon, but Best Buy is stating this because they don't want to lose their "bounty" from Verizon. In order to get this, the customer has to maintain data for at least 2 months. However, they're going to have a hard time enforcing this, since it directly contradicts Verizon's own policy.

I've confirmed this with my Verizon rep, and customer service chat (attached).

Live2ride883

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I called vzw and the rep told me if I called back after picking up my Xoom they would credit my account for any activation fees and the first months data. She also notated my account for this and told me if I had any problems when I called back on Thursday to ask for a supervisor.

Auzo

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I called vzw and the rep told me if I called back after picking up my Xoom they would credit my account for any activation fees and the first months data. She also notated my account for this and told me if I had any problems when I called back on Thursday to ask for a supervisor.

WAIT WHAT??? How did you pull that off? Or is it just another deceptive practice by Best Buy to get their "Bounty". Are they making the mandatory 1st month data + reactivation fees all up?

Jaymil

Neutronbomb
Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I wonder how the op is getting all these people to talk to him about the Xoom.. every best buy or verizon store I've gone into so far asking questions the people look at me like I'm speaking Greek. The best buy people were all "what's a Xoom? Is that a phone?" and the Verizon people were like "we don't have those yet but we do have the iphone 4 right over there!!!" It was kinda sad actually... If the Xoom were an apple product, Verizon woulda had signs out on the road and ****.

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you but you only need to buy 1 month of data, not 2.

I spoke with only managers with Verizon. Best Buy they were store reps. This time around there was no uncertainties. They all confirmed it and acknowledged that it sucked. Its obviously a Verizon thing. As I said before I hope they change this. At my rate, I can see myself activating every other month and paying that fee each time seems unfair.

Live2ride883

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
WAIT WHAT??? How did you pull that off? Or is it just another deceptive practice by Best Buy to get their "Bounty". Are they making the mandatory 1st month data + reactivation fees all up?

I just called and asked if they could be waived since I am purchasing an 800.00 device. I will be maintaining the 35.00 data plan and she said I would get credit for that as well.

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site

doesn't make sense to me.

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I just called and asked if they could be waived since I am purchasing an 800.00 device. I will be maintaining the 35.00 data plan and she said I would get credit for that as well.

Then you lucked out I suppose if your telling the truth. I highly doubt me calling in and *****ing about spending 800 on the xoom and demanding compensation will get me anywhere.

ckeegan003

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Verizon defines the purpose of the activation fee as to cover the costs associated with establishing a new line of service. Resuming data after a period of no use would not be establishing a new line of service, plain and simple.

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Well maybe things will get ironed out over the next few days regarding this. Everyone I have talked to is convinced that we are to pay every time cause we are essentially ,"cancelling" when we want to turn data off.

ckeegan003

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Well maybe things will get ironed out over the next few days regarding this. Everyone I have talked to is convinced that we are to pay every time cause we are essentially ,"cancelling" when we want to turn data off.
You're not canceling anything, since you're not under contract.

If they insist that this is the case for the XOOM, ask them why they don't do the same for the Galaxy Tab or iPad/Mi-Fi.

Best Buy and Verizon store employees are irrelevant anyway, since you're going to be calling the customer service number to activate and deactivate data.

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I agree with what your saying, I do. I hope thats the case. However I also called activations to ask and they said the same thing... :/

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Called in today once more and asked. Told the same thing. I then asked why it was different for the galaxy tab and was informed "as of right now, the xoom is verizons flagship tablet. With that being said, Verizon is choosing to handle things a bit differently when compared to our other similar devices."
Not sure I liked that response. I was basically told that this the the price to pay for having the latest..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rajokay