Parallel imported Samsung Galaxy S20 5G, no software updates

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I always thought that Wi-Fi calling is a feature that's enabled by the carrier you're on based on your plan. The phone may support it, but the carrier has to enable it.

Reactions: mustang7757

TheEdge76

Apr 17, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for that - it's not in that menu (I did look). Will try the other sites for the firmware though.

And Vodafone NZ definitely supports wifi calling - my A41 has it available and it works (my mother uses it in her rural location too).

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
It might help if you take into consideration you're trying to use a different carrier than what that particular phone can actually support. That's a carrier-locked model to AT&T so your expectations that everything should just work using a different carrier, in this matter Vodafone, just isn't practical. Instead, don't be surprised if there are glitches and options that don't function, either at all or with limitations.
Buy a different, carrier-unlocked model or one from Vodafone instead.

TheEdge76

Apr 17, 2017
Visit site
I would, except they don't sell any phones I like anymore - but I do hear what you're saying and I get your point.
The new S series ones are (to me) horrible big, bricky-like things, I like the smaller ones.

Best Samsung I had was an A3 2017 - that was great, except for only 16GB of storage. Pity they didn't carry on the smaller sized ones.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I would, except they don't sell any phones I like anymore - but I do hear what you're saying and I get your point.
The new S series ones are (to me) horrible big, bricky-like things, I like the smaller ones.

Best Samsung I had was an A3 2017 - that was great, except for only 16GB of storage. Pity they didn't carry on the smaller sized ones.
When you get older in age you do appreciate the bigger screens

Reactions: TheEdge76

TheEdge76

Apr 17, 2017
Visit site
Update if anyone's still following :) I just went to a park next door to test the signal outside and it seems to get quite a good 5G signal, which is surprising as Vodafone's coverage map says I shouldn't get much in that area (if at all). When 5G dropped off, the VoLTE indicator appeared then it stepped down to 4G, then 4G LTE - which I've never seen on a phone before.

Made a few calls and it appears they were going over either 4G or 4G LTE, but the sound quality seemed to be fine. Hopefully they weren't over 3G.
Should the VoLTE indicator always be visible, like it is with my A41? If not, I may have almost sorted this.
Only thing missing (as far as I can tell) is to see if I can get wifi calling on here, hopefully a newer ROM will sort that one out 🤞

TheEdge76

Apr 17, 2017
Visit site
Did some playing around with the applications listed earlier - still no joy downloading from the sammob website, sadly.
I opened the Frija thing and when I clicked Check Update, it said:
1719391485921.png

So I also tried the SamFirm app, which gave the error message: "Could not fetch info for SM-G981U/ATT. Please verify the input or use manual info".

Edit: after posting the above, I tried using the sammobile link again and this time it works! I'm going to try installing the ROM posted earlier using the Odin tool and see what happens 🤞

Last edited:

TheEdge76

Apr 17, 2017
Visit site
Update:

I figured it out! I now have Android version 13 and One UI 5.1!
I used the ROM linked on the last page off the sammobile site and Odin and it seems to have updated successfully.
I also now have the option for wifi calling!

I've noticed however that the nifty little "4G", "4G LTE" and "5G" indicators seem to have gone - are they re-addable? Not the end of the world if not but would be nice to see them again :) I also note that I don't have the option to select 5G (or 2G) anymore - maybe these were removed with the update?

Anyway I'm going to test out the signal at the park again tomorrow and see what happens - VoLTE is showing here at home but I noticed it dropping in and out at the park today, so will be interesting to see what it does tomorrow now it's all updated.

I'm also planning to take it out to a rural area to test how well it works on 2G/3G etc. While I live in a city I know there are a couple of spots that get very limited service, so I'd like to put it through its paces (alongside the A41) to see how it goes.

A big THANK YOU to everyone on here who helped, your assistance is greatly appreciated!

I'll test it as above (next weekend) and report back. Hopefully it goes just as well as the A41! 🤞

Reactions: BerryBubbles

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Did some playing around with the applications listed earlier - still no joy downloading from the sammob website, sadly.
I opened the Frija thing and when I clicked Check Update, it said:
View attachment 363578

So I also tried the SamFirm app, which gave the error message: "Could not fetch info for SM-G981U/ATT. Please verify the input or use manual info".

Edit: after posting the above, I tried using the sammobile link again and this time it works! I'm going to try installing the ROM posted earlier using the Odin tool and see what happens
Yeah Att firmware probably won't show up in Frija they are harder to get , if sammoble has it that would be best bet or samfirm

TheEdge76

Apr 17, 2017
Visit site
With things seemingly going well with my new handset, I've only got a query or 3 remaining :)
(1) With the firmware update, the snazzy 4G and 5G icons at the top have disappeared. On the A41 (when not on wifi) I have a 4G indicator, showing data flowing in and out. None of that appears on the S20 anymore. Is there any way to restore the 4G/5G indicator at the top? My partner (an American) said "it must be an AT&T thing".
(2) Speaking of AT&T, it loads a boot screen with their logo and some tune (maybe theirs?) every time I power on the phone. Is there any way to remove this, or make it silent?
(3) Also is there any way to install the Samsung FM radio app on here? I recall seeing it depended on the chipset with the S20 and I thought this one might have the right chipset for it.

The good news is I installed Network Cell Info Lite and it shows I'm still getting a 5G signal (phew), just would be nice to see the indicator at the top to tell me without having to go into an app :)
S20 (with the missing notifications next to the signal bar):
1719538910417.png
1719538935206.png

A41:
1719539098762.png

Attachments

• 1719539076614.png
    1719539076614.png
    15 KB · Views: 3

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
With things seemingly going well with my new handset, I've only got a query or 3 remaining :)
(1) With the firmware update, the snazzy 4G and 5G icons at the top have disappeared. On the A41 (when not on wifi) I have a 4G indicator, showing data flowing in and out. None of that appears on the S20 anymore. Is there any way to restore the 4G/5G indicator at the top? My partner (an American) said "it must be an AT&T thing".
(2) Speaking of AT&T, it loads a boot screen with their logo and some tune (maybe theirs?) every time I power on the phone. Is there any way to remove this, or make it silent?
(3) Also is there any way to install the Samsung FM radio app on here? I recall seeing it depended on the chipset with the S20 and I thought this one might have the right chipset for it.

The good news is I installed Network Cell Info Lite and it shows I'm still getting a 5G signal (phew), just would be nice to see the indicator at the top to tell me without having to go into an app :)
S20 (with the missing notifications next to the signal bar):
View attachment 363634
View attachment 363635

A41:
View attachment 363637
The FM radio the US carrier's turned off so not sure a way to get them back on , the unlock firmware US will be without Att logo start up and tone

Last edited:

TheEdge76

Apr 17, 2017
Visit site
"...the unlock firmware US" - can you explain that a little more please? Sorry for the dopey question :(

Also (just remembered) the "Allow 2G" and "Allow 5G" options you posted in your screenshot on the last page seem to have disappeared with the firmware update - not sure if this is normal or not?

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
"...the unlock firmware US" - can you explain that a little more please? Sorry for the dopey question :/

Also (just remembered) the "use 2G" and "use 5G" options you posted in your screenshot on the last page seem to have disappeared with the firmware update - not sure if this is normal or not?
The US has 2 versions , carrier like you have and Unnlock with no pre-installed carrier apps or splash screen

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bensonboon24