Active 2 Water Damage, Warranty Denied

afoon2001

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
So Samsung claims there's water damage and denies warranty... wants $220 to repair... I'm pi**ed!

This watch is advertised for sports, to include swimming. But it has never seen a pool, never been worn in the shower but water still penetrated. I am frustrated with Samsung right now. They even refused to repair it as a one time courtesy, no goodwill.

So... i was surprised that there wasn't a single post about this on this forum... did I just get a lemon, a fluke?

Just got it shipped back to me unrepaired. It's my daughter's (22) and she's had it just under a year. She's gotten accustomed to it and really misses having a smartwatch. Been with Samsung since the Note4, and my daughter has always refused to get an iPhone.

So... anyone out there have some words of wisdom? Any suggestions for a smartwatch to purchase to replace the Active2, or should we bite the bullet and get another one?

Thanks in advance... Cheers!

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
There are posts about waterproofing "warranty" on some of the other model specific sub-forums. Basically saying same as your experience; that even though Samsung states that it can be used for swimming, they do not warrant against water damage. It's in the small print of course.

This of course makes no sense. Wish there was someway to put enough pressure on Sammy to either honor the warranty when the device is used as advertised, or put up a huge disclaimer about the limitations of their waterproof "warranty".

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
you will have the same warranty issue whether it be samsung, apple, or any other company. If you like the active 2, get another, just be more careful when around water, whether it is raining or washing hands no matter what watch brand you buy.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Its typical for water resistant devices to not be covered under warranty for water damage. While it sucks for the honest consumer it protects the company from repeatedly replacing devices that lost their water sealing due to physical abuse. There is also no way the manufacturer knows you didn't leave the device under water for days.

Although I'm a bit shocked in this particular instance because the watch is advertised for swimming and has water modes. Looking into it Samsung doesn't make it clear they don't cover water damage in their warranty.

HyperPete

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Its typical for water resistant devices to not be covered under warranty for water damage. While it sucks for the honest consumer it protects the company from repeatedly replacing devices that lost their water sealing due to physical abuse. There is also no way the manufacturer knows you didn't leave the device under water for days.

Although I'm a bit shocked in this particular instance because the watch is advertised for swimming and has water modes. Looking into it Samsung doesn't make it clear they don't cover water damage in their warranty.

FYI: it has taken me over 5 hours so far, but the repair guy I spoke with said that the first thing they do when a watch arrives for repair is to subject it to a blast of compressed air. If a leak is detected, THEY WATER TEST IT.

THIS is why so many watches are "water damaged." THEY are damaging them.

I am working on getting my warranty honored now that I know the truth.

They should just open and inspect when they arrive.

Last edited:

Five Bravo

Dec 19, 2021
Visit site
So Samsung claims there's water damage and denies warranty... wants $220 to repair... I'm pi**ed!

This watch is advertised for sports, to include swimming. But it has never seen a pool, never been worn in the shower but water still penetrated. I am frustrated with Samsung right now. They even refused to repair it as a one time courtesy, no goodwill.

So... i was surprised that there wasn't a single post about this on this forum... did I just get a lemon, a fluke?

Just got it shipped back to me unrepaired. It's my daughter's (22) and she's had it just under a year. She's gotten accustomed to it and really misses having a smartwatch. Been with Samsung since the Note4, and my daughter has always refused to get an iPhone.

So... anyone out there have some words of wisdom? Any suggestions for a smartwatch to purchase to replace the Active2, or should we bite the bullet and get another one?

Thanks in advance... Cheers!

This same s*it just happened to me.. have had it a year but I shower with it. Haven't had it confirmed but I've had enough phones to know thats what is going on w mine. Do you happen to also use a custom bezel? I'm thinking possibly moisture is being trapped for longer than it should be there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rodrigo Cunha

Dec 30, 2021
Visit site
This same s*it just happened to me.. have had it a year but I shower with it. Haven't had it confirmed but I've had enough phones to know thats what is going on w mine. Do you happen to also use a custom bezel? I'm thinking possibly moisture is being trapped for longer than it should be there.

HOLY SH*T! Same thing happened to me, I never submerged the watch under water. It really seems like SAMSUNG is defaulting repairs to "water damage" so they don't need to cover for it. This is absurd!

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
HOLY SH*T! Same thing happened to me, I never submerged the watch under water. It really seems like SAMSUNG is defaulting repairs to "water damage" so they don't need to cover for it. This is absurd!

Nope that's not absurd... that's Samsung :eek: The best thing you can do is speak with your wallet, that's the kind of language companies like Samsung understand ;)

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site

It is not only Samsung that does this. All the phone manufacturers does this.