activesync push settings, poor battery

jackwagon06

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Anyone notice with the microsoft exchange active sync account, and push as the default sync, that the phone continuously syncs, therefore killing the battery life? You can watch it sync while looking at your inbox within that account. Have had the phone for 2 weeks and it has done that since day one. Push should only do what it says.....push when a new email arrives on the server. I set it to sync every 5 minutes, and it helps battery performance, but my gnex, touchpad with cm9, and even the ipad are all set to push with no ill affects to the battery. This is the only phone I have ever had with the "peak" settings too. I un selected the peak days to try and make it like the rest of my devices, and set it to push with the same result. Trying to wrap my head around this one.....any help is appreciated.:mad:

ncbryan

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Have exchange set up on mine and also set to push. No issues at all. Something must be wrong in the setup or with the phone itself.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

note2

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
"microsoft exchange active sync account, and push as the default sync". My battery is at 25% after 2-3 days. Not seeing the same result as you with same setting for push sync.

jackwagon06

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I figured it was me lol. I bought an S3 today for my work line, and same issue. Just created the account on my girlfriends tab2, and you guessed it, same thing. Syncing like its on all the time. At this point I would eliminate the equipment, and think its something with the account.
One thought: because my folders are so many, maybe it needs a day to sync? I usually get freaked out by the battery usage and set the sync to 5 minutes, which solves the issue. If left on push, then checking settings/battery/exchange services will be more than the screen or os. IT guy is an iPhone guy, so me being the only android employee, I am at a disadvantage for getting help. It is definetly a Samsung related issue with this account for me.

jnagator

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
jackwagon06- I am having the same problem S3 on Verizon for my new job running JB. The Exchange Services is running 73-82% and I have tired resetting and deleting but the problem comes back.....I cannot figure out the push issue and the problem happens on weekends also where no schedule.

Help anyone ??????????????

jackwagon06

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Best I can tell you is to change "push" for peak and off peak, to 5 minutes. That really is the only work around I have found so far. Wierd how some report no issues with activesync set to push, yet any galaxy device I own has an issue. Except for the gnex. Hope that helps.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

aamyot

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I recently had this problem for the second time. Around Dec 24, my battery died mid-day. I realized that Exchange Services had consumed all my data (1 GB) in a day. No help from Rogers.
I had to remove the ActiveSync accounts and start over

aamyot

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
yes. it seems the only way to clear up the problem but since I don't know what caused the issue, I have to monitor my data usage very carefully

jackwagon06

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I dont get it.....doesnt matter if I start it over or not. Anytime its on push I get battery drain. I have given up at this point and just run it on the 5 min intervals.

LordVader13

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
I have this issue also on my Galaxy Note. It does not matter what Rom Im using I still get the drain. I didnt realise it was the push service. Ill give the 5 minutes thing a go.

I have gotten this issue on these roms:

Samsung Officail

Android 3.2
Android 4.0.4
Android 4.1.2

CyanogenMod

Android 4
Android 4.1.2
Android 4.2.2

So Im guessing its my exchange when set to push

rayw796

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I have only had my Note II since Tuesday afternoon (3/26/13). Have had Exchange email setup on my Bionic as well as Note since receiving. My Note says it has been running for 11 h 18 m with battery at 68%. Only 2% of that usage was for Exchange. I also have a live wallpaper running, Bluetooth, wifi and 4G running all day.

Jbairdjr

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
I have been having this problem also. Exchange eating 23 percent of my battery for no reason that I can see.
I have deleted the account and added it back, but it still happens.

jackwagon06

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I flashed a different touchwiz rom, hyperdrive, on my s3. During aroma, I picked aosp email instead of the native sammy email. Loaded my exchange account and left on push. Working like a champ. No battery drain. Its a samsung native email problem imo.

LordVader13

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
Anyone notice with the microsoft exchange active sync account, and push as the default sync, that the phone continuously syncs, therefore killing the battery life? You can watch it sync while looking at your inbox within that account. Have had the phone for 2 weeks and it has done that since day one. Push should only do what it says.....push when a new email arrives on the server. I set it to sync every 5 minutes, and it helps battery performance, but my gnex, touchpad with cm9, and even the ipad are all set to push with no ill affects to the battery. This is the only phone I have ever had with the "peak" settings too. I un selected the peak days to try and make it like the rest of my devices, and set it to push with the same result. Trying to wrap my head around this one.....any help is appreciated.:mad:

We have this issue in our company as we only buy Samsung Android phones.

If you change the sync schedule to 5 minutes it stops the battery drain. The more you incase that time the less battery used. I had endless issues on my Note and changing this nearly doubled the battery life and stored the over heating.

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRG582