Adding contacts to phone not syncing with Google.

Goneeuro

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
So when I put a new contact into my phone it doesn't upload to Google. Is there a setting i need to change. Its a little annoying. I didn't realize it wasn't doing until i did a master reset and all my new contacts that i added were gone. So i added one and checked online and it wasn't there. How to I make this work. I don't want to have to add every contact online and wait for them to push to my phone. Sorry, new to this android thing.

Jennuine03

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure of any other way, but you wouldn't necessarily have to wait for it to push to your phone. You could add the contact in google and then go to settings > accounts & sync > gmail > sync contacts and they'd come through then.

I'm still learning the Droid, too. So there very well could be another way that I don't know of yet.

wla2000

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
I have the same problem with my Samsung Infuse. I can add contacts successfully at gmail.com on my computer, and they sync within moments to my phone. But I want to be able to add contacts on my phone and have them get stored at gmail.com. I've seen lots of talk about how to do this with HTC phones, but none of that seems to apply to my Samsung.

If you can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it!

fightfan

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I have an HTC Droid Incredible phone myself, so this might not apply to you. For me, when I add a contact, I have the option of adding as type "Phone" or type "Gmail." If I add it as a "Phone," it does NOT get synced up to my gmail account. Unfortunately, "Phone" is the default, and I have to remember to keep changing it to gmail.

That being said, if backing up is more important than syncing, i.e. you don't need it available on your computer, you can just use a app. Lookout Security and Antivirus (Lookout Security & Antivirus for Android | AppBrain.com) does a lot more than just contact backup, but it's free. There might be other "lightweight" contact backup apps out there, but I just don't know any off the top of my head. Good luck!

Duard

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
In "contacts" select menu> more> settings and look at "save new contacts to". Answer must be "google". If it is phone or sim, new contacts will not sync.

after fixing this, select so contact and hit "edit". At the very top of the screen it will show you where the contact is stored. If it's phone or sim this contact will not sync. There's a way to export all your phone/sim contacts and re-import them to google but I haven't got it to work correctly - safest thing is to just re-enter them.

dpomerance

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Go to Settings > Accounts and Synch > and make sure auto-synch is on. I never have a problem with this function and it is in the cloud before I can even get to my computer and look it up.

artofdesign

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
In "contacts" select menu> more> settings and look at "save new contacts to". Answer must be "google". If it is phone or sim, new contacts will not sync.

after fixing this, select so contact and hit "edit". At the very top of the screen it will show you where the contact is stored. If it's phone or sim this contact will not sync. There's a way to export all your phone/sim contacts and re-import them to google but I haven't got it to work correctly - safest thing is to just re-enter them.

That's the trick. Awesome. Thanks.

Duard

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Sure. Here's the test to tell if you are having this problem: On the phone, open Contacts and find a contact that was originally on Computer and got copied to phone. Make a change while on the phone. Also add a new contact while on the phone. Wait a little while and go to the computer. Go to
http://contacts.google.com
and look for your changes. If the changed contact was synched but the new one wasn't you need this fix.

That's the trick. Awesome. Thanks.

wla2000

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Duard: Thanks. There are lots of things buried in those menus! That worked and helped a lot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

kmcochran

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm helping my grandmother get her phone set up. I have the Moto Photon, so it's similar, but different. She had a few contacts already in the phone. I set her up with a gmail address and have it set to sync. I don't see any of her contacts showing up in her gmail account yet.

Also, I added my contact info via her gmail account on the computer, and then synced it with her phone. It adds my info down at the bottom of the contacts under My Contacts, Google System Group. I wanted to put it up in the Family Group, but I don't see that option anywhere. Can we move my info to the Family Group? I'm trying to make things easy for her since she's 88 and spends half her time in the US and half of it in Mexico.

I was hoping to be able to enter her contacts thru her gmail account, but if I can't move them into the groups to make things easier for her, then I'll just have to enter them manually on her phone (not an option I desire).

Thanks!

chaadi

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Hope this helps: I've been frustrated with this for days and tried everything... thank god I had a back up of I would have lost all my contacts.

This is what you shall do (apologies to Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass introduction...)

All contacts must be saved as Google... in the Email settings there is a choice to save to phone or sim or google and if they are not saved to google they do not sync.

It seems they also have to be assigned to My Contacts or some other group... if not assigned that are taken off the google account on the web.

it means if you want a copy of everything on your web google account you will have to re-enter them. And that I am not doing tonight.

It's all fun isn't it. Do you think the people who write these programs actually use them?

Here is the full Walt Whitman intro I refer to if you are interested... if we did as he suggests there might not be any more wars... now that's a thought... it's all in one sentence so take a breath before you start but you will be pretty amazed when you get to the last few phrases... look for the "lashes" bit.

This is what you shall do; Love the earth and sun and the animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown or to any man or number of men, go freely with powerful uneducated persons and with the young and with the mothers of families, read these leaves in the open air every season of every year of your life, re-examine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency not only in its words but in the silent lines of its lips and face and between the lashes of your eyes and in every motion and joint of your body.
?Walt Whitman, from the preface of Leaves of Grass.

kmcochran

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Chaadi, thanks for your reply. If I do all that, can I move those google contacts into the preset groups on the phone? That's the more pressing issue I have right now. Thankfully, there are only a handful of contacts already entered into the phone, so entering them into google is not a huge task, but I don't want to move them if they can't be sorted into the "Friends," "Family," Work," etc categories.

I realize that's not the only way to search through the contacts, but that's how my grandmother would like them to be sorted.

ep1963

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Hope this helps: I've been frustrated with this for days and tried everything... thank god I had a back up of I would have lost all my contacts.

This is what you shall do (apologies to Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass introduction...)

All contacts must be saved as Google... in the Email settings there is a choice to save to phone or sim or google and if they are not saved to google they do not sync.

It seems they also have to be assigned to My Contacts or some other group... if not assigned that are taken off the google account on the web.

it means if you want a copy of everything on your web google account you will have to re-enter them. And that I am not doing tonight.

It's all fun isn't it. Do you think the people who write these programs actually use them?

This is not right.

The option is not in email but contacts.

Once you have it set to save to google, all new contacts will be saved there, you don't have to assign a group.

Further, if you want your existing contacts on google, you can export them from phone and import to google. You don't have to re-enter individually.

kmcochran

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
My main question is: if I enter contacts into gmail, is there any way to put them into the Family, Friends, Word, etc groups on the phone once they've been synced?

I tried just putting my contact info in gmail, then it synced with the phone, but when I went in to edit the contact to put it in the Family group, that option was not available. I was able to move contacts that were directly entered into the phone into those categories, but not the contact that was entered via gmail.

Jim666

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
Problem:
Contacts typed on phone do not go to computer gmail contacts.
Contacts typed on computer gmail contacts go to android.

Solution.
First, here is a sensible usage that I use.

My usage.
I want my contacts to be stored in my main gmail accounts.
(The solution will work if instead gmail you use other provider.)
That is to say, as soon as I type my new contact, it will go
into gmail contact list.
Here is how to achieve that.
On Android do:
main | phone | contacts | +new contact | just UNDER the new contact
there is little triangle that if you touch that, it will be menu
allowing to select who will be hosting your contacts | I select gmail.
This way it will configure that any new contacts will be stored in gmail contacts.
Then to see the right thing (only gmail contacts), do:
main | phone | contacts | menu | contacts to display choose gmail only.

Disclaimer:
If you want to use SIM to store some contacts and gmail to store other
contacts my solution is not applicable.
If you will use my usage, my solution works.
Note to Android designers of phone app, the triangle is a BAD idea, it should
be under menu option.

cahls

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Duard... Seems like with so many versions and updates that if the contact was not saved to Google (even if later became one or linked or merged)- then any local edit would cause sync lock up... Your post with my use of other Android WiFi devices that weren't phones made all this come to light...

Posted via Android Central App
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition (WiFi)
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 (WiFi)
Samsung Galaxy S3 (AT&T)