After cache wipe, phone will not reboot

groston

Jul 7, 2018
Visit site
Phone: Samsung Note 4, Android OS V5.1.1, rooted, stock ROM

My battery life has recently been quite poor. After some reading, I decided to wipe the cache. I booted my phone into TWRP and clicked on Wipe->Advanced and selected Cache and and dalvik/ART cache. Once this was done, I rebooted and TWRP presented a message to the effect of ' Install Super SU - your phone does not appear to be rooted'. I clicked yes (which was probably a mistake as SuperSU is on the phone).

The initial reboot seems to go okay, but the phone hangs with the Sprint SPARK screen. I have left the phone alone for up to 10 minutes, but rebooting shouldn't take this long - something seems to be quite wrong! I do not want to do a hard reset because of a) the amount of effort needed to reinstall everything (even with Titanium backup) and b) because I am fearful that my SMS and phone logs will be lost (not sure that Titanium backs those up).

I am currently using TWRP to backup my phone, but this is not going to solve the problem. What should I try? I am very nervous about not having my phone as my elderly father is having health issues and I need to be available...

Thanks for your suggestions!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Rebooting after a Dalvik wipe, if you have enough apps, can take over an hour. Every single app has to be rebuilt.

Next time wipe the system cache, but not the Dalvik cache. (They're two different things - Dalvik is the Java interpreter. "System" refers to Linux.)

groston

Jul 7, 2018
Visit site
Rukbat,

Thanks for the reply. Based on your suggestion, I exercised patience - five hours of it. No luck. I did wind up re-flashing and then reinstalling SuperSU. The good news is that the user data was not impacted, so my SMS data was still there and it was not necessary to reinstall apps, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ife45201