After extended GS4 test drive, I'm going back to Apple for good. Here's why.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I don't think there's any argument with 1 if most of the people you know use iPhones. I'm not as famailir with apps like Find My Friends, but if it's iOS only then that would fall into the same category. It's super useful if everyone you know uses it, but useless if no one you know you uses it.

2 is actually the exact opposite of how I feel. I'm much happier not using iTunes so the iPhone is the worst phone for music. Much of the argument is stated as a fact and universal when it's really just a personal preference.

I believe 3 is unfounded. My wife has an iPhone 5 and an iPad and while the animations are a bit different and some apps seem more polished, I see no difference in stability, how intuitive things are (they'll always seem less intuitive on the platform you're least familiar with) or how "fluid" they are.

The difference in sunlight readability (pretty much all phones are poor in direct sunlight, though) is probably the only thing in 4 that's valid. The size may be bigger, but the hyperbole the author used (palming a basketball) voids any illusion of objectivity he might have. I have no idea where he got the poor screen sensitivity from. The S4 has a more sensitive screen than the iPhone 5 and can be turned up past that to work with gloves on. I sometimes have trouble using my wife's iPhone because I'm used to how sensitive the S4's touch screen is. I find the auto-correct and auto-prediction to be better on the S4 as well.

The final sentence pretty much blows away any idea that the OP has any objectivity at all. He didn't want to like the S4, so it shouldn't be a surprise when it turns out he didn't like it.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

Yes but the lack of Haptic feedback as an option slows down the human reaction process. It is why the iPhone Keyboard makes me cringe after using Android for the last 5 months.

If the touchscreen is faster then it is like having a Ferrari with a governor in their to limit your speed to 50. Whats the point if it is faster if you can't use it such.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
No, Apple doesn't have any catching up to do. Their features are fine, and they remain the leader in technology.

Not so much anymore. You should keep in mind that people in this forum are generally speaking as non casual tech enthusiasts. Your POV in many of your posts refers to the general public. From your standpoint you're basically correct but we're not casual folks here.

Android remains a much more capable and powerful OS ahead of ios7 in capabilities regardless of how each are received and sold by regular people. The OP reflects that kind of user and I would have to say an iPhone is a better fit for him judging by how he stated he uses smartphones, which was very average Joe usage.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Not if you have to tap it twice because the first tap didn't take. That's the issue I have is I have to make more forceful (though still a light touch) and deliberate taps and swipes to navigate on the iPhone 5 compared to my S4. Granted that's something you get used to when you use the phone a lot, but saying that the touch sensitivity on the S4 is worse (which is what the OP claimed, I made no mention of responsiveness) is incorrect. Changing the subject doesn't affect that at all.

TrinaMea

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Sorry dude, couldn't disagree more. The music is the single most INFERIOR part iphone has compared to Android. But hv fun paying for all your music and having to write down or shazam the songs u like until u can get to a pc or mac to pay, then download them. It ain't for me.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Sorry dude, couldn't disagree more. The music is the single most INFERIOR part iphone has compared to Android. But hv fun paying for all your music and having to write down or shazam the songs u like until u can get to a pc or mac to pay, then download them. It ain't for me.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

After you Shazam a song it will let you purchase it in iTunes directly from the phone. It gives you a link to the iTunes file. The store pops up after you click to buy and download.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

Edible Walrus

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
After approximately four months with the GS4 on Verizon, I'll be picking up an iPhone 5s on Friday (fingers crossed that I can even find one). I've dabbled in Android for the very last time and consider it to be the clearly inferior platform. Here's why:

1. The thing I do most on my phone is text friends and family, with most everything else being a distant second. iMessage on iOS has such a huge advantage over the basic SMS texting available on Android that it isn't even funny, especially when you're sending pictures or video which I frequently do. Add to that the effortless synching of iMessages across the entire Apple ecosystem (from Mac to iPhone to iPad, etc.), and Android simply can't compete. Plus, when you get right down to it, I hardly know anyone who doesn't have an iPhone so everyone uses iMessage.

2. The thing I do second most on my phone is listen to music. Again, Apple has a huge advantage over Android in that Apple invented the iPod and continues to produce the best music player by a wide margin. Nothing I've tried on Android (and I've tried ALL the 3rd party music apps) comes close. From displaying album artwork to displaying alerts during music playback (especially in the lock screen mode) to synching everything effortlessly with iTunes - the iPhone continues to be the leader for music lovers IMO.

3. The thing I do third most is use social media apps and various other sports/news apps. Almost to an app, the iOS version is better in that it crashes far less, is more fluid and intuitive, and almost always uploads superior pictures, despite the pictures taken by the GS4 being huge and vibrant. I have no idea why that last gripe is the way it is, but that's simply been my experience.

4. Yes, the screen size of the iPhone leaves a lot to be desired. There's no avoiding that. However, the large size of the GS4's screen is really hampered by almost zero visibility in sunlight and poor touch responsiveness when compared to the iPhone. Unless you can palm a basketball, you'll probably need to use two hands on the GS4 and other giant Android phones. However, if you don't touch what you want exactly spot-on (with the phone braced with one hand and your free hand doing the selecting), the screen simply isn't as responsive and accurate to the touch as the iPhone. Don't even get me started on the poor screen sensitivity's effect on text entry and lousy auto-correct and auto-prediction...

5. Lastly, there is no equivalent of the Find My Friends app on Android. When you have family, friends, children, and others all scattered around, it is an absolutely invaluable tool for when you need to keep tabs on someone, like during car/air/train travel, at sporting events/concerts and other large gatherings of people, or just on the commute home. Again, Android can't compete. Although the Google Latitude app existed briefly, if you enabled location reporting so that the app functioned like FMF, the phone's battery would be dead before you set it down.

There are definitely things about the Android that are great and that I will miss. Full-featured Google Search (and accompanying widget) are great, as are Google Maps, the GMail App, snappy camera, and fully customizable user interface via 3rd party launchers. However, for what I use a phone for most, Android is still playing catch-up and probably always will be.

The analogy I'd use here is this - iOS/Apple : Android/Samsung/HTC :: Ferrari : Hennessey Motorsports. Yes, the super-tuned Hennessey sports car (take your pick of which one) can match the performance of and typically exceed that of a Ferrari on the racetrack. However, the Ferrari can't be touched in terms of overall taste, fit, finish, and class.

1) Another poster said Hangouts does this too
2) Stock music app does the job on the S4 although the handling of notifications could be better and the controls on the lock screen. As for syncing, you could just drag and drop or copy and paste
3) Valid. Although, of the ones I use they are more or less the same
4) Yes, one handed operation can be difficult with the S4, but you can't argue with the screen's quality. 4.7" or 4.5" probably would have been perfect. I find screen responsiveness level with the iPod touch (yes I know it's not the newest of Apple hardware). Occasionally it will drop an instruction, just like my iPod does
5) o_O

tewest86

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I just got done playing with the 5S. Those of you comparing the iPhones finger print scanner to the one in the Atrix have noooo idea what you're talking about. It's so quick and seamless. It's feels so natures. It's like comparing the Atari to a PS4. Yes, both are games systems but that's where the similarities end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

gdmin

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I just got done playing with the 5S. Those of you comparing the iPhones finger print scanner to the one in the Atrix have noooo idea what you're talking about. It's so quick and seamless. It's feels so natures. It's like comparing the Atari to a PS4. Yes, both are games systems but that's where the similarities end.

I see no post refering to Atrix finger print in here.. except yours.. no?

Sent via Tapatalk 2

gdmin

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
It's there. One guy said that the Atrix had a finger print scanner 2 yrs ago.

Ok, didn't see the post, thanks for your info on finger print. But I think I will never buy any smartphone with finger print features even from my favorite brand.

But I'm glad you enjoy yours.

Sent via Tapatalk 2

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
OP, I think based on your top three things iphone is better. Luckily those are not my top three. I hate typing on my iphone and do imessage on my macbook. I like my iphone 5 for certain things, I like my S4 for other things and just picked up a Lumia 1020 to learn more about Windows Phones and that kick **** camera!!!

Just buy a bunch of those iphones so my AAPL will go back to 700!

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Great perspective. Well, at least you gave it a try and did so with a good Android device and didn't take to it. Enjoy the iPhone 5S, it's a good looking device and I actually like the way iOS 7 looks and feels.

rajnet

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Have been an iPhone user since day 1, after downloading the iOS7 I completely flipped with what they did it to the color scheme, icons, functionality etc when I installed the developer beta version. I got a nexus 4 and was taken by surprise, the vanilla android experience, screen size, customisation and freedom. Moved on to HTC one after a couple of weeks then recently to Samsung S4. I think iPhone is a beautiful gadget the best there is design wise, but the iOS is now trying to catch up and has become too garish for my liking. It's become an evolutionary platform than revolutionary. Some of the apps like iMessage etc are apps which any OS can built and adapt. S4 on the other hand with its 5 inches screen, ultimate freedom and customization is an incredible experience. I am glad I made the switch and don't regret it for a second. I don't think I can go back to an iPhone until they make some serious changes to their OS make it fully customisable and introduce a decent screen size. I still have an iPad and I think its the best tablet out there. Best of luck going back to iPhone it is a beautiful device after all with apps you are fond of. But I think some of us have just gotten plain bored of it.

Posted via Android Central App