After updating to nougat, massive drain on my data

A

AC Question

Hello,

I have searched high and low on the internet for a solution but I can't find anyway to fix this problem.I hope someone can help -

I got a Samsung Galaxy S7 on a Vodaphone contract in Janurary 2017

Everything worked absolutely fine on Android version Marshmellow until recently (Feb I think) I upgraded to Android Nougat 7.0. After this I have been having problems with my data allowance. I first noticed this in March when I started to get text messages saying my mobile data was being used up from Vodaphone until half way through the month my data was turned off automatically as it had all been used up and luckily I have a data cap (it had used 800 mb in 15 days) I then started monitoring the data usage on my wifi at home as my mobile data was turned off for the rest of the month. I noticed that 'Android OS' had used 6 GB over wifi (+the 800 MB over mobile data) in the month (my partner has S7 edge which had the same updates and his 'Andorid OS' usage is less then 200 mb for the whole month + previous months under Marshmellow for me were all under 400MB per month)

I have tried various things to try and stop this data being used, such as:

Turned of any backup with cloud/ google
Set updates to update over wifi only
Restricted background data on all apps and all system apps that it lets me
turned off location services

I have now done a factory reset of my phone and 'Android OS' still appears to be using data at the same rate. In the last 3 hours it as used 31 MB of data (over wifi as I still have my mobile data turned off as I'm scared it will use it all up)

I also have had significant battery drain since the update to Nougat and feel this may be linked.

All other apps on the phone are listed separately for data usage and do not appear to be using any strange amounts.

I don't know what else I can do without wiping my entire phone which I don't really know how to do! But as it stands I have a phone which I can't turn my mobile data on so have not got internet outside of my home!

Is there anyway that I can roll back to Marshmellow?

Thanks for reading, please help!

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Yes, you can roll it back.
Nougat was a huge update, 1.2Gig from memory. With this kind of updates, you need to wipe cache partition to clean out the debris from the old software. Then you should go through your settings and see what has changed. You can disable all apps you don't use, you can turn off synch to stop the constant checking of stuff by apps and in general, choke off crap you never use.
In any case, I'll post the link re rolling back now... You can decide how you want to proceed from there...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flynempire