All frequent calls disappeared

Double Tap

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
I thought I would try clearing the cache. When I went to settings and tapped storage it would not load. I just got the spinning arrow, this went on for many minutes.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
That happens to my wife's Z2 Play all the time when the internal storage is close to being full. Sometimes it takes a good 5 - 10 minutes for that screen to populate

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
Quite a few more people have posted on the Moto Forum with this issue. Some have their Call History list clear every day and others have their Favorites / Started Contact list clear frequently. There doesn't seem to be a common factor yet, multiple different phones on different carriers. There has to be a reason for this, but that reason is currently unknown

Double Tap

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
Quite a few more people have posted on the Moto Forum with this issue. Some have their Call History list clear every day and others have their Favorites / Started Contact list clear frequently. There doesn't seem to be a common factor yet, multiple different phones on different carriers. There has to be a reason for this, but that reason is currently unknown

For the first time since my problem started my frequently called numbers were not wiped out last night. This is getting stranger every day.

The W12ard

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
Hello. Just been searching Google for an answer to this problem and came across this thread. Both mine and my wife's Samsung Galaxy S7s have started losing the "Frequently Contacted" contacts that automatically appear at the top of the contacts screen. I am running Android Nougat and my wife has the latest Oreo update and it's happening on both devices. I tried clearing all cache and data and made a few calls back and forth from mine and my wife's phones and after several calls, the frequently contacted list suddenly appeared again. Great, so I thought. Checked my contacts app again this morning and it's gone again. I am on O2 in the UK and this started happening about the beginning of May. It's really bugging me.

As this seems to be happening across all phones and all carriers maybe it's a Google issue. Perhaps when it backs up your contacts it's deleting the frequently contact list. Only a wild guess but I can't think of any other reason.

The W12ard

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
I may be right with my line of thinking. Just logged on to my Google account via Google dashboard and clicked on device backups and it took me to my Google drive page where it lists all devices that have data backups and it shows that my device was backed up at 2:30am last night. I went to bed around 1am and my frequently contacted list was working when I went to bed so I'm inclined to think that this has something to do with when Google backs up your data.

On my phone I went to settings/cloud & accounts/accounts/Google to check sync settings and for some weird reason my contacts had the sync tab turned off. I never turn sync contacts off so it looks like something could be up with Google.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
That is very possible. I just checked my phone and all Google sync options are On. Maybe that's why my call lists have not cleared?

Last edited:

The W12ard

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
Just as an experiment I've gone in to "back up and restore" on my phone and turned off "backup my data" for my Google account so hopefully now it wont try to backup any data to Google drive. I've made about 6 calls to and from my phone to/from my wife's phone and the contact has now appeared on both devices in the frequently contacted list again.

Now with backup turned off I will wait and see if disappears. If it doesn't delete then I may have found the culprit. If it does delete then I'll proceed to turn off wifi and mobile data to see if it's something outside of my device (server side) that's causing the issue.

The reason I suspect that Google backup may be the issue is because the frequently contact list doesn't disappear while my phone is in active use and the contacts only seem to vanish after my phone has been idle for several hours on charge like when I'm asleep which is when Google usually performs a data backup and sync.

Last edited:

Yoleoyoleo

May 18, 2019
Visit site
I have same problem with my Moto G5 plus. Tried all the things mentioned in this thread. Started happening about a week ago. Still have the problem.

RickCavallaro

May 19, 2019
Visit site
Same thing happening here. Just piling on. Incidentally, I have always tried very hard to prevent all the syncing the various apps want to do. This has never caused a problem with my frequent call list in the past.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
I think we can rule out Contact sync at this point. Numerous users here and Moto forum have stated that Contact sync is On and they either don't have the issue, or it made no difference whether it was On or Off when they do have the issue. Three Moto customer support team has stated that they are "looking into it" which generally means they have been able to reproduce it and are working on a possible fix. That's not a guarantee, just what yhay generally means. I'm still leaning towards a common app that causes this to happen on some phones, but not all phones

The W12ard

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
Yes I agree. After several days of tinkering about I've ruled out Google backup and contacts sync.

I've been checking my device every half hour. I made several calls each way between devices to force the frequent contact list to show up. Then I kept checking my device regularly to see at what point the contact disappeared.

Interestingly it's been ok for the past 41hrs from 9pm Friday night until 2:20pm today, during which time my phone has done 2 backups, the last being at 10:13am today so that rules out Google backup.

I checked my contacts at 2:15pm today and everything was fine. I then opened my Netflix app to search for a movie and when I exitied the app seconds later my frequently contact list disappeared again. This immediately made me think it was an issue with the Netflix app but I've since tried to recreate the problem by making a few calls between phones to force the list to appear again and then opening Netflix but it doesn't seem to make any difference when I open the app. The list is still there so it's not Netflix but something else but I can't work out what's causing it. It's really odd and driving me crazy.

As this is happening on other makes of phone and not just Moto I'd guess that it's not just a carrier or a Samsung issue. I haven't updated my device in months so it's unlikely to be because of a firmware update unless it's an issue caused by a forced update like Google play services. One thing I have noticed is that when the frequent contacts disappear from my device, my contact info also disappears from my wife's phone at the same time. Both phones are linked to the same Google account so I still haven't totally ruled out this being a Google/Android issue. The plot thickens!

I haven't been able to find any other forums online of people having this issue other than this one.

Last edited: