Always unlock at home?

Lcmv

Dec 27, 2022
Visit site
Hi, everyone. Upon searching, I can find dozens of applications intended to lock the phone/home screen, which I find strange since even my old Android phones did that already without any app, but anyway, I'm looking for an application that will keep my phone unlocked at home, probably in connection with some Wifi hotspot or Bluetooth device. Is there such an app? Like I said, it's been a sea of apps that lock, I can't find one that will unlock though.

Lcmv

Dec 27, 2022
Visit site
I have an Android 11 phone and an Android 4 tablet. I found Smart Lock on Android 11 but it says it only stays unlocked for up to 4 hours. I guess an application would do a better job. I also would like to find the same or similar for my old tablet. There is one installed in the tablet but it doesn't work. I added the Wifi hotspot and it still locks.

Lcmv

Dec 27, 2022
Visit site
I have a lot of old apks saved from the old tablet. It still does a lot with a few games, music, weather, email, alarms, epub and PDF. I just hate having to unlock it all the time. All the time. All the time.

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
I don't remember KitKat that well, do you have the developer option? And then select screen always on while charging.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I don't remember KitKat that well, do you have the developer option? And then select screen always on while charging.

They said Android 4, which wouldn't even be KitKat. Taking the ridiculously sparse amount of info we've been given at face value, the tablet would be running Ice Cream Sandwich lol.

gomezz

May 8, 2021
Visit site
If it is Samsung phone you can set up a Bixby Routine which keeps the phone unlocked while it connected to your home wi-fi.

Lcmv

Dec 27, 2022
Visit site
Yes, it's ICS. Version 4.0.4. It's the best I could get for it. It's the Motorola Xoom, MZ605.
I have Developer Options and it's already set to "Stay awake," "Screen will never sleep while charging." I don't remember when or why I enbled that, but it's enabled. Doesn't seem to make a difference. The screen becomes darker, kind of "shadowy" after some time then it turns off completely after some more time, something like 30 minutes I guess. Either way, I wish I could turn it off then turn it on without any lock any time, but have it lock itself in case it gets stolen.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Well, Smartlock was introduced in Android 5, so that's out.

My suggestion would be to get a tablet that was released in the last decade...

Lcmv

Dec 27, 2022
Visit site
Will you buy me a new tablet? You have money to spare to buy a new one so everybody must have it too. Is that your logic? Ever heard about something called "economy"? Do you ever read the news outside of Android news? Do you buy your groceries yourself?

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
If it's not capable it's not capable. Not much more he can suggest. Lots of 386 and 486 computers that ran fine were left by the wayside too. Admittedly he could have framed it better but that is the reality.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
i do reade the news outside of android, though I can't say I would recommend it. I actually have heard of the "economy", and I do indeed pay for my own groceries, although being British, I don't actually call them groceries.

Look, being poor sucks. I've been there. But you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, and you can't expect much from a 2011 Moto xoom. even if I could suggest an app that would do what you want, the thing probably wouldn't be able to run it anyway. Can you even access the Play store from something that old?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Will you buy me a new tablet? You have money to spare to buy a new one so everybody must have it too. Is that your logic? Ever heard about something called "economy"? Do you ever read the news outside of Android news? Do you buy your groceries yourself?

I often make the suggestion to upgrade to a more modern device as well when people ask about an ancient device that is no longer capable of doing what the user needs. It's the reality of tech. There are some pretty inexpensive tablets available (like the Lenovo Tab M8, available for $89 on Amazon). Whatever you do, though, stick with well-known manufacturers like Lenovo, Samsung, and possibly Nokia. Stay far away from off-brand or no-name tablets (which are rampant on Amazon and other sites), because those will always give a subpar experience.

You could even get a few bucks for recycling that Xoom at Gizmogo.com.

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
Amazon fire tablets are pretty inexpensive as well. Especially if you go for the ad supported ones. Although I wouldn't choose the later.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Amazon fire tablets are pretty inexpensive as well. Especially if you go for the ad supported ones. Although I wouldn't choose the later.

Good idea -- although the main disadvantage of Fire tablets is that you can only use the Amazon Appstore out of the box, which is a pretty awful selection of apps that aren't necessarily updated as frequently as the ones in the Play Store. Of course, there is a way to get the Play Store on Fire tablets, although it's a little bit involved: https://www.androidpolice.com/install-play-store-amazon-fire-tablet/

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
https://a.pomf.cat/tpeycw.png
But all I wanted was an app.

Yep, I looked it up as well, which is why I said "a few bucks." Better than nothing!

You can keep looking for a 3rd party app, but it may be challenging to find one that is still compatible with such an old Android OS version (and in fact you might be having difficulties using the modern Play Store -- I can't remember what the oldest Android version is that can support the Play Store nowadays).

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I'm sorry we couldn't help you find an app. But you have to understand we can't just magically pull something out of thin air. And not answering questions doesn't help either.

I did have the thought that you could set up find my device and then disable the screen lock and remotely lock it if you lose it or have it stolen, but that assumes it will even run find my device. That would also require it be connected to WiFi to lock, so you couldn't have any personal info on there (which honestly you shouldn't anyway with a device that old).

Also as enthusiasts, most of us move on fairly quickly. I hav 5 devices which I use pretty much daily. 4 of them are on Android 13 and one is on Android 10, which I have been thinking of retiring because of how old it is. Most of us haven't even seen android 4 in a very long time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz