Am I being too picky?

samyron#AC

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
My wife and I both got HTC EVO Shift 4g's this past Sunday. These devices are amazing.

I absolutely love this phone. There is only one small, tiny issue that's really bugging me.

While cleaning off my screen yesterday, with a microfiber cloth, I noticed what I thought was a piece of dust that wouldn't come off. I figured no big deal, I'll wait until I get home and use some eyeglasses cleaner (sprayed on the cloth, not the device itself).

However, when I tried, the spot didn't come off. I can't feel the spot, and if I try to 'feel' the spot with a playing card or finger nail, I can't.

This leads me to believe that the spot is not a scratch and not something on top of the glass. However, it seems like it's something under the glass or a small imperfection in the glass itself. I noticed another small spot too near the edge of the phone

Now, I said this spot is small, and it really is. Under normal use, it's not really noticeable at all. In a bright room with a black background, it's sort of visible, but probably more so to be because I know it's there. I have never noticed the spot near the edge during use.

It reminds me of having a dead pixel on an LCD monitor. It's roughly that small, so it's hard to see unless you know it's there. But once you know it's there, you'll see it, forever.

I know I have 30 days to return this phone. Could this be considered defective or should I just live with it? I don't want to pay a $35 restocking fee (though I doubt I would be charged a fee if the phone is considered defective).

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
My wife and I both got HTC EVO Shift 4g's this past Sunday. These devices are amazing.

I absolutely love this phone. There is only one small, tiny issue that's really bugging me.

While cleaning off my screen yesterday, with a microfiber cloth, I noticed what I thought was a piece of dust that wouldn't come off. I figured no big deal, I'll wait until I get home and use some eyeglasses cleaner (sprayed on the cloth, not the device itself).

However, when I tried, the spot didn't come off. I can't feel the spot, and if I try to 'feel' the spot with a playing card or finger nail, I can't.

This leads me to believe that the spot is not a scratch and not something on top of the glass. However, it seems like it's something under the glass or a small imperfection in the glass itself. I noticed another small spot too near the edge of the phone

Now, I said this spot is small, and it really is. Under normal use, it's not really noticeable at all. In a bright room with a black background, it's sort of visible, but probably more so to be because I know it's there. I have never noticed the spot near the edge during use.

It reminds me of having a dead pixel on an LCD monitor. It's roughly that small, so it's hard to see unless you know it's there. But once you know it's there, you'll see it, forever.

I know I have 30 days to return this phone. Could this be considered defective or should I just live with it? I don't want to pay a $35 restocking fee (though I doubt I would be charged a fee if the phone is considered defective).

when you pay that kind of money for a phone it should be prestine when you get it. go in and tell them you want a replacement and you are not paying $35 to fix something that should have been right the first time

Krgdesigns

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
if its a dead pixel then there should be no restocking fee and if you are exchanging it then it should be a straight swap and no restocking fee. I say if it bugs you exchange it now while you can

Dave Blake

May 7, 2010
Visit site
That's what the exchange period is for for us super picky OCD people to have a chance to make sure things are rite.

Take it back,
Dave

bahall

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
That's right Dave!
Id take it back. I had a very small scratch on my Shift when I got it. Barley visible to anyone but me, but I still noticed it. So I took it back to the Radio Shack where I bought it. I got some strange looks but hey, oh well. Then on my second phone, the "I" button on the keyboard doesn't work, so I took it back agaiin. The people at radio shack said they only do one swap out per customer and now the phone was sprints problem. So I took it to sprint, and sprint told me to take it back to where I purchaced it from. I'm now stuck with a keyboard where I have to push the "I" button like 9 times for it to work. Word of advice, don't buy at radio shack.

Illmusiq

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
That's right Dave!
Id take it back. I had a very small scratch on my Shift when I got it. Barley visible to anyone but me, but I still noticed it. So I took it back to the Radio Shack where I bought it. I got some strange looks but hey, oh well. Then on my second phone, the "I" button on the keyboard doesn't work, so I took it back agaiin. The people at radio shack said they only do one swap out per customer and now the phone was sprints problem. So I took it to sprint, and sprint told me to take it back to where I purchaced it from. I'm now stuck with a keyboard where I have to push the "I" button like 9 times for it to work. Word of advice, don't buy at radio shack.

Wow...try HTC Best Buy was kind of tripping when I had a few defects with my OG EVO and HTC fixed everything

hank1199

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I returned my Evo Shift after I notice a dead pixel. Just return your phone and tell the Sprint rep that your not satisfied with the condition. Good luck.

jscher2000

May 16, 2010
www.androidwtf.com
The people at radio shack said they only do one swap out per customer and now the phone was sprints problem. So I took it to sprint, and sprint told me to take it back to where I purchaced it from. I'm now stuck with a keyboard where I have to push the "I" button like 9 times for it to work. Word of advice, don't buy at radio shack.

Maybe try a manager. Since you have the right to return the phone for a refund, it seems short-sighted not to do another exchange.

Do you have Sprint's $7/month service plan? If so, they should exchange it under warranty if the keyboard is defective.

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
That's not being picky at all. We pay $100-400 for maybe $2 worth of plastic/metal/silicon. It should be perfect. Honestly id take it to sprint and have them give you a new shift. This phone is too good to let a dud ruin your enjoyment.;)

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Martin_Markov