Am I late to the party? This seems like a security issue tbh

Michael Irzyxel

Feb 19, 2023
Visit site
I just realized, albeit quiet a while since the last update was pushed to my device. Auto hotspot has been always on? I just acquired a new device and when I looked at the wifi availability I saw my old device broadcasting a hotspot. As far as I'd always known, you had to specifically enable the hotspot in order for it to function.

How in the? When I looked at the settings I found the Auto Hotspot option with the slider disabled. Yet, I could still see the hotspot actively broadcasting with another device. When I tapped to the left of the toggle, it took me to another screen showing it clearly enabled. There was indeed an auto hotspot enabled. Only then could I disable it. This is very misleading.

I found the exact same thing on my brand new android device. This seems very sketch to me. I would never want something like this enabled by default. I would always choose to enable at my discretion.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! If you set up your hotspot to require a password to connect, it shouldn't be a security issue at all (unless your password is easy to guess).