Amazon App Now Showing Location of Shipment

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Yesterday I was expecting a shipment from Amazon. Unexpectedly I received a notification that indicated how many stops away it was. When clicking on the notification a map popped up showing where it was (see screenshot). This is the very first time this has happened, and I order a lot from Amazon. I did get an Amazon app update a couple of days prior but the update description didn't list this as a part of it.
I think this is a great feature.

767672b1bda73f893c02a408c407b9b3.jpg

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
That's weird, the Amazon app has worked like that for me for at least the last 3 years...
I've always had the timeline, and when clicking on it I could see, in text, the shipping history and locations.
I've never had a map showing the location of the item nor how many stops before it reaches my address.
I'm wondering if this is a (new) Google Maps integrated feature or an update in the Amazon app. Either way I like it.
This is on my Pixel 6 Pro running Android 13 Beta 3.2

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Like I say, this may be new to you, but it's not new.

When I say I've had this for at least 3 years I mean it... it's longer than that but that's how long I can remember it for definitively.

To be clear, I'm talking about getting a notification saying "It's 8 stops away, see where your package is on a map" and when that notification is tapped, it takes you to a google map showing where the driver is in relation to you and how many stops away they are. At Christmas, you'll see the driver icon turn into a sleigh with Santa in it.

Trust me, I am incredibly familiar with this map.

Are you American? maybe it's new to the US (I'm in the UK), but I doubt it...

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
I've seen that before but not every delivery has it... There are someI could see the stops on the map...and others a general time period

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I've seen that before but not every delivery has it... There are someI could see the stops on the map...and others a general time period

It is only for things that are delivered by Amazon... Maybe the OP lives out in the middle of nowhere and they've only just opened a fulfilment centre close enough for delivery by Amazon logistics rather than a third party courier.

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
It is only for things that are delivered by Amazon... Maybe the OP lives out in the middle of nowhere and they've only just opened a fulfilment centre close enough for delivery by Amazon logistics rather than a third party courier.
I think it also has to do with the driver. Sometimes the drivers change the route and it will stop tracking how many stops... I've seen that happen before with some deliveries... Even with the ones from Amazon direct

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I think it also has to do with the driver. Sometimes the drivers change the route and it will stop tracking how many stops... I've seen that happen before with some deliveries... Even with the ones from Amazon direct

I've seen this too, but I still get a map, it's just not useful lol.

The dreaded "The driver has to make a few more stops on their way to you".

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Like I say, this may be new to you, but it's not new.

When I say I've had this for at least 3 years I mean it... it's longer than that but that's how long I can remember it for definitively.

To be clear, I'm talking about getting a notification saying "It's 8 stops away, see where your package is on a map" and when that notification is tapped, it takes you to a google map showing where the driver is in relation to you and how many stops away they are. At Christmas, you'll see the driver icon turn into a sleigh with Santa in it.

Trust me, I am incredibly familiar with this map.

Are you American? maybe it's new to the US (I'm in the UK), but I doubt it...
Nothing in my post indicated any doubt about your experience. My post is about me never seeing this before.

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
It is a very useful feature for me, but I've been receiving those notifications (live in the US) for a few years.

:)

Maybe Amazon recently upgraded some vehicles with the tracking equipment in the area where @Smokeaire01 lives.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Likewise, I live in the USA and have this feature in the Amazon app when Amazon uses their own delivery drivers. I've seen this for at least 3 years.

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Likewise, I live in the USA and have this feature in the Amazon app when Amazon uses their own delivery drivers. I've seen this for at least 3 years.
You are correct. I just checked and sure enough it was an Amazon delivery truck, there's even a picture of the item on the front porch. Looking through past deliveries and the one before this one was also Amazon, ssme three letter prefix. Amazon has never delivered here before.
I have one coming tomorrow (ordered this morning), hasn't shipped yet so no tracking number yet.
Thank you for solving this mystery! I hope Amazon keeps it up.

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
It is a very useful feature for me, but I've been receiving those notifications (live in the US) for a few years.

:)

Maybe Amazon recently upgraded some vehicles with the tracking equipment in the area where @Smokeaire01 lives.
I think Amazon just started in my area since the staging city has never been the town the last two left from, only 15 miles away. I thought that town was curious in the delivery chain. Usually it's here that it leaves for delivery.