News An RFID blocker could be a lifesaver — here's why

gomezz

May 8, 2021
Visit site
I use a Bixby routine to turn NFC on and off as I fire up Google Wallet and close it down. That and blocker inserts in the wallet of my choice does the job for me.

Reactions: BerryBubbles

SnowyRVulpix

May 11, 2024
Visit site
If Android makes a payment as soon as it detects a payment terminal, that is a VERY serious design flaw.

I've only just moved over to Android from iOS and on iOS, not only did the iPhone wait for me to activate it before the NFC chip was active, but it used one time codes instead of being copyable.

Is it a deal killer? No. But I am very disappointed to learn about this flaw. It should not be activating until I've activated it (I have my Pixel set up to activate on a double tap to the back) and chosen a card.

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
Keep in mind, by close, we are talking within a foot of the card or phone NFC chip or radio. RFID is by design not supposed to work beyond that. Many tap-to-pay POS systems have their transmit power up too high. The simplest solution is to lower the transmit power of tap-to-pay transmit power down to the bare minimum needed for it to work.

Also, there will always be a trade-off between convenience and security. Generally speaking, more convenience equals less security. I use Samsung Pay and I have it set up to require my fingerprint or PIN every time I use it; even if the phone is unlocked.

Reactions: BerryBubbles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hooded88