An update my phone downloaded and auto-installed killed my phone after a restart.

Azalar

Jun 17, 2020
Visit site
The phone is a Samsung Galaxy J7 Crown. On the 15th of June my phone downloaded an update and suggested restarting to finish the process. I did so this morning and my phone now will not boot up. Instead I get an error screen ( https://ibb.co/5YR2dG6 ). The text displayed:

---
Android Recovery
samsung/j7topeltetfnvzw/j7topeltetfnvzw
9/PPR1.180610.011/S767VLUDS7BTE2
user/release-keys
Use volume up/down and power.
Your phone couldn't start normally. Some
configuration data may be corrupt.
Follow the instructions below.

1. Try again
Restart your phone. If your phone
continues to be unable to start, go to
the next step.

2. Erase app data
Deleting app configuration data may
allow your phone to start in Safe mode.
Safe mode allows access to basic
functions, so you can back up any
important data stored on your phone.
After backing up your data, a factory
reset may be needed to get your phone to
start normally.

3. Visit a service center
If you don't want to erase your app data
or if your phone still doesn't start, visit
a service center for assistance.
Try again
Erase app data
Power off
View rescue log
---

The system will not power down and instead just restarts itself and returns to a more generic menu which gives the option to reboot. After doing so it then displays this screen again.

Not quite sure what to do here. Pretty annoying that an update I didn't choose to install just broke my phone with no warning. Am I screwed? I'm pretty sure going to a service center is going to cost money and it's extremely stupid that I can just randomly get a new bill to pay beamed into my phone at any time with a random terrible update.

Is there any way around this?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Which carrier is the phone on? If this happened due to an update the carrier pushed out, it should be their responsibility to compensate for it. Show your carrier what the update did, and ask them what they can do about it. If they can't recover the phone, then ask for a replacement phone of equal or better quality.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter