Android 12 beta now available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
Fixed it!!! Found an old article about Gmail crashes. It's definitely related to Android System Webview. But the fix for me was: open Play store > Android Webview > Uninstall (doesn't really uninstall the app, just reverts back to the factory version) > restart phone > back to Play store > update Android Webview > Gmail and many other apps are working again. Fingers crossed this was the only major issue for me on Beta 2.

Last edited:

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Fixed it!!! Found an old article about Gmail crashes. It's definitely related TO Android Webview. But the fix for me was: open Play store > Android Webview > Uninstall (doesn't really uninstall the app, just reverts back to the factory version) > restart phone > back to Play store > update Android Webview > Gmail and many other apps are working again. Fingers crossed this was the only major issue for me on Beta 2.
That's great! that'll be a great tip for your back pocket.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Fixed it!!! Found an old article about Gmail crashes. It's definitely related TO Android Webview. But the fix for me was: open Play store > Android Webview > Uninstall (doesn't really uninstall the app, just reverts back to the factory version) > restart phone > back to Play store > update Android Webview > Gmail and many other apps are working again. Fingers crossed this was the only major issue for me on Beta 2.

Glad it was an easy fix!

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Well this sucks. Looks like a factory reset for me. GMail crashes, Calendar crashes, Amazon crashes, my bank app crashes, lots of apps I need every day keep crashing. Bummer. I tried, guess it's time to reset back to 11

Disable and re-enable system webview.... Google recommends doing that if you're going from 11 to the beta 2 because of your exact problem happening. Definitely easier than a reset ;)

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Quick Tap setting is here but only for Pixel 5 right now.
It's supposed to show up in Settings > System>Gestures.
Nicely explained in this Android 12 Beta 2 review at 9:45: https://youtu.be/YjcmcK4pUSY
8c148093037dbda5a90bfd701ce6f008.jpg
7974f056554ef79e7963b0e98dbe21eb.jpg

Last edited:

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Fixed it!!! Found an old article about Gmail crashes. It's definitely related to Android System Webview. But the fix for me was: open Play store > Android Webview > Uninstall (doesn't really uninstall the app, just reverts back to the factory version) > restart phone > back to Play store > update Android Webview > Gmail and many other apps are working again. Fingers crossed this was the only major issue for me on Beta 2.
Thank God you posted this. Did the beta install before bed and just woke up to my phone not opening any apps. Did what you suggested and everything is working!

sam00

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Anyone else notice you now cannot dismiss notifications from the lockscreen, you have to unlock to dismiss?

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Anyone else notice you now cannot dismiss notifications from the lockscreen, you have to unlock to dismiss?
Actually if you touch one of the tiny down arrows on the right on one of the notifications the screen changes and then you can swipe the notifications away.
I just figured it out right before I saw your post.

sam00

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Actually if you touch one of the tiny down arrows on the right on one of the notifications the screen changes and then you can swipe the notifications away.
I just figured it out right before I saw your post.
Thanks. That's annoying so many more steps.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
I just noticed that the status bar no longer appears at the tip of the screen (with the time, network connection, battery symbol, etc ). I have to swipe down to see that. With all the other issues I had last night I didn't notice that. I'm not sure if I like that hidden or not.

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
I just noticed that the status bar no longer appears at the tip of the screen (with the time, network connection, battery symbol, etc ). I have to swipe down to see that. With all the other issues I had last night I didn't notice that. I'm not sure if I like that hidden or not.
Maybe check your settings. My status bar is at the top. See attachment for screenshot.
a63a7d7fc9d063d50d5da9d0d5f5305e.jpg

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
Hmmm....very strange. I've checked every Setting I can think of and I only see it if I swipe down to see the quick settings tiles. Odd.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm....very strange. I've checked every Setting I can think of and I only see it if I swipe down to see the quick settings tiles. Odd.
I take it your on the OEM pixel launcher. I wish I had your problem. I usually always use 3rd party launchers and one reason is to have the disappearing status bar.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site

I can swipe mine away with a finger while phone is locked, no problem. I presume you’ve done a reboot recently?

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
Yep, stock Launcher. And a reboot brought the status bar back. I guess it's one of those weird reboot bugs I was reading about last night. Hopefully Google has this all worked out by the time 12 is ready for public release.

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
As far as bugs go there are two that I've noticed. One is a bug from the Beta 1, Goggle Assistant won't turn ON"Do Not Disturb" but will turn it off. I sent a bug report on both Betas.
The second is just a bit annoying. When I want to dismiss an open app I just do two swipe ups in quick concession. Worked fine in Beta 1. Now in Beta 2 if I do it too fast before the screen shot and select items show up at the bottom the screen will freeze. It takes about and some screen tapping for it to unfreeze. To avoid that I have to take a beat to let those show up at the bottom to do the second swipe up. I'll have to send a bug report in this one.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
A few things I've noticed. I'm better too: material you theming works 50% of the time. Again, let's realize that it's still beta too lol. Animations are not wonky and they work beautifully. And they really are beautiful to watch. In my opinion, battery life is improved. The music controller widget looks better. All animations and auto theming look better overall. Shortcut for power button for Google Assistant works finally. Double tap on the back to launch any shortcut finally works which is a nice thing. For example, I have it to launch my gym app In order to scan in in the morning so it's one less app on my home screen so I can see my wallpaper better :D:D:cool::cool: Multitasking / split screen mode works better. Overall, the OS feels more cohesive, smooth, fluid, faster. Moreover, would I just notice that if you're using YouTube or any other app and picture and picture mode primarily YouTube and you swipe the picture and picture to the side to do something else on your phone it pauses. And beta one it didn't. I'm not so sure if this is a problem or not. Just something to notice.

Last edited:

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
A few things I've noticed. I'm better too: material you theming works 50% of the time. Again, let's realize that it's still beta too lol. Animations are not wonky and they work beautifully. And they really are beautiful to watch. In my opinion, battery life is improved. The music controller widget looks better. All animations and auto theming look better overall. Shortcut for power button for Google Assistant works finally. Double tap on the back to launch any shortcut finally works which is a nice thing. For example, I have it to launch my gym app In order to scan in in the morning so it's one less app on my home screen so I can see my wallpaper better :D:D:cool::cool: Multitasking / split screen mode works better. Overall, the OS feels more cohesive, smooth, fluid, faster. Moreover, would I just notice that if you're using YouTube or any other app and picture and picture mode primarily YouTube and you swipe the picture and picture to the side to do something else on your phone it pauses. And beta one it didn't. I'm not so sure if this is a problem or not. Just something to notice.
What Pixel do you have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter