Android 2.2 Froyo update findings

beandon

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I think T-Mobile got a TON of pressure from the outside to get this released, and I doubt they would have waited even if they were finding issues.

T-Mobile did not release this update, it came directly from Samsung. T-Mob is still holding back the OTA update for whatever reason.

digitalnoisephoto

Jan 25, 2011
www.digitalnoisephoto.com
Maybe because it was going to behave this way? XD

So far I'm pretty happy with the Froyo update. Battery life is a bit better, swiping from screen to screen with ADW.Launcher 1.2.1 installed is much more snappy. Although Handcent Force Closed today, that hasn't happened in a while.

GPS was seriously possessed today, it took me 7 miles driving down a rather straight freeway for it to figure itself out. At least.

Wifi calling works well. I just think it's lame that it uses your plan minutes.

orgwizard

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
also seen

far as I can tell, for me gps seems accurate, though latitude updates seem to bee f for some reason, where they were working better before...

I have noticed that the battery gauge actually seems more accurate.

let's not forget, wired and wireless headsets now work for voice dialing
so that also means vlingo is fully functional

I think while it's not lag free, it definitely seems to be faster overall.

sucks they changed some setting to do with the lock screens, as tasker can no longer disable the pattern lock while leaving the swipe unlock enabled...
hopefully they find a fix for that...

Overall, the voice dialing and wifi calling alone for me make it well worth while...though still hope t-mo or sammy will let 2.2.1 out of the bag given the supposed performance boost it brings.

namyawon

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
A Couple Other Things...

In addition to what's already been mentioned, here's a couple of things I discovered from the Froyo update on the Vibrant:

1. If you have a Mac with Windows running in a VM like Parallels Desktop or VMWare, Mini Kies will not be able to update your phone. It will only work if you're booted directly into Windows using Boot Camp.

2. Samsung's Music Player now reads standard Android playlist files, so if you use apps like TuneSync or DoubleTwist AirSync to sync your music and playlists, Sammy's Music Player app will now read the playlists that those other apps create.

3. Samsung has implemented a Gingerbread feature: when editing text, tap the text entry box and a small slider appears so you can precision place the cursor. Select/Copy/Paste tool icons also appear when you do this. I noticed Motorola's implementation of Froyo has similar features.

gfreestone

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Pros (for me):
GPS works better
Flash
Tethering
Wi-Fi Calling
Auto-rotation lock on notification screen
Flash
Improved Task Manager
Chrome to phone
New Voice search, gmail and Youtube apps (have to be updated via market)
No gallery lag
Cons:
Auto-mount on USB connect
MMS bug (however removing '-' from contacts' numbers works to fix it)
Power Button ends calls when on speaker phone
Recovery 3e (it was a pain to re-root)
The method of updating. . . T-mobile (or Samsung) really could have done better then a manual update.

Raf

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Samsung Epic owner here....wow, never would I have thought T-Mobile would allow a manual update NOT coming from them directly. This all goes to show that both parties are necessary in making an update of this type. Hmmm.

coye

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
good & bad... so far

Good
- much, much faster
- new T-mobile tv app
- flash sites on web browsing

Bad
- Start up jingle comes on full blast every time you power up (even if on vibrate). Every fix I've read for this involves rooting the phone :(
- Avatar movie wouldn't play -- fixed using the DRM cache clear process.
- MMS messages would not send -- fixed by downloading 3rd party app, GO SMS (Handcent and Chomp are supposed to work as well). I also read that if you remove all special characters from your contacts numbers (dashes, plus signs, spaces, etc.) that it should fix the problem -- needless to say, it was easier to download an app.
- When managing my photos via my desktop, the pics duplicate themselves on the phone each time i disconnect from the computer -- still looking for away to resolve this one.

KahluaMike

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Okay here's the solution for AVATAR. Connect your phone to your PC and select MASS STORAGE browse your SD card and find the movie and copy it to your PC. Then copy it back to either your new larger SD card or to your phone's built-in memory.

I copied it to my 16GB SD card and it plays fine.

blooper

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Can you use the phone as a wifi hotspot without rooting it?

actually. with the new froyo update. you now have an option under your network settings to tether your phone wirelessly up to 5 devices with your 3G. its under settings/wireless network settings/mobile AP. it takes a while to connect tho.

kcrave22

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
Being a Fascinate owner, I obviously don't have Froyo, but dream vividly about it. To ease the sting a little, please tell me you don't have push notifications with the update...

kcrave22

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
Market updates, E-mail (notification the second it comes in... not an every 5 minute refresh option) or, any program where I can benefit from it. Kind of like, dare I say, the ipoop.:eek:

zh3n

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Finally, updated my vibrant. Fixed Avatar viewing it now plays. I used the fix on here. The market eventually came back on it's own. MMS was not working but noticed if you send a picture mail from the photo gallery,it doesn't work BUT if you send it from the contact(whoever you're sending it to), hit menu, attach,pictures, choose the picture then, send it works fine. Android keyboard is gone

Last edited: