Android 4.4.4 AOSP Based d2lte Nightlies

dingermtb

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm excted to see this Unofficial build go to 8.0. Hw said after the next build.

I haven't used a whole lot of ROMS as my i got this phone a few months ago. I did really like SOKP, which since had stopped developement.. i tinkered around a bit until i tried Dirty Unicorns and have been on it ever since.

Sent from my DirtyZombieCorn SGS3 using Skyblue Tapatalk 2

The_Ab5trakt

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
I revamped the list quite a bit. I took out some of the ROMs and unofficial builds that no longer existed or haven't had development in at least a couple months. I also decided to add the Google+ Community Pages for each ROM. Google+ allows for more interaction with the devs of each ROM and it's easier to see if there are any updates. I posted a new link for Android 4.4.4 GAPPS. The link I had no longer existed. So, I posted the link for the Paranoid Android GAPPS which do receive updates periodically. And finally, I added a new section for AOSP d2lte kernels and added a few. For those who don't know, kernels are the power source of your phone. You can overclock and underclock as well as change the frequency, governors, schedulers, etc. I'd suggest downloading a kernel tweaker from the Play Store. I use Trickster MOD. That way, you can control the settings of each kernel to your liking.

For fans of Dirty Unicorns, there hasn't been an Official build in a month and a half. But Joe Carbone has been making Unofficial DU d2lte builds and updating his builds frequently. Instead of posting each build as they come, I have the link to his Google+ page under the Unofficial Builds section of the list. Check the Google+ page for further updates.

The_Ab5trakt

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
In the last couple days, 3 new unofficial d2lte builds came out. Joe Carbone made an unofficial Dirty Unicorns d2lte 8.0 build. It can be found in his Google+ page under the Unofficial Builds section of the list. Also, a DU developer named Alex Cruz released a DU 8.0 d2lte test build. It's also under the Unoofficial Builds section in the list. And finally, a new unofficial LiquidSmooth d2lte build. If you want to use that build, you must do a clean flash before installing it because of how the developer compiled it. It's also in the Unofficial Builds section.

iamanalog

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I haven't checked this site in years and I just happened to see it in the search results for d2lte. I just wanted to say thank you for compiling this list. I'm still a flashaholic even with the support fading for this device (I don't fully see the need to upgrade just yet, soon but not yet). It's nice to have a decent list again especially since xda has gone pretty silent if you don't want a TW based built.

The_Ab5trakt

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
I haven't checked this site in years and I just happened to see it in the search results for d2lte. I just wanted to say thank you for compiling this list. I'm still a flashaholic even with the support fading for this device (I don't fully see the need to upgrade just yet, soon but not yet). It's nice to have a decent list again especially since xda has gone pretty silent if you don't want a TW based built.

I'm the same way. I don't feel the need to upgrade my phone just yet. By today's standards, the GS3 is still a very good phone. It beats out many of the mid-range phones in terms of specs and performance. The only reason I might upgrade is for a 1080p display. But with a screen that's around 5", there's really not much of a difference between 720p and 1080p. With all these ROMs still available, I'm sticking with it. It'll be interesting to see what ROMs will be avaiable when Android L comes along. Cyanogenmod kind of backhandedly said that GS3 will still be a maintained device. They did say that the Galaxy Nexus will lose support.

My phone still runs great. It can do everything every other Android phone can do. One thing I'd suggest you get into is Xposed Frameworks. It can add so many mods to your phone. So yeah, I'm sticking with the GS3.

The_Ab5trakt

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
I added a couple unofficial builds to the list. I hate adding a build without crediting the developer, but I forgot who made it. He basically did a one time only unofficial Madhi ROM d2lte build about a month ago. I forgot until now to add it to the list. I also added the link to the Mahdi ROM Google+ Community Page for more info about the ROM. The link to the build is under the Unofficial Builds section of the list.

Alex Cruz made another Dirty Unicorns d2lte test build a couple days ago. This time, he incorporated the OmniROM tinted status/navigation bar feature. For those who don't know, the tinted status/navigation bar feature changes the color of the status/navigation bar with each app you are using. I'm currently using this build. It works great and is very stable. The link is in the Unofficial Builds section of the list.

I just found out about an app called ROM Settings Backup. It's currently in beta. It only works with AOSP ROMs. What it does is backup all of your chosen settings in whatever ROM you are using. If you ever need to wipe data/clean flash a new build of the same ROM, download the app and use it to restore your settings. Every setting/feature you have chosen will be restored. I highly, highly suggest installing the app. I used it with the 2 latest Dirty Unicorns builds and it actually works. I added the Play Store link to the app below the AOSP d2lte Kernels section. Again, I highly suggest installing the app. It'll make flashing ROMs so much easier.

iamanalog

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
My only reason to upgrade is T-Mobiles new 700a spectrum, out side of that I don't have an interest in a bigger phone which most are now. Though the z3 compact looks interesting.

I do have 2 annoying issues with my s3, my battery is gone again so I need to get another one. And I keep getting this odd screen glitches on non tw roms. Its aggravating,

The_Ab5trakt

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
My only reason to upgrade is T-Mobiles new 700a spectrum, out side of that I don't have an interest in a bigger phone which most are now. Though the z3 compact looks interesting.

I do have 2 annoying issues with my s3, my battery is gone again so I need to get another one. And I keep getting this odd screen glitches on non tw roms. Its aggravating,

If you're having battery issues, you can try flashing kernels to see what the problem is. I have a few in the list. You can also download a kernel tweaker such as Trickster MOD and underclock your phone to help save juice. Greenify or Juice Defender are good apps to help with battery drain also. Greenify helps hibernate apps so they won't run in the background. Apps such as Facebook are huge battery drains. With Juice Defender, you can control which apps connect to data/wifi at which times. You can also switch data/wifi off when the screen is off. Clean Master is another good.app. It lets you know if there's an app that's sucking up too much CPU or causing your phone to overheat. It's also a good app to keep junk off your phone.

I don't know what would be causing the screen glitches though. That does sound annoying. What does it exactly do?

The_Ab5trakt

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
Alright, have yet another unofficial Dirty Unicorns d2lte build for you. Alex Cruz just released one today. Currently running it and it's very smooth and stable. He corrected some issues with the tinted status/navigation bar. The status bar icons, namely the battery and clock icons, are more responsive and turn black with lighter colors instead of staying white. I'd definitely suggest trying the build out. It's the 10/9 8.0 build in the Unofficial Builds section.

Don't let the words 'unofficial' and 'test' throw you off. They're just labels. It doesn't mean that the ROM builds will be any less stable than the 'official' builds. And thankfully, with Alex Cruz and Joe Carbone, they update their builds frequently in case of a bug or issue.

And don't forget about the ROM Settings Backup app. The Play Store link is under the the AOSP d2lte Kernels section. It's a must have if you're using an AOSP based ROM.

dingermtb

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
It"s been my experience that Unofficial builds are better. They seem to be updated more often and the devs seem to give more attention to their builds

The_Ab5trakt

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
It"s been my experience that Unofficial builds are better. They seem to be updated more often and the devs seem to give more attention to their builds

I actually agree with this. It's not just a new nightly that's spat out. More detail is given to the builds.

The_Ab5trakt

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
Alex Cruz released another Dirty Unicorns 8.0 d2lte test build. Currently running it now and it seems quite stable. I had some problems with overheating with the last build. This one doesn't seem to have those problems. The OmniROM status/navigation bar dynamic color changer is awesome. It's awesome how this was ported to DU. I think I've gone back to DU as my daily driver. The link is under the Unofficial Builds section

Don't forget about the ROM Settings Backup app. The link is under the AOSP d2lte Kernels section. I think it's a must have if you're using AOSP ROMs.

dingermtb

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
With the ROM Settings Backup app and Titanium Backup l, it make installing a new ROM as easy and quick as possible. Completely hassle free. Checking out Alex Cruz"s build tomorrow morning.

The_Ab5trakt

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
With the ROM Settings Backup app and Titanium Backup l, it make installing a new ROM as easy and quick as possible. Completely hassle free. Checking out Alex Cruz"s build tomorrow morning.

I agree. Both apps make it incredibly easy to install ROMs. To go through an the features and settings in Dirty Unicorns, it takes me 15-20 minutes to set my preferences, 12 being the fastest if I'm really pushing it. With the ROM Settings Backup app, just takes a couple taps on the screen, a reboot, and all my preferred settings/features are set. So easy. I wish I had this app for the past 5 or so years.

iamanalog

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
On the latest omni, is anyone losing root? I'm not sure if its been mentioned but it's happened to me everytime I install it.

I'm currently on the latest spirit rom and it's really smooth. The only issue I have is with youtube and the fact my battery is garbage, but I have a replacement coming in shortly.

Also funny note about T-mobile, they finally started updating some of the towers in this area and the connection quality and speed is amazing.

dingermtb

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
I, myself, am a big Dirty Unicorns fan. Currently on Alex Cruz's latest test build (10/14). It really is an amazing ROM. I started out on Spirit and really liked it, but after running Dirty Unicorns, it"s the only ROM i run now.

iamanalog

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Cyanfox is supposed to be releasing a new build for d2lte shortly accoring to their facebook/g+. I enjoyed cyanfox when it was out, it was stable and had a ton of features.

dingermtb

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
I"m hoping Alex Cruz does a DU 8.1 build, which 8.1 willbe Dirty Unicorns last and final KitKat build. They will be focusing on Lollipop. The source will be released in the next week or two.

The_Ab5trakt

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
I"m hoping Alex Cruz does a DU 8.1 build, which 8.1 willbe Dirty Unicorns last and final KitKat build. They will be focusing on Lollipop. The source will be released in the next week or two.

I hope Alex Cruz makes an 8.1 build also. I'm currently using the 8.0 build and just flashed leankernel. It definitely sped up my GS3 a bit. Making it run smoother also.

Joe Carbone no longer has a GS3. So, the chances of him making more d2lte builds are slim now. He is making Spirit ROM builds for the One M8.

AICP is probably the closest ROM to Dirty Unicorns. I like the ROM a lot. And it also has the status bar dynamic color changer feature also. They release nightlies quite frequently.