Android 8.0 Oreo beta for Galaxy S8 - Unlocked (UK) Sprint & T-Mobile (US) only.

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Re: Android 8.0 Oreo beta for Galaxy S8 - Unlocked (UK) Sprint & T-Mobile (US) only.

I've done it so many times it's not scary anymore. Like you say, all you need is time. A little preparation doesn't hurt either! :) Most of my preparation is stuff I learned the hard way.

I'm a pro at factory reset now. No hesitation about doing it after any major update... Or even if I'm simply bored :)

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
So how's the new update treating you so far? Does it have the same bugs as beta 7? Does battery still drain quickly?
No bugs here. But I never really experienced any with beta 7. Battery seems just a bit better. I get through a work day with a little more battery than on Nougat.

I assumed this was a question for everyone in the thread.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I did a hard reset after the update and so far the phone has been working very well. It's too early for me to talk about battery life because I ported my number back to Verizon ( I was on T-Mo and rural coverage was a concern) and due to some errors on Verizon's part I ended up rebooting the phone 8 or 10 times. I'll report back later today.

Having said that, I don't think it's going to be as good as it was on Nougat from what I have seen. Like the betas, I don't think it will be truly awful but the S8+ battery life on Nougat was tremendous as far as I was concerned.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Well i was kinda gonna switch anyways. I didn't like Samsung's response to the software update debacle for the unlocked variants, though practically it does make sense.

Plus I'm kinda excited to finally test out the Pixel camera hype this weekend during the cherry blossom in DC.

While I was standing around at the Verizon store I played with both of the Pixel 2's for a bit. Nice phones. Of course now I want one... :)

pankaj981

May 5, 2013
Visit site
While I was standing around at the Verizon store I played with both of the Pixel 2's for a bit. Nice phones. Of course now I want one... :)
From your previous comment, if battery is important then the Pixel 2XL is not a upgrade. I have been using this since more than a day now and battery is more or less same as the S8+. In fact, the S8 Plus' battery kinda lasted better. May be it's too early to say, I'll give it a few more days before jumping to conclusions.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
From your previous comment, if battery is important then the Pixel 2XL is not a upgrade. I have been using this since more than a day now and battery is more or less same as the S8+. In fact, the S8 Plus' battery kinda lasted better. May be it's too early to say, I'll give it a few more days before jumping to conclusions.
I'd say battery is a consideration, not a priority. My experience with Pixel 2s was brief, but positive. I'm a phone junkie anyway and enjoy swapping out devices and trying new and different stuff. I still have a Nexus 5X and I like the stripped down Android approach as well as the security patches.

One thing that would be cool would be if other Android manufacturers could implement the ability to sideload updates. Sideloading an update to my 5X only takes a few minutes and really is super easy.

Last edited:

pankaj981

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Yeah giving the ability to sideload updates will be cool or even giving a tool to update offline when connecting to the PC will be a welcome change. Samsung, HTC and Motorola already have some software tools today.

BTW, standby time on the Pixel is actually better than the non-low-power mode on the S8+.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Yeah giving the ability to sideload updates will be cool or even giving a tool to update offline when connecting to the PC will be a welcome change. Samsung, HTC and Motorola already have some software tools today.

BTW, standby time on the Pixel is actually better than the non-low-power mode on the S8+.
I don't think any other OEM provides the ability the way Google does. Being able to download the OTA image on a PC and non-destructively update the phone is a really nice feature. My 5X only has a few more months of patches before it's support ends.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ukfred