Android Auto with v40 issue.

D_Baine

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I recently switched to a v40 from a note 8 and I love it. However I'm having android auto issues with the phone that I can't figure out. First issue is when I receive a text message I get the visual notification but not an audible one. I use to get a audible one my note 8. Also when I get a call my phone rings but the ringtone doesn't play through the speakers of the car. Second issue is when I try and send a text message through android auto. Everything works fine until it asks me if I wanna send it or cancel it. I say send it and nothing happens and my music starts playing again. During this the little icon that shows AA is thinking is on. After a few minutes it finally says when you wanna finish just say Send it or cancel it. I love this phone so far but these issues are kind of annoying. I've tried resetting AA and I've even gone as far as factory resetting my phone. I'd be grateful for any help on this.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
when I receive a text message I get the visual notification but not an audible one ... Also when I get a call my phone rings but the ringtone doesn't play through the speakers of the car.
USB connection or Bluetooth connection? (It sounds like Bluetooth, but you don't have Media enabled in that Bluetooth connection on the phone.)

consultant1027

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
So I was having all sort of reliability problems with Android Auto not recognizing some voice commands, not recognizing contact names, etc. It was inconsistent and sporadic (and appears it still is for a lot of users.) Extremely frustrating. I found things like "Send message to (contact)" or "Send text to (contact)" wouldn't be recognized most if not all the time but "Text (contact)" would. Go figure. At various points in the chain of commands Google would eventually say "Sorry I don't know how to help with that", again it was inconsistent when it would happen using the exact same voice commands. I finally found a chain of commands that would consistently get me to the last step of sending a messaging where Google asks "send it or change it?" But saying "send it" or "send" never worked, it always resulted in "Sorry I don't know how to help with that."

After spending many hours troubleshooting and then eventually someone in the Google forums suggested adding "PLEASE" Now I'm a polite person and I taught my kids to always say please. But given the context of driving my car, I think efficiency and user-friendliness trumps politeness in this circumstance, especially considering I'm talking to a computer (in lieu of typing on a keyboard) not talking to a person.

I couldn't believe it.

https://youtu.be/ZmbbcVQbQpM

So much wasted time!

I've been a Freelance Web Software Developer for over 20 years and at some point I decided I would "standardize" on the Google platform (Android Phone, Google Play Music instead of Spotify or Apple Music, Google Drive for Cloud Storage, etc etc.) Software development is tricky and the coders, designers and project managers are humans, not machines, so mistakes are made in the design and in the code (aka bugs.) But, Android Auto in my experience so far represents Google really missing the target on functionality and reliability. Yes it will improve over time, but considering the VAST resources and talent Googles has at it's disposal my opinion is that when someone with my background sees so many big issues from an external point of view, it's usually indicative that the group handling the design and development of AA needs some staffing changes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non