Android Central Site Performance

skoenig

Mobile Nations Staff
Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Jeffreytz

We are seeing some bad ads across the network and were working with out providers to address these (especially multiple slow video ads playing simultaneously).

@all Some of the adblockers recently updated their filters and ended up catching more than they intended to (including some files that are important for the site). We've let them know so hopefully updates will be propagating.

~Steph

Delirious D

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure what's going on but the AC site for me has been getting progressively worse from a performance standpoint and now it's become almost unusable for the way I like to browse sites like this.

I'm a Windows 10/Chrome browser (currently build 54.0.2840.99 m) user (but I see similar performance issues using Edge). If I launch AC in a tab, the site is slow, sluggish to scroll but usable. I like to scan through the articles and Ctrl-click the ones I'm interested in to open them up in new windows, then when I've scrolled through all the new articles I work my way through each of the tabs I opened. I do this with lots of other sites (Engadget, The Verge, news sites, etc.) and it works perfectly fine.

But with AC lately after I've opened up a 3rd tab my browser becomes almost completely unresponsive. The tabs are just spinning trying to load up the pages (often I'll go to them and they're just blank, and if I try to refresh them they just sit there). The ones that do have the page displayed are nearly impossible to scroll through and unresponsive.

Just opening up the AC page in Chrome I see my CPU go from 3% to almost 70% as it tries to load the page. If I watch the CPU meter as I scroll through the site CPU usage jumps from 20% to 50%. Opening up three articles in separate tabs causes the CPU to jump to at least 50%. I see similar CPU usage if I open up new tabs via Engadget, for example, however its short-lived and the pages load correctly and remain responsive (scrolling, clicking links, etc.). With AC the pages load some times but as long as I have 3 or more AC tabs open all of the AC pages are practically unusable.

So I'm curious if this is just something I'm experiencing or if anyone else is. I see this on my Core i5 Surface Pro 4 with 8GB RAM and my Core i7 desktop with 12 GB RAM. I don't have this user experience with any other sites, so it seems to me to be something with the AC page design. I've turned my ad blocker off for the AC site (as I do for most that I regularly visit); I turned it back on to see if ads loading was part of the issue and it doesn't seem to be (yes it takes longer for the initial AC window to load with ads allowed but I get the same performance issues with ads on or off if I open up 3 or more tabs).

man i though it was just me. I used to spend hours browsing the forum and posts on here, but then suddenly one day the site just bogged down. It always feels like a burden to get on it, so i don't as much anymore. Takes too long to load. It'll be the only tab I have on chrome, and my hard drive will go from a hum to a roar. Its now 2017 and still same issue. Responding to this thread the site froze none of my typing was showing and my hard-drive started roaring again. then site went unresponsive had to wait for over a minute . thankfully everything stayed in tact after it started working again. there been times i've lost everything. Kinda sucks because i actually like android central.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali