Android devices not keeping time

enigma13

Jul 20, 2023
Visit site
Hi there,

I have two Android devices that aren't keeping time well.

Devices: Samsung Galaxy A20; Google Pixel 7A (both unlocked)
Carrier: No SIM; using as Wi-Fi only devices as I only test with them
Time zone: Central
DST: Yes
Symptoms: Both keep time okay manually, but I think the testing I'll be doing soon will require that auto be enabled. The moment I do that, the A20 falls an hour behind, and the Pixel ... jumps five hours ahead lol.

Hypothesized causes:
* No SIM (can test but am treating pulling the SIM out of my iPhone as a last resort lolol
* Router settings problem (though my PC's, iPad, Braille note-taker and other non-cellular devices all keep time fine)

Troubleshooting:
* Updated Android OS and apps: Yes (no change)
* Toggled auto off and back on: Yes (no change)
* Toggled auto off and confirmed manual settings correct: Yes (including hh:mm, time zone and DST)
* Phones keep time when set manually: Yes (but there's still the problem of automatic time possibly being necessary down the road)
* Checked time settings on Nighthawk R7000: Yes (DST not set)
* Devices keep time automatically after fixing router: No

Halp? I go back to the SIM, but a lot of my teammates have SIM-less devices and can keep time automatically with no issue. Some of them at least have my same issue, so at least I know it's not just me bahaha.

Thanks in advance for your insight. We are many of us new to Android. Also please feel free to move this post if it turns out I didn't pick the best place for it. :)

M

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
Cell phones sync time with the carrier, so, either insert a sim or see if anyone knows of a working time sync app.

Reactions: B. Diddy

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! If you're not using a SIM, the device will get date and time information from the wi-fi network, which can depend on the servers. Using a VPN can give you a completely different timezone if the VPN server is in that timezone. In addition, certain public wi-fi networks can do this if they're routing through a server in a different timezone -- I recall a local noodle place in Silicon Valley that would place me somewhere in Kansas when I connected to their wi-fi.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
If you've made sure that the time zone is set correctly, then my first suspicion would be that the system is set to the wrong region and that is overriding the date and time settings.

enigma13

Jul 20, 2023
Visit site
Thanks! I'll look into both. I did notice one additional symptom. The time is showing correctly in Settings but not in the notification shade. I have disabled automatic settings for time and time zone both and have also disabled automatically setting based on location. No dice. So strange. Any recs/have you seen this before?

enigma13

Jul 20, 2023
Visit site
Just seeing the other replies. For clarity, I am on a private home network but no VPN. I will keep investigating based on everyone's suggestions (though would definitely still love to know what you make of the time showing correctly in Settings and not in the notification shade).

enigma13

Jul 20, 2023
Visit site
Okay actually I solved it. The settings had saved but not taken full effect. Rebooted my phone, and that did it. :) Thanks again, y'all. I'll have more avenues for troubleshooting should I need to reenable auto for app testing.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000