Android P beta available to Essential ph-1!

wmurch3

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
gesture bar seems to work with 3rd party launchers now and is enabled by default. new pixels will probably have it enabled by default hopefully without taking up screen real estate.

so far the update has been great. Google is making good progress... Dark theme needs to include settings.

msr360

Oct 30, 2017
Visit site
comparing the dark theme to my Pixel 2, they need to add it to Google now swipe left and setting. also, the recent apps when looking at app list

philesk

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
Got it yesterday late afternoon. Seems good so far. Wells Fargo Mobile Banking app still won't make transfers, but I think that's a WF problem. They probably are doing a version check or similar.

wmurch3

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Got it yesterday late afternoon. Seems good so far. Wells Fargo Mobile Banking app still won't make transfers, but I think that's a WF problem. They probably are doing a version check or similar.

My banking app won't even let me log in to the app. Keeps saying an error occurred.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Mine shows bootloader is locked even with Developer options set to unlock when I power on with volume down. And not making headway with adb using Mac.

I. Must be missing something.

Start Power Off Recovery Reload Bootloader were only options.

I downloaded both images, OTA and Fastboot to my phone.

If a terminal command is used, thought it would be done from bootloader screen.

I just picked up a PH-1 off of Swappa and decided to try the P beta as well. I didn't try the fastboot option, I went with sideloading method and it worked well.

So far the beta has been bug free and quite smooth. I think my S8+ will going up for sale soon. :)

For what it's worth I used this guide Android Authority even though the process is similar to how I've updated my Nexus 5X in the past.

https://www.androidauthority.com/how-to-install-android-p-essential-phone-863668/

philesk

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
My banking app won't even let me log in to the app. Keeps saying an error occurred.
I tried Citi, Chase, B of A, Patelco. All worked with the Beta 2. Only Wells failed, it loaded, showed balances, but won't allow deposits or transfers. Definitely not an Android problem - but an app problem...

philesk

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
Mine shows bootloader is locked even with Developer options set to unlock when I power on with volume down. And not making headway with adb using Mac.

I. Must be missing something.

Start Power Off Recovery Reload Bootloader were only options.

I downloaded both images, OTA and Fastboot to my phone.

If a terminal command is used, thought it would be done from bootloader screen.
If you follow the instructions for sideload ing the OTA file, you don't need to unlock the bootloader and thus lose all data. The sideload method results in a 'dirty' update which worked fine for me over 8.1. You do need to use adb though and enable USB from the developer options.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
If you follow the instructions for sideload ing the OTA file, you don't need to unlock the bootloader and thus lose all data. The sideload method results in a 'dirty' update which worked fine for me over 8.1. You do need to use adb though and enable USB from the developer options.

That's exactly why I went with the sideload method. I just set up the phone and didn't feel like starting over.

It was pretty easy and didn't take too long.

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
final beta now available! this phone is running like melted butter

I'm curious if anyone on Sprint has the beta running? When I've tried using the beta, the app that Sprint uses to get the phone to activate on their network doesn't run properly -- so I've had the choice of running the beta or having cell service.

If someone tries the new beta with an Essential on Sprint, I'd be interested to hear your experience -- particularly if, and how, you get the phone to activate on the network.

wmurch3

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm curious if anyone on Sprint has the beta running? When I've tried using the beta, the app that Sprint uses to get the phone to activate on their network doesn't run properly -- so I've had the choice of running the beta or having cell service.

If someone tries the new beta with an Essential on Sprint, I'd be interested to hear your experience -- particularly if, and how, you get the phone to activate on the network.

I'm running on sprint. I haven't had any problems activating the phone. It uses Google's built in activation app as far as i can tell.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
final beta now available! this phone is running like melted butter

Did you sideload the OTA? It sounds like it's running well for you. I just reverted back to 8.1 and don't feel like rebuilding my phone again but I might be willing to try the newest OTA.

Has the wifi download bug been fixed?

Thanks!

sales 101

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
Is there step by step instructions somewhere what is required to download to pc etc to do the side load?

All the YouTube stuff to do this upgrade is to type in this command and so on... nothing is very clear.

I use to side load os upgrades and apps in the old BlackBerry days but now a little rusty.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilliejoylene