Android phone with Palm-Pre-like keyboard?

ykurland

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I've been watching this site for a few months now, hoping to see an Android phone with a keyboard simillar to the Palm-Pre (slides vertically rather horizontally) plus a touchscreen.
Does anybody know about either an existing, or upcoming Android device with these specifications?
Thank you,
Yoni

TaeKwonDonkey

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
I have to agree with tada, the pre-style keyboard is not attractive to me and I don't see how Pre users can type on such a small keyboard. But hey, to each their own.

boomhower1820

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
The Pre keyboard is actually really easy to type on. It takes a week or so to get used to it but after that it really is easy to use. I can type on it a lot better than I can the Hero keyboard. Personally I do like landscape keyboards better. Hell I just want a Droid on Verizon. Here's to hoping the upcoming LG is a winner.

shady12#AC

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
I'd love it, I won't, but I almost want to get a Pre just because of the keyboard. I'm about to get a Moment but every phone I've owned has been a Palm. Right now I have a Centro, and once you get used to it a keyboard that small is unparalleled in terms of speed. I can type without looking very, very fast, your thumbs don't have to travel far. I'm sure a landscape physical keyboard will be good but even once typing from memory it won't be as fast as a vertically sliding keyboard.

A slightly larger screened Pre, with better build, faster processor, and more apps would be the perfect phone.

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
The Palm Pre has the most dreadful keyboard in the history or hardware keyboards. That's just my opinion though. :)

shady12#AC

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
When I played with it in the store it felt perfect from the second I tried to use it. I like small physical keyboards. I've had Treo's and a Centro for the last 8 years, so it's second nature to me. All other keyboards seem terrible..but I'm sure I'll get used to them. On-screen keyboards on the other hand, no way. I've tried them and have about 5% accuracy hitting the right key even if I do hit it part of your finger hits another and who knows which will register. And would never be able to type from memory, I don't want to have to stare at a keyboard as I type.

mcduffer

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
I have normal size hands and can fly with typing on its keyboard. I think im one of the few that actually loves the Pre keyboard. Its the only thing I miss on my Hero.

potatoho

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
The worst part of the onscreen keyboard is that it takes up screen space. I have to wrestle with that every time, trying to figure out a way to get the input box and keyboard to fit without obscuring one another.

I would like to see a pixi-like Android device. I don't mind a smaller screen at all. IMO these current devices are huge beyond practical.

dtboos

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Give me a phone like the N1 with a well designed slide out keyboard which resembles the Blackberry 9000 keyboard and I'm in love. That keyboard is the best keyboard ever put on a mobile phone.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
The Pre keyboard is actually really easy to type on. It takes a week or so to get used to it but after that it really Uis easy to use. I can type on it a lot better than I can the Hero keyboard. Personally I do like landscape keyboards better. Hell I just want a Droid on Verizon. Here's to hoping the upcoming LG is a winner.

I agree with you. I had a Pre for about a week and the one thing that I was skeptical about was the keyboard. That was the least of my problems with the device. I actually thought the keyboard was really good. I was able to type fast and accurately. It did take me some time to get used to not double tapping the spacebar for a period. But after a week I was able to adjust. I think the keyboard is underrated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davisongeorge