Android smartphone as main computing/browsing

JustBlaze330

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I'd love a tablet but I just can't justify the cost right now. I have an nice laptop I got two years ago and my Droid x is great for browsing when I don't want to get out my laptop. I'd love something like the galaxy tab for a slightly larger screen but I cringe when I think of the price tag.

Major

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
If I had to pick one device, it would have to be a smartphone. If I could have two, I'd go with smartphone and a desktop (though many people would opt for a laptop here). If I could have three, I'd go with smartphone, desktop, and tablet. That's how I'd prioritize my gadget budget.

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
i no longer have an office job, but still do computery office stuff. this is one of the main reasons im leaving Blackberry. I need the ability to do nothing (ie; surfing the web, blogging, chatting, etc) at work all day once again.

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
There are some sites that work better on the laptop, but most sites work fine on my SGS. I still do a lot of Photoshop work, and store all emails, and other work stuff on my PC. I wouldn't be able to replace all that with a smartphone or tablet, yet.

Plus, I do app development, and there isn't a way to develop directly on devices yet.

But when I'm away from work, I rarely touch my laptop anymore. My SGS covers pretty much everything I need to do away from the laptop, and it is always with me.

valorian

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
There is no way I could replace my laptop with a smartphone or a tablet. There are way too many thing I can do with my laptop that i either could not do or would be very difficult to do on a tablet or smartphone.

Bujin#IM

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
For most of my day-to-day needs, I use my Nexus S 4G. I gave my laptop back when I left my last job, and haven't replaced it yet. Occassionally I borrow Wifey's netbook when I want to do major data entry.

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
i use my phone for about 80% of my internet usage. The convenience of just pulling out your phone is too great as opposed to a big screen with more power and application options.

But I guess if you do a lot of video and photo editing, I could see why you would still need a laptop or PC

_quietly

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
i love having access to last minute auctions or being able to check my email on my phone, but nothing beats dual 22" monitors...

...well, except maybe dual 42" touchscreens :D

lynnpudas

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Not really. Have to do too much pinching and zooming to get it so I can see it. Old eyes need a laptop. I do a little browsing and do have the yahoo app which is about as easy to check as checking on my laptop.

Anyone else use their Android smartphone as their main web browser or for everyday tasks that they used to use their computers for? I'm starting to find less reasons to pull out my laptop everyday. I use my phone for every thing. I was thinking about getting a Chromebook, but I was worried that I wouldn't use it.

lwlamar

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I would say I'm about 50-50 between my work desktop and my android smartphone and I like my phone better. At home, I am almost exclusively using my phone now even though I have a fairly recent MacBook and a latest generation mac mini hooked up to a 32" HDTV. The phone is just so convenient. It fits in my pocket, it is always on and ready to go, and I have arranged it with the programs that suit my needs. I even sold my iPad because I realized my phone did everything the iPad did and it makes calls too (although on a much smaller screen). I foresee never purchasing another laptop and making the mac mini my children's computer and in the future, relying on the cloud, my smartphone and maybe a tablet for all my computing needs.

jwoodsoniv

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I have a laptop that I haven't powered on in months. I don't have much use of it these days. Thanks to my EVO which I consider as a mini-tablet.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Guamguy

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Anyone else use their Android smartphone as their main web browser or for everyday tasks that they used to use their computers for? I'm starting to find less reasons to pull out my laptop everyday. I use my phone for every thing. I was thinking about getting a Chromebook, but I was worried that I wouldn't use it.

Me. I use my PC less and less.

I can use a Chromebook still. The only thing I open on my PC nowadays is Google Chrome. If I don't tweet on my Android, I would be tweeting on Chromedeck.

Deacon#AC

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Now that my kids are on the way out our PC gets used a lot less.
And if my wife or I do go to the PC it's mostly for browsing the web. I'm seriously considering a tablet for that.
And my wife seemed quite comfortable with my phone for browsing.
So i know that she can handle Android.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Now that my kids are on the way out our PC gets used a lot less.
And if my wife or I do go to the PC it's mostly for browsing the web. I'm seriously considering a tablet for that.
And my wife seemed quite comfortable with my phone for browsing.
So i know that she can handle Android.

As the screens get larger on smartphones, I see less reason to go to a computer. And now that a lot of the computing is done in the cloud and is accessible through my phone it makes it more convenient to use my Android device.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
As the screens get larger on smartphones, I see less reason to go to a computer. And now that a lot of the computing is done in the cloud and is accessible through my phone it makes it more convenient to use my Android device.

I can see the home computer being replaced quite easily when it comes to web browsing and other light duties. It's amazing how fast technology has gone in a short period of time.