Android System using 30% battery

anon(7775)

Jan 17, 2010
Visit site
I read every text in this thread because I have this issue. And I tried every advice: I disabled AOD, I installed the package disabler and disabled all that was eating battery (this app does nothing, I verified this), I tried restricting networks to 2G/3G only, disabled location and enabling only when needed (this is a pain in the ***), I disabled Samsung Pay card access from screen, I tweaked all the advanced features that could impact on battery, I don't have Facebook, I disabled the Google backup, I disabled Google photos from backing up anytime, and the list goes and goes... I think I have tried everything, and the result is meaningless. I can honestly say that the difference between having a dumbphone and a smartphone makes no important difference in battery in my case. With everything enabled, the duration is more or less the same. And it's very bad! I come from an iPhone 6 Plus and I start day at 9 AM, well my old iPhone normally was at 20% battery more or less at 2 AM when I go to sleep. This is impossible with my S7, battery lowers 10% after my first hour of use. Now its 17.22 and battery is at 50% so there is no way I will make it to the end of the day, so I'm charging now. If I didnt charge it, battery would die at 22 or 23. So, with this phone, I have to charge TWICE a day to be able not to worry about battery. To sum up, my battery lasts 14hours average with a max of 3 hours of SOT. This is really different from other people I see here or in YouTube that have 6 hours of SOT and 36hours of use. Of course, I tried factory reset with no results. What is wrong? What else can I do?

same for me,I swear If I don't charge this phone's battery at least 3 times a day,will be getting rid of it soon as I can 2 hours screen time I can barely get

aa6vh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Do you have any software on your phone that receives Push messages? For example, Facebook messenger or the Ring Doorbell app.

It appears to me that there is a problem in Android that occurs when switching between Wifi and Mobile, having to do with push notifications. When you switch, the apps have to notify the mother ship of their new IP address. That process seems to trigger the Android problem on my phone.

After disabling the apps that do this type of thing, my phone now lasts the whole day without problems.

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
I found a suggestion on another couple threads, which is to disable Google's Backup My Data under Settings>Backup and Reset. It's been reported as a known bug that interferes with Doze. I've only tried it for one night but the phone started dozing again as soon as I disabled backup.

Seems ridiculous to have to "cripple" the phone to make it operate correctly in other respects...especially concerning there's been ample time to solve this problem. Haven't tried to do that yet, because I want my stuff to be backed up, but I guess I will. Just lost well of 30% overnight, with 1/3 of that attributed to android system. This has been one of the few frustrations I've had after switching over from my iPhone 6, which I could charge every 3 days even after 2 years.

android_problems

Feb 22, 2017
Visit site
Has anyone found any new solutions yet?

Since I installed Android Nougat on my S7 the battery life depleted by about 17%. Instead of 4h SOT I get 3 - 3,5h max. I know this is not half as bad as some of you have reported. But it still bugs me. Because I cannot find the reason nor any solution it seems.

I have used Package Disabler Pro since I bought the phone back in April '16. It used to do a great job in helping with battery life. But now there seems to be a different problem with the OS not necessarily connected to bloatware. It seems that the phone is 'active' all the time although Doze kicks in (see screenshot).

Screenshot_20170222-115028.jpg

Can anyone without battery trouble confirm that this is not normal?

What I tried so far:
1) Under Applications in the Settings app I reset app permissions
2) Wiped the system cache
3) Manually disabled all permissions for each app which it does not need for my usage
4) Disabled Data saver under Data usage in the Settings app and turned it back on (no measurable effect on battery)
5) Switched Location to Battery saving in the Settings app under Connections
6) Diabled most Google related things in the Google App (like Location History, Google Now, Google Voice detection etc.)
7) Disabled backups for Samsung Cloud and Google Account
8) Switched screen resolution to FHD. And switched back because there seems to be no impact on battery
9) Disabled some more processes via Package Disabler Pro (including KnoxAppsUpdateAgent, Hangouts, Game Tools, Game Launcher and many more)
10) Have Power saving turned on most of the time

... and probably some more stuff I do not even remember. I mean it is definitely better than right after the Nougat update - but it does not compare at all to my Marshmallow SOT and battery stats.

Ideas, anyone? I am really lost here. It seems like the promised battery improvement with Nougat is a hoax, at least for Samsung devices. GSMArena found the same thing in a recent test. I hope they fix this soon, because for me battery life was one of the biggest strengths of the S7..

Last edited:

dchobo

Oct 31, 2016
Visit site
How about trying the "Greenify" apps to see what apps are running the background? These apps can be draining the battery and also keep the phone from going into doze mode

mistasethg

Mar 1, 2017
Visit site
Think I might have a solution here guys. As we all know, when wi-fi is activated, lots of apps and services are pulling data in the background, especially during sleep/standby. I just discovered a setting that allows you to disable wi-fi in sleep mode, except when charging. I haven't been using it long enough to observe any change yet, but wanted to know if anyone else had already tried this, and whether or not it worked? Didn't see any mention of it in this thread.

You can find the option in Settings > Connections > Wi-Fi > More > Advanced > Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep > While charging

I'll report back tomorrow to see if this reduces Android System usage at all.

salvuchi

Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
Sorry I already tried this and the battery gains were meaningless, Android System usage keeps somewhere around 20-40%, in my case at least.

filanto

May 19, 2016
Visit site
I turned off cellular sync of photos and also turned off show traffic in my area in Maps. So far with 4 hours since full charge I'm at 83%. I've also used it just as much as normal and I've seen a huge jump in battery life.

Attachments

• 11796.jpg
    11796.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 88

AlexandreK

Apr 27, 2017
Visit site
I found a suggestion on another couple threads, which is to disable Google's Backup My Data under Settings>Backup and Reset. It's been reported as a known bug that interferes with Doze. I've only tried it for one night but the phone started dozing again as soon as I disabled backup.

👏👏👏👏
Thank you flumdog.
I disabled backup 3 hour ago and already feel increase in battery life. No sign of Android OS eating my battery till now.

Chrysthal Methal

Sep 17, 2017
Visit site
note even 8%. My note 5 hs it really low at about 2%. YOu have to learn to maintain your device and remove bloatware. The fact that his new phone is messing up should not be happening though

exactly, i feel like samsung rushed the s7 and s7 edge. i doubt they optimized the OS properly. My note 5 only has it at 2 even now after about 2 years of use.

ikr, Note 5 and only 2 %

Last edited by a moderator:

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Same here my S7 is showing keep awake almost 100 % of the time even with the phone sitting idle. Just for a test I cleared cache, cleared Google Chrome history, stopped every app disabled some normal apps I've been using, have not downloaded any new apps in months, unplugged it at 100 did a restart before unplugging it, let it sit idle, no screen on, didn't touch the phone for 8 hours and Android system shows keep awake for 7 hours 59 minute out of 8 hours sitting there. This is a company provided phone otherwise I would have thrown it against a brick wall. Have not liked this phone since I got it, I would never spend my own money on a Samsung phone. Our choices were this or an iPhone, as much as I do not like iOS, I think I should have gone with an iPhone.

Bart Aerts

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
You could try a Package Disabler (some are free, some paying, some need ROOT, others don't work with root, find the right one for your brand of phone) and disable all bloatware. But be sure to check the list was has been disabled. There are maybe functions you would like to have enabled AND some you really need.

Androidai

Nov 25, 2017
Visit site
Hi,

For people using Samsung Galaxy with Android Nougat 7.1.1 and having problems with Android System.

I have greatly reduced the battery usage of this one by turning off or disabling "Broadcast Channels" under Messages> Settings> More Settings. This helped to keep my phone cool regardless whether my WiFi or Mobile Data is turned on and using any app plus no more heat issues I am experiencing even when playing mobile games.

My android system is now only using 4% of my battery from 20ish% to 30ish% before.

*This may probably work on other phones too, please let us know if it did work for you*

Thanks!

Last edited:

jreuschl

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I have greatly reduced the battery usage of this one by turning off or disabling "Broadcast Channels" under Messages> Settings> More Settings. This helped to keep my phone cool regardless whether my WiFi or Mobile Data is turned on and using any app plus no more heat issues I am experiencing even when playing mobile games.

This must be carrier specific.. don't see this option on a Sprint S7.

Chaos Beck

Jun 21, 2018
Visit site
GUYS I FOUND THE SOLUTION!

So i sum up all the problems regarding android system battery drain in s7 edge and after applying this settings i got my battery running normal again.solutions are as follows

1. Clear data from google services
2. Force stop chrome , facebook
3. Smart alert off
4. In oreo restrict background usage of android system
5. Check that your cell signal are not low
6. Wifi always turn on select never
7. Google backup off

I applied all those settings and in upcomming time i will check what was the give culprit