Question Android tablet - HDMI connection to projector

blackdogsdad

Jul 28, 2023
Visit site
I operate a mobile planetarium and currently use the Android "Smart View" app built-in to my
Samsung Galaxy phone to cast .jpg images and .mp4 video clips to a BenQ projector.

This works very well most of the time, but the wireless connection is not 100% stable: occasionally the
image breaks up into coloured squares.
The disruption only lasts for about a second, but it's extremely jarring to the eye particularly in the
darkened environment of the planetarium dome.
I have to apologise to my audience in advance because I know this is always going to happen at some point.

A cabled connection to the projector HDMI input port would I'm sure give me a stable connection but
my current phone doesn't support HDMI output, so I'm wondering if I could use an Android tablet rather
than the phone...
...so my question is, can an Android tablet output an HDMI signal and of course, is there a reliable cable
out there to connect with?

(By the way, using the projector USB port is not the answer for reasons I won't bore you with.)

The person I spoke to in "Currys" (just about the only surviving nationwide tech suppliers in England)
was unable to give me a definitive answer...
..."Some cables work others don't. You'd have to buy one and try it."
Clearly I don't want to purchase a tablet and a cable then find it doesn't work!

Another solution might be to buy an Android phone that DOES support an HDMI cabled output, but I don't
need to change my phone yet and it would I'm sure be much more expensive than buying a tablet.

PS
On the face of it reverting to a cable in these days of wirelessness seems like a backwards step, but then
again we had wireless TV reception for years before the cable companies came in and dug all the roads up
to give us a better system.

Any advice or recommendations of a tablet and cable would be greatly appreciated
- I would only be using the tablet for this purpose: it would not be used for anything else so could I suspect
be a fairly basic model... but it needs to be reliable!

Thanks!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! First of all, that's so cool -- a mobile planetarium! 😎

From what I can find, the Tab S7 (including the FE) and onward support USB-C alt mode, which means HDMI output using an appropriate USB-C to HDMI cable. Unfortunately, these tablets are still pretty expensive, despite being almost 2 generations behind. I don't think the A-series tablets support alt mode.

Earlier Galaxy Tab S models support some kind of video out, but it sounds like with those models, DeX mode tends to screw things up a bit.

Last edited:
Reactions: BerryBubbles

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
Reactions: B. Diddy

blackdogsdad

Jul 28, 2023
Visit site
I think you'd be better off just using a cheap windows laptop with a native HDMI port.

Expecting actual tech advice from a major chain electronics store like Currys/PC world is unrealistic.
A laptop has been another thought, but it's a bigger item to lug about compared to the phone that currently travels in my pocket. A tablet clearly not so big.
PS You're right... I didn't really expect too much advice from Currys! I just strolled in there to see what they had on offer as these days they're one of the few places you can actually do that.

blackdogsdad

Jul 28, 2023
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! First of all, that's so cool -- a mobile planetarium! 😎

From what I can find, the Tab S7 (including the FE) and onward support USB-C alt mode, which means HDMI output using an appropriate USB-C to HDMI cable. Unfortunately, these tablets are still pretty expensive, despite being almost 2 generations behind. I don't think the A-series tablets support alt mode.

Earlier Galaxy Tab S models support some kind of video out, but it sounds like with those models, DeX mode tends to screw things up a bit.
Thanks B.Diddy, that's the sort of advice I was looking for, albeit not the answer I was hoping for!

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I have a Tab s6 (not the light version) on Android 12 that I connect to a TV HDMI port with the help of the $15.00 Anker USB-C to HDMI in the attached picture.

I don't know if Anker still makes that cable, I bought it in 2020. They probably have a newer version. But the point is, that if you might be able to find a Tab s6 in decent shape, or a refurbished unit. I'll look for the specs that shows the Tab s6 supports this feature.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230728_110127_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20230728_110127_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    380.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20230728_110215_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20230728_110215_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 9

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I have a Tab s6 (not the light version) on Android 12 that I connect to a TV HDMI port with the help of the $15.00 Anker USB-C to HDMI in the attached picture.

I don't know if Anker still makes that cable, I bought it in 2020. They probably have a newer version. But the point is, that if you might be able to find a Tab s6 in decent shape, or a refurbished unit. I'll look for the specs that shows the Tab s6 supports this feature.
Thanks for chiming in! It's hard to find definitive answers on the web about tablets earlier than the Tab S7. DeX doesn't cause any issues when you're trying to mirror/project?

Reactions: BerryBubbles

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for chiming in! It's hard to find definitive answers on the web about tablets earlier than the Tab S7. DeX doesn't cause any issues when you're trying to mirror/project?
Sorry, had to leave as Husband had dinner reservations. I should have waited till I had all the info before I posted.

I still haven't found the name of the 'hardware protocol' or tech standards at that time, but USB-C alt mode does not ring any bells.

When dex comes up, I just close it. I have never set up dex on my Tab s6.

The attached picture shows my TV & the Tabs s6 behind it. I usually connect to a dumb TV, but it's in our camper. This is a newer Samsung. From what I remember this did not work on a Tab s6 lite.

I will check a little more. I need to change out of my dress clothes first.
😄

Attachments

• 20230728_193721.jpg
    20230728_193721.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 10

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I think the term I was trying to remember was Mobile High-Definition Link, MDL. I had wanted to use my old Tab s3 but it didn't have support for MDL.

I found a good deal on a used Tab s6 on Swappa. Came with a screen protector, keyboard case, bookcover case & some other items. It was in perfect shape. Still runs great today. I actually use it more than my Tab s8 Ultra which is a behemoth.
😄

Madd62

Mr. Wonderful
May 31, 2021
Visit site
You need a phone or tablet with a USB 3.1 or later 3.2 spec port.
This maybe the same as the Alt mode B. Diddy refers to.

Most phones even flagship models still use USB 2.0 ports which don't support display / video out.

Samsung models in the S series have 3.2 ports, as do some newer Motorola models. Both OEM:s have their own pc relay software.

The S6 tablet and up also have 3.1 ports. A simple adapter cable will connect both ends. I think MHL adapters nowadays are simply adapters with more connections.

I use a Chromecast 2 or 3 (c. £20) when I'm staying away and I can just use my phone's Hotspot / tethering facility which the Chromecast is networked to) I used to need my second phone as a control unit but not anymore, but this is mainly for You Tube, BBC i Player etc.

Honestly I would get a Grade A or B
Samsung from CEX stores / WeBuy
The Galaxy S21 FE 5g has 2.5 / years of Android updates /Security for around £280 iirc.

The S22 if you can get a major deal, or the latest smaller S23 can be had almost for nothing if you want to start a new 24 month contract

Check phone or tablet specs on Phone Arena or GSM Arena for the USB port type.

Last edited:

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
Not quite that simple. The pixel 6 has USBC 3.1 port but still is a pain to find the right dock. The capabilities of the port have to be supported/ activated by the manufacturer. Google would rather you use their solution, which is, buy a Chrome Cast or Chrome Cast enabled device.

Last edited:

Madd62

Mr. Wonderful
May 31, 2021
Visit site
Not quite that simple. The pixel 6 has USBC 3.1 port but still is a pain to find the right dock. The capabilities of the port have to be supported/ activated by the manufacturer. Google would rather you use their solution, which is, buy a Chrome Cast or Chrome Cast enabled device.
Good info. I hope things have improved since then, or with 3.2 ports.
There's a very good UTuber Tech Tablets (an Aussie in Spain or Portugal) who always bemoans OEM:s not including 3.2 ports on top end models, including Xiaomi which I have, although they have finally started to add it to their latest tablet.
He didn't mention problems with Samsung or Motorola and whoever else includes these ports; and he's quite an in - depth tester, but I guess there are ways to find out.

I would love to have that facility and almost bought an S21fe or better but have to hold off a while.

I'll definitely check that out for my own use.

blackdogsdad

Jul 28, 2023
Visit site
Thanks to all for all those who've responded to my request for help: it's very much appreciated!
(Sorry but I was away at the weekend so unable to say thanks earlier).

I think I'll be going the S6 route (so thanks particularly to BerryBubbles!) as it looks like that's going to work and it seems there are plenty out there, mostly admittedly 'refurbished' which could be a bit of a risk I suppose but one worth taking (?) (I also found a source of 200 units 'opened but never used' but that sounds a bit dodgy to me!)

Again - please pardon my ignorance but I've no experience of using an Android tablet - will I be able to load my (hundreds of) files onto the tablet by connecting it to a PC with a USB cable, just as I currently do to transfer files onto my Galaxy phone?

Then once the files are in place, would it just be a simple matter of opening my chosen folder of files and swiping from one to the next to shoot them down the cable to the projector (just as SmartView allows me to do from my phone, albeit through the air rather than down a cable)?

[Incidentally Mr.Wonderful, I couldn't adopt a system using Chromecast as my understanding is this needs access to WiFi and as I work in a different school each day, access to WiFi would never be guaranteed.

I also don't want to get involved with using a laptop, not least because of the extra kit to carry about (I already have quite a lot!) but also because I occasionally demonstrate total darkness by extinguishing all light sources which is easily achieved by turning my phone screen-side down (as it would be with a tablet) but less easy to do with a laptop!]

Thanks again everyone!!!

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Thanks to all for all those who've responded to my request for help: it's very much appreciated!
(Sorry but I was away at the weekend so unable to say thanks earlier).

I think I'll be going the S6 route (so thanks particularly to BerryBubbles!) as it looks like that's going to work and it seems there are plenty out there, mostly admittedly 'refurbished' which could be a bit of a risk I suppose but one worth taking (?) (I also found a source of 200 units 'opened but never used' but that sounds a bit dodgy to me!)

Again - please pardon my ignorance but I've no experience of using an Android tablet - will I be able to load my (hundreds of) files onto the tablet by connecting it to a PC with a USB cable, just as I currently do to transfer files onto my Galaxy phone?

Then once the files are in place, would it just be a simple matter of opening my chosen folder of files and swiping from one to the next to shoot them down the cable to the projector (just as SmartView allows me to do from my phone, albeit through the air rather than down a cable)?

[Incidentally Mr.Wonderful, I couldn't adopt a system using Chromecast as my understanding is this needs access to WiFi and as I work in a different school each day, access to WiFi would never be guaranteed.

I also don't want to get involved with using a laptop, not least because of the extra kit to carry about (I already have quite a lot!) but also because I occasionally demonstrate total darkness by extinguishing all light sources which is easily achieved by turning my phone screen-side down (as it would be with a tablet) but less easy to do with a laptop!]

Thanks again everyone!!!
It should work exactly the same as your Galaxy phone. You should even be able to use Samsung SmartSwitch to copy everything from your phone including how it's set up to the tablet.

Well, mostly...

Madd62

Mr. Wonderful
May 31, 2021
Visit site
I can get a single phone to connect and stream to a Chromecast 2 and up by using the phones own Hotspot setting as the network the Chromecast uses. Having another phone or device using the same Hotspot connection gives a little more control but is not necessary for me anymore.

However, this is only a secondary backup possibility.
I hope the Tab S6 works well. It should.

blackdogsdad

Jul 28, 2023
Visit site
Sorry but it's me again.
In an attempt to save bothering you lovely people again, I've just had a discussion with a Samsung Chatbot named Maria (although I didn't know it was a Chatbot initially) who eventually came clean and passed me onto a human being.
To cut a long story short, the information I was given is that Android 10 or later will be capable of driving the USB-C to HDMI cable.
I'm looking to buy a refurbished Galaxy Tab S6 (not Lite) and will be asking the seller/s what version of Android is on the tablet: can anyone confirm Version 10 will do what Samsung said it will do (ie fire .jpg and .mp4 files down a suitable cable to a projector)?
BerryBubbles said she was using V12 but that might not be what's available
- can an S6 Tab Android version be easily upgraded?
Sorry to bother you again but my chat with Samsung Support wasn't entirely convincing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana