Android..

frmorrison

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I have read that the Android fork on the Fire is based off of 2.1. Anyway, since the interface is so customized, you wouldn't notice which Android it was based from, and it seems Amazon does not want people to know.

Amazon's appstore checks the apps before allowing you to download them.

grantheppes

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Phil what do you mean by embedded Android?

What he means, I think, is that its not like this is running Android or would be considered an Android tablet.

What Amazon did, which was smart, was to basically make the app section of this tablet be branded as "their apps" for Kindle but what it is doing is using Android apps.

They are using Android for apps like if they had a games section and it was all flash games.

Does that make sense?

grantheppes

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I love Android, but I do have to say that this approach of not bringing up Android was smart for Amazon.

Right now, to many consumers, there is the iPad and all those crappy Android tablets at the stores.

For example, I go into a Best Buy and the displays for all the Android tablets are lack luster and are treated as all the same tablet. If Amazon made this "another Android" tablet, then it would get put into that category in consumer minds.

I think the Kindle Fire will be huge this year during the Holidays.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
What he means, I think, is that its not like this is running Android or would be considered an Android tablet.

What Amazon did, which was smart, was to basically make the app section of this tablet be branded as "their apps" for Kindle but what it is doing is using Android apps.

They are using Android for apps like if they had a games section and it was all flash games.

Does that make sense?

To add to that: amazon basically took the core of android, stripped out anything superfluous (all google apps, all extra code for GPS, 3G, etc.) and then built their own 'OS' on top of it. The only reason they used android was for the app compatibility, which is a must for any tablet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: akhi216

akhi216

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
To add to that: amazon basically took the core of android, stripped out anything superfluous (all google apps, all extra code for GPS, 3G, etc.) and then built their own 'OS' on top of it. The only reason they used android was for the app compatibility, which is a must for any tablet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well said.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiconnolly