Annoyed and Looking for a Simpler Way to Transfer Photos to a Mac

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
I have a Mac running Mountain Lion...which doesn't play nice with the Android File Transfer (ATF) application, so now I have no fast way of transferring my photos to my computer.

I tried Kies...it's awful. It downloads EVERY picture on the phone, which is the opposite of handy. And it's slower than molasses flowing uphill in winter.

iPhoto and Aperture both recognize the SGS3, but neither can see the pictures on it.

I had like 500 pictures from my camera, plus a ton of HDR and additional photos I ran filters/effects on. It was like 2 GB of photos that I wanted to transfer. I ended up using WiFi File Explorer Pro (similar to Airdroid) to zip and download the images, but that took a long freaking time. I'm thoroughly annoyed right now at how difficult and slow this is. It shouldn't be like this.

Anyway, now that I've downloaded the photos, I'm contemplating turning on a photo sync service to just automatically upload my pictures to the cloud and pull them down to my computer from there. I have the four major accounts; however, the two largest accounts (Box with 50 GB and SkyDrive with 25 GB) don't do the auto upload thing. So I'm looking at either DropBox or Google+ / Drive.

Just looking for opinions on this option. Anyone use the auto upload photo feature with a cloud service? Any of them better than the rest? Any of them suck?

Also, does anyone have any insight on whether or not they're going to fix this incompatibility between Mountain Lion and ATF?

Thanks for listening!
k

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Well, it looks like Google+ shrinks the photos, so that's out. I set up Dropbox and it seems to work okay. Unfortunately, it's the smallest cloud account I have (2.5 GB).

Nchaka

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried Google drive? Also, there is an app called Dropsnap. When ever you take a picture it puts it in your dropbox account. I don't tale a lot of pics, but it works for me

Donoghan

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
I use Dropbox's auto upload feature, but I also have the 100gb paid plan with them.

Sent from my Paranoid Android Galaxy S3.

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried Google drive? Also, there is an app called Dropsnap. When ever you take a picture it puts it in your dropbox account. I don't tale a lot of pics, but it works for me

My problem with Google Drive is that they shrink the pictures. I want to make sure it's the original pictures that I'm downloading.

---------- Post Merged at 09:50 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:49 PM ----------

I use Dropbox's auto upload feature, but I also have the 100gb paid plan with them.

Sent from my Paranoid Android Galaxy S3.

Yeah, I turned on that feature and it's working fine. Unfortunately, it's the smallest of my cloud storage options (2.5 GB). I'll have to make sure to pull the pictures off pretty often.

---------- Post Merged at 09:52 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:49 PM ----------

Troubleshoot kies. It does wonders for me.

Kies is working fine for me. But it's painfully slow and it only gives the option to "download images"...where it literally downloads every image on my phone into one folder. I don't need to pull down album art, app graphics, and cached web images. I only want the pictures I took (and the ones from Pixlr-O-Matic and the other effects apps). It doesn't give me the option to choose specific folders to download.

Angelsnecropolis

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't have a mac so pardon my ignorance but wouldn't using a micro sd card be faster than cloud transfer?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Gunnyman

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
here's what I did
I use auto upload to dropbox. I then created an automator script to monitor the camera uploads folder on my mac and import files it finds in that folder to iPhoto. Since I have 125 GB of dropbox space I don't delete the photos after import but you can certainly add that to your automator scipt.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I have a Mac running Mountain Lion...which doesn't play nice with the Android File Transfer (ATF) application, so now I have no fast way of transferring my photos to my computer.

I tried Kies...it's awful. It downloads EVERY picture on the phone, which is the opposite of handy. And it's slower than molasses flowing uphill in winter.

iPhoto and Aperture both recognize the SGS3, but neither can see the pictures on it.

I had like 500 pictures from my camera, plus a ton of HDR and additional photos I ran filters/effects on. It was like 2 GB of photos that I wanted to transfer. I ended up using WiFi File Explorer Pro (similar to Airdroid) to zip and download the images, but that took a long freaking time. I'm thoroughly annoyed right now at how difficult and slow this is. It shouldn't be like this.

Anyway, now that I've downloaded the photos, I'm contemplating turning on a photo sync service to just automatically upload my pictures to the cloud and pull them down to my computer from there. I have the four major accounts; however, the two largest accounts (Box with 50 GB and SkyDrive with 25 GB) don't do the auto upload thing. So I'm looking at either DropBox or Google+ / Drive.

Just looking for opinions on this option. Anyone use the auto upload photo feature with a cloud service? Any of them better than the rest? Any of them suck?

Also, does anyone have any insight on whether or not they're going to fix this incompatibility between Mountain Lion and ATF?

Thanks for listening!
k

I use Dropbox and it works great with the auto upload. Moves video files too.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

aangelinsf

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I just used AirDrop (Android app) and it worked well. Selected the photos, clicked Download, expanded the zip on the desktop, moved the photos into iPhoto. Not seamless but it worked and was fast.

Something Creative

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
I also have a mac running ML and it drives me crazy that these guys cant play nice. It really just hurts the consumer. They need to grow up and realize making things compatible with each other is a good thing and helps everyone out in the long run. You shouldn't be forced to choose sides and be all Mac or all non-Mac. Sorry for the rant.

As far as the pic thing goes, and i realize this is going to be a major pain to do initially due to the size of your photo file, you could upload selected pics to Picassa from your phone and that will automatically put them onto your computer when you open the program. I just did this about a week ago, and while it absolutely sucked while it was uploading a ton of pics, it's not bad at all now that i am consistently doing it a little while after taking pics. Not the best solution as they should be able to play nice and you shouldn't have to use an intermediary like that, but at least it will temporarily solve your problem.

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
I finally got so fed up, I went and paid those crooks at Parallels their $50 upgrade to get the new version that runs on Mountain Lion. I launched Windows virtual machine, plugged in the phone, and transferred stuff all over the place. Worked like a charm.

Apple just needs to pay Microsoft the MTP licensing fees and give us some connectivity.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rdavid666