Any NEGATIVES to the Costco deal?

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Just got off the phone with my local Costco, and the gentleman did confirm that tomorrow at opening they'll be offering the phone w/ accessory bundle for $279.

I don't have a membership, but do have a $50 gift card to Costco (which might go towards a membership anyway, I had no idea they had deals like this) and they said I am allowed to shop with just that.

Between the cheaper price, better bundle, and better return policy, is there any reason NOT to purchase this from Costco? Generally speaking, when something seems too good to be true, it usually is. Also, I am going to be a brand new Verizon customer, could that cause any problems?

Thanks!

Last edited:

cocatholicdad#AC

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
I work for Wireless Advocates the cell provider in Costco. There is no drawback.

Sent from my SCH - I500 using Tapatalk. Rooted on jt1134's Vanilla Gingerbread v7, overclocked to 1.2ghz.

Xenithma

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Only thing I heard is that Costco MAY be using 3rd party accessories so the quality may not be optimal. But as far as I've heard there's been no truth or denial to that claim.

cocatholicdad#AC

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
True, the accessories are not name brand but not bad for freebies. The phones are legit though, and if you have a defective unit you get a new replacement not a refurb the first 90 days. Manufacturer warranty after that. You can also insure your phone thru Verizon still within 14 days of your purchase.

Sent from my SCH - I500 using Tapatalk. Rooted on jt1134's Vanilla Gingerbread v7, overclocked to 1.2ghz.

steverap

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I work for Wireless Advocates the cell provider in Costco. There is no drawback.

cocatholicdad,

My line is not ready for a renewal, but one of my other lines (total of 6) is. Since you work for Wireless Advocates, do you know if Costco will let me use the renewal of the other line. (I"ve done this many times at the Verizon store.)

-Steve

cocatholicdad#AC

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
So the standard dock car dock and battery that are included as part of the bundle are not Motorola

Actually on the super packs like the bionic has I am not sure. I was speaking of the usual accessory packs, case, car charger and screen protector.

DefectiveWeeble

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, even if the accessories are 3rd party, you're essentially getting them for free. Most people buy 3rd party accessories off of ebay later on anyway. If I had a Costco within less than an hour from me, I would be buying from there! Alas, the closest one is about an hour and half away :-\

fatboyslimmy

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
wow cant do at the verizon website says im up for an upgrade but the sales rep i spoke to on the phone said that im not due until dec 1st and that id have to pay 20 bucks to upgrade early. so you guys dont do early upgrades at all?

916ninja

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
What is the 90 day policy about? What if something so awesome came out down the road and I was still in my 90 days? It's not my intention but I would be lying if I said I was not worried. Zero day Xoom customer if that's any insight.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Can I order it online? Or can I go into store and buy a gift card and then buy the phone? I thought 299 not 279

Reactions: erpa

carpecervisi

May 6, 2010
Visit site
can i purchase the phone off contract from costco and get the accessory pack?

I was told at my Costco that they would not/could not sell me the Bionic off contract for full retail. I'm assuming that's what you're talking about. I was floored they couldn't do that, but the guy said "we can't do that, we're not a retail store".

WTF.

That and no 1-year contracts does put a crimp in this plan.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
If it wasnt for Moto and their big extended OEM battery I probably would get a Seidio, like I have for me Droid 1.

I still may go that route anyway depending on how much the OEM one costs.

3rd party accessories aint bad....as long as they're good...lol

b.asagba

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
i got a costco membership today just so i can buy bionic tomorrow. no if only i can find a costco in bay area that has confirmation they are selling tomorrow .

shadowsjc

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
The negatives to the deal:

- several sources have reported that they will have extremely limited stock on hand (anywhere from 6-12 units, as usual YMMV). It would suck to get there at noon and find that they are all sold out.
- you can only get this deal if you are a new VZW customer, or if you are an existing customer that is fully eligible for an upgrade (i.e. your contract expired and you are going to start a new contract). If you want to do an early upgrade, you are not eligible for this.
- if you're not a Costco member, you have to pay $50 for the membership (and you can return the membership if you don't want it later, but it's an extra step)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EverCurious