Any news on Verizon GS3 gsm bands?

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
The Verizon version of the GS3 was supposed to have GSM voice support (but no data) so it could be used as a world phone. Any news on that?

davidlnewman

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
That would make my decision for upgrading from my Thunderbolt. I like the GS3 but I am also considering the Razr Maxx which just was announced that a software upgrade would enable this feature

npo

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
I just spoke with Verizon on the phone, & here's what they said: Global roaming won't be enabled initially, but they're hoping to have it active by mid-July ("prior to the London Olympics"). Said it will be a "true global phone", and will work in countries using both 850/1900 and 900/1800 frequencies. I asked specifically about a couple of 850/1900 countries to be sure (Honduras, Colombia), and she claimed it will work there & "all over Europe".

Last edited:
Reactions: socal

spudskier

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Why is it so hard to make it a Global phone from the start!? Why a software upgrade a month or several months down the line!?

Shadnic

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
I've heard whispers that verizon's inclusion of extra GSM radios might alter the thickness of the phone or the size of the battery....is this true with any other phones? Anyone have any idea if this could be the case or not? I'd hate if this is the reason theirs is coming out later than the rest of the carriers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fatJimmy