Any one interested in the Droid 3?

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I agree, its not like this phone is a single core 1Ghz processor on a 45nm SOC design. Its better, faster, higher res with a better 5 row keyboard. Its a smartphone not a tablet which is what some of these phones are starting to turn into. Many laughed at DELL's 5" phone, and honestly 4.5" Infuse and Bionic are not that far off.

rickhamilton620

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I agree, its not like this phone is a single core 1Ghz processor on a 45nm SOC design. Its better, faster, higher res with a better 5 row keyboard. Its a smartphone not a tablet which is what some of these phones are starting to turn into. Many laughed at DELL's 5" phone, and honestly 4.5" Infuse and Bionic are not that far off.

Indeed, although I personally like the larger screened phones: If those had a keyboard i'd be in heaven...

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
If the D3 doesn't feel too thick, and reviews report that it has sensitive radios/reception like moto is known for, I'll get it without even waiting on the Bionic.

-Suntan

f150fan

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
With the talk of the Bionic having the same processor as the Droid 3 the playing field leveled some. I do like both form factors and the Droid 3 has the same styling of the OG Droid, does its predecessor homage. It looks thin, has a nice keyboard, awesome internals, etc. I'll be honest though, depending on how the screen looks could be a deciding factor for me. The DX2's screen left me a little disappointed. I did not notice it on the Atrix so maybe that is some hope. I hope we can find out what type of screen the Bionic will use and make this decision easier for me. Such is the life of an Android phone enthusiast. Here's hoping for some reviews coming soon and a little more insight for both of these devices.

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
so there is talk that the D3 will have a 4460 too? Last we heard in the Bionic forum from our Best Buy Mobile guy getting info from his district rep is that it will be an underclocked 4440/4460 OMAP 4 @384Mhz.

f150fan

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I thought that the last I read in that forum that the processor was clocked at 1 GHz per core. I thought that the speculation was that it was a 4430, not the 4460 as originally thought. I could be wrong though. I haven't been over there this morning yet. :p

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
If the D3 doesn't feel too thick, and reviews report that it has sensitive radios/reception like moto is known for, I'll get it without even waiting on the Bionic.

-Suntan

Over at Droid-Life they put up an article last night with the 360 pics of the D3. You can find it HERE. Based on the images it doesn't seem that thick at all.

Reactions: Suntan

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
so there is talk that the D3 will have a 4460 too? Last we heard in the Bionic forum from our Best Buy Mobile guy getting info from his district rep is that it will be an underclocked 4440/4460 OMAP 4 @384Mhz.

The Droid3 does have an OMAP 4 processor, but it's not the same as the Bionic. The D3 has the OMAP4 4430 and the Bionic will have the OMAP4 4460. However here is some info from over at DroidForums.net that was posted by tonydelite.

"OMAP 4
The 4th generation OMAPs, OMAP4430, 4460 and 4470 all use dual-core ARM Cortex-A9s as well as two ARM Cortex-M3s running at 266 MHz to offload the A9s in less computionally intensive tasks to increase power efficiency.[5][6][7] 4430 and 4460 use a PowerVR SGX540 integrated 3D graphics accelerator which runs at a clock frequency of 304 and 384 MHz respectively compared to previous incarnations of SGX540 typically at 200 MHz making them theoretically much faster.[8] 4470 has a PowerVR SGX544 GPU that supports DirectX 9 which enables it for use in Windows 8 as well as a dedicated 2D graphics core for increased power efficiency. All OMAP 4 comes with an IVA3 multimedia hardware accelerator with a programmable DSP that enables 1080p Full HD and multi-standard video encode/decode.[9][10][11][12][13] OMAP 4 use ARM-Cortex A9s with ARMs SIMD engine (Media Processing Engine, aka NEON) which may have a significant performance advantage in some cases over Nvidia Tegra 2s Cortex-A9s with non-vector floating point units.[14] It also uses a dual-channel LPDDR2 memory controller compared to Nvidia Tegra 2s single-channel memory controller."

So the D3 still has a pretty sweet CPU/GPU and other hardware to support the graphics for 1080p Video recording and playback.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info Raptor.

By the sounds of it, that family of CPUs does sound pretty fancy.

Personally, I don't need *the fastest* phone, I just want one that will stay relevant, and not be left out, at the end of my 2 yr contract.

Another note, I may be alone in this, but I'm really glad that this phone doesn't have any of those dinky port covers over the USB or hdmi ports. I hate fiddling with those things.

-Suntan

f150fan

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I cannot wait to actually get to take one of these for a test drive. I want to see just how well these new OMAP processors perform. Jerry had a bunch of good things to say about the LG Optimus 3D which uses the 4430 I believe. Should be a great performer.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, the LOG Optimus 3D has the same CPU/GPU chipset, but comes in slightly above the D3 in several tests I have seen, most likely due to the lower res screen on the LG Optimus 3D, still the D3 will remain relevant, powerful and an overall solid phone for the length of anyones contract, even mine when I upgrade again down the line.

darkmatter

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site

-Suntan

its thinner than the og droid, and only .03 thicker than the charge, which is considered pretty thin.

droid3-21.png

This Gingerbread with added motorola features thing is interesting. I wonder if it could be vanilla android with motorola widgets or something. or vanilla with a motorola home launcher (though it would have to be good for me to use it instead of GO Launcher)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ukfred