Any takers on the Pixel?

LailaAK

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
It's gonna be the Pixel XL for me. I just love that HTC's helped with making both of them ??????

just out of curiosity, will your opinion change if FoxConn was the one
making the Pixel for Google? (the same FoxConn that churns out
hundreds of millions of iPhones for Apple, Inc)

tcatnat

Oct 8, 2016
Visit site
I have been waiting for this announcement for a while as I am looking to jump ship from iOS to Android. I have been an iPhone user since the 3Gs mainly because my company always provided me the newest iPhone with each release. It was a requirement of my job. I am a bit disappointed in the price but if it is iPhone quality then I think it's worth it. My big concern is Google's announcement to only support software updates for 2 years. This is a huge issue for me and the main thing keeping me from pre-ordering. I am still using an iPhone 6 and I know I will get at least another 2 years out of it if I want. I a guessing I can get a few hundred dollars for my iPhone 6 making the Pixel more affordable for me.

Down the road if I want to upgrade to a Pixel phone 2-3 years from now who is going to buy my used device that no longer gets software updates. I really like what Google is pushing to do here but they really need to rethink the software support. That and I wish there was a 64GB version for $50 more.

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
I strongly considered moving to iOS this year because none of the Android flagships interested me. Most of them seemed to be trying to out-Apple Apple with phone design and build. But Android doesn't provide the long term support that Apple does (as you pointed out). I even considered the option of selling the iPhone and moving back to Android should I go that route as the iPhone traditionally holds value for a long time.

I couldn't justify the flagship expense for only 2 years support. I figured if I was going to pay Apple prices, then I expect Apple-esque support. In the end, I just couldn't make myself move to iOS, as much as I respect the job Apple does integrating hardware and software, not to mention support.

So I bought one of the $400 Androids running a near stock version of Android and figure I can buy another $400 phone 2 years down the road and still have change in my pocket vs buying and holding a 2016 flagship for 4 years.

I really wanted Pixel to wow me and waited for several months for the Pixel to be announced before making a purchase decision, but came away pretty lukewarm based on my perception of the Pixel product and the price of the product.

I hope Google does well with it, but it's not for me at this time. Good luck with your decision.

JusticeCalibur

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
all i care about is how well it will work with android auto. it should connect without a problem unlike my oneplus one.but we wont know until it gets in my hand.

tcatnat

Oct 8, 2016
Visit site
I strongly considered moving to iOS this year because none of the Android flagships interested me. Most of them seemed to be trying to out-Apple Apple with phone design and build. But Android doesn't provide the long term support that Apple does (as you pointed out). I even considered the option of selling the iPhone and moving back to Android should I go that route as the iPhone traditionally holds value for a long time.

I couldn't justify the flagship expense for only 2 years support. I figured if I was going to pay Apple prices, then I expect Apple-esque support. In the end, I just couldn't make myself move to iOS, as much as I respect the job Apple does integrating hardware and software, not to mention support.

So I bought one of the $400 Androids running a near stock version of Android and figure I can buy another $400 phone 2 years down the road and still have change in my pocket vs buying and holding a 2016 flagship for 4 years.

I really wanted Pixel to wow me and waited for several months for the Pixel to be announced before making a purchase decision, but came away pretty lukewarm based on my perception of the Pixel product and the price of the product.

I hope Google does well with it, but it's not for me at this time. Good luck with your decision.

Which device did you end up going with? Android auto is part of my decision matrix as I am so heavily routed in the Google ecosystem CarPlay is useless and my new car offers both. If I could get Google Maps and Google Play Music through CarPlay I may not switch right now. I would really like a pure android experience with timely updates and no bloatware. To be honest I am not sure what my choices are as I have not spent a lot of time researching. i was hoping the Pixel was the answer.

arthurhkt

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
I will be going for the Pixel, my hand wasn't really big, so holding phone more than 5 inch and above is quite difficult for me, but I am interested to give a chance to Pixel XL as well, it will be my first phone which exceed 5 inch.

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Which device did you end up going with? Android auto is part of my decision matrix as I am so heavily routed in the Google ecosystem CarPlay is useless and my new car offers both. If I could get Google Maps and Google Play Music through CarPlay I may not switch right now. I would really like a pure android experience with timely updates and no bloatware. To be honest I am not sure what my choices are as I have not spent a lot of time researching. i was hoping the Pixel was the answer.

It pretty much came down to the Axon 7, the OP3, and the Moro Z Play for me. For various reasons , pro and con between these particular choices, I elected to go with the OP3. I have no idea how any of these devices work with AA.

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Been using an HTC 10 as my daily driver and couldn't be happier with it. I also have a Iphone 6S that I got a couple of weeks ago. Initially I wasn't going to get a Pixel, but the more I thought, I will. The screen resolution on the Pixel will be better than the Iphone 6S and the weight is about the same. I was able to get an exception to Verizon's return policy and return the 6S ( 17 day ownership ) and ordered the black 128GB Pixel. I use GMail, G Calendar, Chrome, etc. I will be comfortable using the pixel and not have to worry about deteriorating 6S prices. ( Mint $450-475)

samkast

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I bought the Nexus 5X last year because it checked the most boxes for me: a smaller phone, with all the latest Google updates, with a great camera, and decent battery life. However, it didn't check all the boxes for me. For one, I wanted a phone that looked cool to others, the Nexus 5X isn't exactly eye candy. Also, I'd prefer an even smaller phone with better performance. This phone checks more of the boxes than before and includes the VR feature that I'd love to play around with over the next year. I want VR, but I don't think any of the higher end options are worth my money yet. So I know I'm paying a premium and the Nexus 5X does everything I already need it to do. But, I want...

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I bought the Nexus 5X last year because it checked the most boxes for me: a smaller phone, with all the latest Google updates, with a great camera, and decent battery life. However, it didn't check all the boxes for me. For one, I wanted a phone that looked cool to others, the Nexus 5X isn't exactly eye candy. Also, I'd prefer an even smaller phone with better performance. This phone checks more of the boxes than before and includes the VR feature that I'd love to play around with over the next year. I want VR, but I don't think any of the higher end options are worth my money yet. So I know I'm paying a premium and the Nexus 5X does everything I already need it to do. But, I want...
I think it's too expensive right now, just as I think the iPhone is too expensive for what it offers. I will never ever pay almost 1k for a smartphone. But that's me.

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site

My iPhone worked with Google maps on my 2016 gmc canyon diesel. It doesn't obviously pop up android auto but turn by turn works. Haven't tried Google music. Btw, the honor 8, that I'm using right now is a really nice phone. It's fast, smooth and beautiful for $399. That's if you're looking for a smaller device. If I was practical, I'd keep the H8 and cancel my Pixel order but I'm a spoiled brat.

tcatnat

Oct 8, 2016
Visit site
My iPhone worked with Google maps on my 2016 gmc canyon diesel. It doesn't obviously pop up android auto but turn by turn works. Haven't tried Google music. Btw, the honor 8, that I'm using right now is a really nice phone. It's fast, smooth and beautiful for $399. That's if you're looking for a smaller device. If I was practical, I'd keep the H8 and cancel my Pixel order but I'm a spoiled brat.

I took the plunge and ordered my Pixel last night. I did not realize Google has a 15 day money back guarantee so that gives me some piece of mind.

I can get Google Maps and Play to work in my car but it will not display on the center screen, for that I would need to go through Android Auto. I'll have to verify this. I have a 2017 Audi A4 and there is so much tech it's taking a while for me to figure everything out.

mrc13

Mar 28, 2016
Visit site
The more I heard about a supposed (RUMORed) LGV20 being $650 at T-Mobile, the more I want to cancel my order. I hope some reviews come out soon. I'm in a Oct 26-28 batch for my Pixel so I'll have a few days of everyone having them to decide to keep my order I guess.

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I took the plunge and ordered my Pixel last night. I did not realize Google has a 15 day money back guarantee so that gives me some piece of mind.

I can get Google Maps and Play to work in my car but it will not display on the center screen, for that I would need to go through Android Auto. I'll have to verify this. I have a 2017 Audi A4 and there is so much tech it's taking a while for me to figure everything out.

Right. I don't think mine shows on the monitor either.

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
The more I heard about a supposed (RUMORed) LGV20 being $650 at T-Mobile, the more I want to cancel my order. I hope some reviews come out soon. I'm in a Oct 26-28 batch for my Pixel so I'll have a few days of everyone having them to decide to keep my order I guess.

Again. What your getting with the pixel vs lg is ongoing optimization and updates, security patches ect.. To me, these are more important than features. It's sort of the iPhone of Android that I've always wanted. Hardware and software to work in sweet harmony 😁