Any way to do more advanced wifi settings on GS4? [4.3]

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I have a very specific problem, but I think my question has general interest.

I noticed that I can't connect to my Nikon WU-1a (camera hot spot). First it says, "Checking the quality of your internet connection, then I get the error "Network disabled because internet connection is slow". For this function there is no need to connect to the internet as the Nikon application just needs to interact with the camera. The connection from phone to camera works fine with my wife's Galaxy S3 [4.1.2], and I *think* it worked ok on my S4 before I had the 4.3 update, but am not sure.

I suspect a change was made to the wifi application in 4.3 to actually check internet connectivity, e.g., to see if some URL is accessible. Since my "internet" is my camera, this isn't possible.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s3/205415-wifi-disconnecting.html seems to indicate that there is a way to get into a view of more settings than "wifi->advanced" on the Galaxy S3.

This method didn't seem to work (or at least I couldn't figure out how to do it) on the Galaxy S4. Is there any way to get into more detailed settings on the S4?

My carrier is Verizon, in case that that matters.

Paulyester

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
+1 on this, I can no longer connect to GoPro Hero3 Black after 4.3. Zero problems before update.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

troshs

Trusted Member
Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Definitely an issue. I went to my exes house and tried to log on to his wifi (which my phone had no problem connecting when I lived there and it was also okay before the update...) does the same thing. Also at home my wifi randomly disconnects. Its driving me bat s***!
EDIT: I got into the debugging screen on my S4. Hit the menu key and selected Wifi. The button to turn off power save mode was there....now I just sit back and wait to see if I have any more disconnects.
Posted via Android Central App

Paulyester

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Okay guys I figured it out. Go to your wifi page where you would select a connection. Then click your menu button, the soft button with a couple lines (very bottom left on S4). Then select Advanced. In the Advanced settings page, uncheck the Auto Network Switch. Connected right up to the GoPro.

Paulyester

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Here's a screen shot of the Advanced screen

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1385920398116.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1385920398116.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 36
Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
thanks, Paul -- that seems to work for my device as well, although I get "wireless network is unstable" message

Glad it does because I'm looking at getting a gopro as well

I wonder what the side effects are, for normal use?

I have a support message outstanding to samsung -- if they have another solution, I'll share it here as well

JP Wheatman

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
My problem is that once I am connected to my GoPro, the wifi signal gets dropped after like a minute or so. I didnt have this issue before the update. Any help would be sweet! :D

Bradfordj

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I am having the same issue with my Sprint S3, 4.3 update and a GoPro 3 Black. I have been working with GoPro and they just sent me a replacement camera which has the same issue. You might want to contact them and give your experience. (FYI I have tried all the above and more, just can't stay connected for more then a few minutes).

StevenCinNYC

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for posting this. I couldn't figure out where to find the Advance WiFi settings. Simple enough when you know where to look, but I didn't know until I read your post. So Thank You!

StevenCinNYC

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Okay guys I figured it out. Go to your wifi page where you would select a connection. Then click your menu button, the soft button with a couple lines (very bottom left on S4). Then select Advanced. In the Advanced settings page, uncheck the Auto Network Switch. Connected right up to the GoPro.

Thanks for posting this. I couldn't figure out where to find the Advance WiFi settings. Simple enough when you know where to look, but I didn't know until I read your post. So Thank You!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thambu63