Anyone coming from a WearOS\Android wear device?

anon(661246)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I have been strictly a wearos user ever since it came out but decided to give the galaxy watch a try because wearos has been stagnant with updates, performance issues with 2.0 and battery life hasn't been good.

I had the watch for about 2 weeks and my feeling are mixed. I miss assistant and being able to send text or play an album while I am driving. I also miss being able to just swipe notifications coming in instead of having to go into each individual notification and delete them. I do like the canned expressions that you can customize when replying to a text

The battery life is great I get just about three days out of it. I couldn't get close with wearos. I also like the widgets concept I have one with weather and another with the steps I have done. The music controls I also prefer over Wearos.

I also like the new interface coming to wearos and the new processor. I am probably going to go back to wearos.

What are everyones thoughts?

Nacho1545

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I tried Wear OS for two days after returning my Galaxy Watch (which I promptly returned and bought another galaxy watch). Bixby sucks. That goes without saying. You can clear notifications as they come, just swipe up in the main notification area (one click counterclockwise from the main watch face). The health aspect is leaps and bounds over WearOS and as you said, battery is crazy. I get 2.5 to 3 days with heavy use, sleep tracking and AOS. My WearOS barely lasted a day with less stress. If they can make Bixby like Google Assistant it will be the best watch ever made (if it had MST that would put it way over the top).

spud211

Sep 8, 2018
Visit site
I am in a similar position, coming from owning android wear devices since day one, and have switch to give Tizen a try purely based on the hardware.

My initial reactions is that Tizen is a better OS for more involved/productivity type things (e.g. the fitness tracking), and the hardware is leaps and bounds over any AW device...but for me personally a smartwatch is primarily about quick access to notifications and information, and thats where Tizen is a real let down.

It's simply less intuitive to use, and requires extra actions for very simple things that AW did so well. The OP is right that you cannot clear a notification when it comes in "new" - e.g. if a notification appears and shows full screen, you can indeed swipe up to hide it, but you will still get that annoying orange blob to the left of the clock showing there is an active notification.

There shouldn't be - I have seen and cleared it - so why does the watch want me to manually go into the notification timeline and clear it again?

I really miss the app support - again not from a productivity standpoint but for notifications...with AW you could read a full email on your watch if you wanted to, easily interact with paypal, various authenticator apps, google pay, banking apps, BBC news, Ring etc..the list goes on. With Tizen you get a notification and possibly a single response action, but thats about it.

Samsung pay is a pain in the *** purely as so few banks support it in the UK compared to google pay. MST is useless outside of the 3rd world or small town america so thats not a debate for most of us.

Don't get me wrong I love the hardware and it's a great wearable - but Tizen really struggles compared to even the current iteration of AW. I won't make any final judgements until I have worn this for a couple of months, then we'll see if any of Google Partners decide to make a watch with comparable hardware and battery life!

anon(661246)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I am in a similar position, coming from owning android wear devices since day one, and have switch to give Tizen a try purely based on the hardware.

My initial reactions is that Tizen is a better OS for more involved/productivity type things (e.g. the fitness tracking), and the hardware is leaps and bounds over any AW device...but for me personally a smartwatch is primarily about quick access to notifications and information, and thats where Tizen is a real let down.

It's simply less intuitive to use, and requires extra actions for very simple things that AW did so well. The OP is right that you cannot clear a notification when it comes in "new" - e.g. if a notification appears and shows full screen, you can indeed swipe up to hide it, but you will still get that annoying orange blob to the left of the clock showing there is an active notification.

There shouldn't be - I have seen and cleared it - so why does the watch want me to manually go into the notification timeline and clear it again?

I really miss the app support - again not from a productivity standpoint but for notifications...with AW you could read a full email on your watch if you wanted to, easily interact with paypal, various authenticator apps, google pay, banking apps, BBC news, Ring etc..the list goes on. With Tizen you get a notification and possibly a single response action, but thats about it.

Samsung pay is a pain in the *** purely as so few banks support it in the UK compared to google pay. MST is useless outside of the 3rd world or small town america so thats not a debate for most of us.

Don't get me wrong I love the hardware and it's a great wearable - but Tizen really struggles compared to even the current iteration of AW. I won't make any final judgements until I have worn this for a couple of months, then we'll see if any of Google Partners decide to make a watch with comparable hardware and battery life!

You and I have the same use case. It's all about the notifications for me and wearos streamlines it the best.

There is a new chip coming out from Qualcomm and I love the new ui for wearos being released end of this month. I am hoping for a big boost in battery life.

Also when I am driving and I want to play an album it of my Google music library on wearos I just bring up assistant and say which album to play. You can't on tizen.

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
The OP is right that you cannot clear a notification when it comes in "new" - e.g. if a notification appears and shows full screen, you can indeed swipe up to hide it, but you will still get that annoying orange blob to the left of the clock showing there is an active notification.

Huh? I delete notifications as they come in all the time. Touch the 3 dots on the right side of the screen and touch the trash can

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I also miss being able to just swipe notifications coming in instead of having to go into each individual notification and delete them.

If you have multiple notifications, scroll all the way to the left of home and delete them all at one time.

Nacho1545

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I dont disagree when it comes to the Assistant. Playing music in the cat was convenient however I have android auto for that. I'm on day 2 almost of having my watch on my wrist and still have almost 2 days of normal battery time left or 4.5 days of power save mode. WearOS barely makes a day. Guess we will see what happens at the Qualcomm announcement today

ammaralo

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I just got the Michael Kors Runway as a birthday present, however there are three things that i don't like:
1. battery life is bad, a few hours, and I went through half of the battery
2. No rotating bezel
3. Cannot use as a phone, no two way speakers/mic.

The good:
1. plethora of apps
2. looks really nice
3. Google Fit (not sure about this one)

Need help deciding whether to keep it, or exchange for the Samsung Galaxy Watch

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felisovci