anyone coming from the LG V10?

rdimedic

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
Anyone here coming from the LG v10? I currently have this phone and I'm thinking of getting myself the Edge 7.

Posted via the Android Central App

Leykis

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
I haven't upgraded to the S7E yet but I'm seriously contemplating it. I really like my V10, it's a solid phone so it's a tough decision. I love the build quality, expandable storage, removable battery, IR blaster, double-tap to wake and the button placement on the back. Even the 2nd screen is more useful than I thought it was going to be, just wish the location was at the bottom.

What I don't like about the phone? Performance isn't great for gaming, it still has an LCD panel, the speaker is weak especially for calls, LG's UI isn't as good as touchwiz, the fingerprint scanner doesn't function reliably with a case on, and battery performance is dismal, which I guess can be forgiven since you can swap it out.

What appeals to me about the S7E? That awesome AMOLED display, great performance for gaming and the free VR Gear they give you, larger battery and solid battery performance from what I've been reading, they brought back expandable memory, the slim design of the phone even with a 5.5" screen, the edge panel seems like it has much more functionality than the V10's second screen, easier to theme than the V10, and Samsung devices tend to have better 3rd party support and customizations than LG phones do.

The V10 is a great phone and it will be tough to give up but I think the S7E will be a better choice in the long run.

RadiantDuck

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
To be honest, if the V10 was available in contract in the UK I'd pick that over the s7 edge. Just because V10 does almost all I want a phone to do, especially with the high end DAC.

Nevertheless it isn't available, and I'm still pretty excited to get my edge in the next few days!

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
i have the V10 and I am heavily considering the S7 Edge. I agree with many of the points of Leykis. The battery life is absurd. I have the spare battery and charger and I thought that would suffice, but it gets annoying to swap a battery out daily. I have always loved the Note series, but passed on the 5 due to no removeable battery, so I thought the V10 was going to be perfect.

There are a LOT of things to love about the V10. But battery life is not one, and there can be a slight lag, although nothing even close to compare to my old Note 4. I think the 4GB of RAM on the V10 keeps it somewhat snappy. So seeing that I already love Samsung products, I love the calendar, the messaging app, the email app, etc. All the problems that have plagued the Note series are Lag and Battery life. So with the Edge being almost the size of a Note, and with that huge battery AND 4 gig of RAM, and processor update AND software improvements....

This could finally be the Samsung phone that is as great as it looks

rdimedic

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
i have the V10 and I am heavily considering the S7 Edge. I agree with many of the points of Leykis. The battery life is absurd. I have the spare battery and charger and I thought that would suffice, but it gets annoying to swap a battery out daily. I have always loved the Note series, but passed on the 5 due to no removeable battery, so I thought the V10 was going to be perfect.

There are a LOT of things to love about the V10. But battery life is not one, and there can be a slight lag, although nothing even close to compare to my old Note 4. I think the 4GB of RAM on the V10 keeps it somewhat snappy. So seeing that I already love Samsung products, I love the calendar, the messaging app, the email app, etc. All the problems that have plagued the Note series are Lag and Battery life. So with the Edge being almost the size of a Note, and with that huge battery AND 4 gig of RAM, and processor update AND software improvements....

This could finally be the Samsung phone that is as great as it looks

I am in the same boat as you. I LOVED my note 4 and stopped buying samsung after they took away removable memory. I agree with all your likes and dislikes for both. I'm thinking this may be the samsung phone that brings me back to them.

Redraider001

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
I had the V10 since Dec and JOD from TMo to S7 Edge 4 days ago.
About V10: Excellent audio quality even without the DAC. Good lte signal, wifi and bluetooth coverage. While I did like the second screen, I found it limited. Used it mainly as app and contact shortcut. Awesome camera. But never used the manual controls much.I just like to take quick pics not mess around for minutes with the settings. While its a rugged phone, after some time, it does start to weigh you down. Feels heavy and not for extended use.
Things I did not like: Screen. Was barely able to see screen in the sunlight even at 100%. Compared to iphone or Amoled, lacked contrast. Seemed to be washed out a bit.
Secondly, battery life was horrible. I used to get about 2.5 hrs of SOT. Granted it has an external battery, but in practice, never changed them mid day since I never had an intention of carrying a spare in my pocket.

So I changed to S7 due to V10 screen and battery life. I have the extra battery and charging case that I intend to put up on Craigslist.

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
yeah the camera is good on the V10, but I'm just taking random shots, I'm not a photographer. I just leave it on Auto all the time. I do carry my spare battery with me at times, but my phone is encrypted due to having my work email on it. So every battery pop out probably takes 10 minutes. Sure that's a very first world problem, but when you are talking about 700 dollar hardware, it is pretty annoying.

I am a beast on phones, so battery life never lasts for me, the only ones that have stayed on all day were the 1st Droid Maxx and 1st Droid Turbo. So the 3600 mah battery on the S7e gives me hope