Anyone else considering upgrading to S24 then decided no?

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I have the S22 Ultra and looked long and hard at the S24 Ultra and decided it wasn't worth upgrading. I have no interest in AI at all. The only things that seemed to be genuine hardware improvements were significantly reduced screen reflectiveness and improved battery life.

I figured that for me, starting a new contract would be tantamount to paying for a very expensive new battery as that would be they only benefit.

Anyone else that thought about it and didn't do it?

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I have the S22 Ultra and looked long and hard at the S24 Ultra and decided it wasn't worth upgrading. I have no interest in AI at all. The only things that seemed to be genuine hardware improvements were significantly reduced screen reflectiveness and improved battery life.

I figured that for me, starting a new contract would be tantamount to paying for a very expensive new battery as that would be they only benefit.

I'll be honest, after spending 4 days with the phone I probably wouldn't have upgraded my S23U. It is definitely nicer, but not that much and as for the AI... some of the features are quite cool, but having to use Samsung apps to get them is driving me crazy! especially their forking awful keyboard. Gods help me.

Reactions: winmod21

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
I'll be honest, after spending 4 days with the phone I probably wouldn't have upgraded my S23U. It is definitely nicer, but not that much and as for the AI... some of the features are quite cool, but having to use Samsung apps to get them is driving me crazy! especially their forking awful keyboard. Gods help me.
For us S22 Ultra users, it's a bigger jump. I don't upgrade every year. I upgrade every two to three years. My S22 Ultra could have gone another year, but I decided to jump to the 24 because I like the flatter screen. I'm also going unlocked for the first time in eight years.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

From s22u or s23u you don't have to anything older yes I would , there will be small benefit going to the s24u but the 24u I'm very happy with you will get better battery life , flat screen, 7 years of updates , can't see anyone going that long with this device lol but still 3 or 4 years not worry about still getting supported

Reactions: Laura Knotek

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
For us S22 Ultra users, it's a bigger jump. I don't upgrade every year. I upgrade every two to three years. My S22 Ultra could have gone another year, but I decided to jump to the 24 because I like the flatter screen. I'm also going unlocked for the first time in eight years.
Yeah, it's a bigger jump, especially if you are intrigued by the AI as the S22 won't get it. Also kind of a no brainer if you are outside the US and using an Exynos S22 Ultra.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Lots of fair points there. ^
We considered it, well I mean I considered it, for a day or two, mostly due to there not being much else to read about here, during my daily perambulations of late @ AC.
But my Shining Bride would hear none of it :rolleyes:, as she couldn't possibly be any happier than she already is with her S23U (coming from her Galaxy Note 8).
And truth be told, I was perfectly happy with my Galaxy S7 Active📱, so the S23+... is more than alright with me. C'est magnifique! :cool: The Dude abides. ;)

notforhire

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
well, I considered the upgrade then decided against it. then I ordered it anyway and will be keeping my S22U as an emergency backup for either me or the bride. but I definitely will NOT be participating in the Beta later this year. three years in a row is enough.

edubfromktown

Sep 18, 2020
Visit site
I'm close to throwing in the towel for a while.

Update- got a few nagging issues sorted out so S23+ will be boxed and traded-in.

S24+ (hardware) is really impressive and likely as good as it gets along with chonky sib Ultra (other than playing 2nd fiddle camera and app integration to Pixel).

One UI 6.1 has some minor busted up stuff that will probably take time to "normalize" imo

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm the same as you. I skipped the S23 Ultra and kept my S22 Ultra for two years. However, there was enough of an upgrade for me to get the S24 Ultra. The newer processor with better battery life and the flat screen were the biggest things that appealed to me.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm the same as you. I skipped the S23 Ultra and kept my S22 Ultra for two years. However, there was enough of an upgrade for me to get the S24 Ultra. The newer processor with better battery life and the flat screen were the biggest things that appealed to me.
I hope they keep the flat screen for the s25. Hopefully I can make it until next year. Lol

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
While reading about the S24's first flat screen &c, I took the UAG case off my S23+ to clean both, and it looks to me like the S23+ is also a flat screen.
But wondering, is it is? Or is it ain't? 🤔
It has a flat screen. Only the ultra models had curved screens, the regular models and the plus models had flat displays.
Thanks for that Fuzz !;-) That's what it looked like to me. (y)
And good on you guys for realising I meant flat display. ;-)

monkeycsk

Nov 30, 2017
Visit site
i have S22 Ultra and thought about upgrading to S24 Ultra, but decided not to because

1. after trading in, i still have to pay $760 for the phone. when i traded in my Note 22 for the S22 Ultra, i paid $350 which was reasonable.
2. S24 ultra has a very similar design except for the flat vs. curve screen
3. i read on YouTube about the AI, and someone mentioned you may have to pay for some of the AI services after a while.

so i prefer to wait for the S25 ultra for a newer design.

** Feb 22 2024 - updates **
After reviewing a very positive, and reliable, youtube review, i convinced myself to order the titanium green color S24 Ultra with a $650 trade-in for my S22 Ultra. I also feel the 7 yrs upgrade is a good selling point.

can't wait to get it on Feb 28...

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter