Anyone else got a Nexus Player that updated to Google TV interface?

jeregano

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
So I have an old Nexus Player. Years ago it was supposed to not be supported anymore, so I moved it around. It got shifted to the bedroom and I got a Shield tv (2018 or 17 I guess it is) for the living room. I then got a small tube Shield TV (2020) for the bedroom and shifted the laggy Nexus Player to the guest room where it rarely gets used. This weekend I turned it on for some reason and to my great surprise it looked very different than my Shields. It looks like it was updated to the new Google TV interface for the new Google TV device! Anyone else been running an ancient Nexus Player but me? When did this happen? Anyone else even noticed it?

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
They did away with Google Play Movies and replaced it with Google TV. Being a Nexus device it probably ran on Google Apps even if not branded as such so when they shutdown Google Play Movies all of the apps updated to Google TV.

jeregano

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I knew the rebranded the Google Play Movies and TV to Google TV (the Google TV app isn't working on my Shield 2017 so I have to watch my purchased movies on Youtube or Movies Anywhere because they won't Play on Google TV on the Shield). I didn't expect the update to extend to the launcher update/interface for the Nexus Player, given that it is so old.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bakky