Anyone having problems with voice to text punctuation? And mic problems...

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I commonly have problems when dictating to my phone where it will either not add in punctuation at all or add a space before the period. I will say something like, "I like the red ball period Steve likes the blue ball period". It might translate that as a variation of one of these.

I like the red ball. Steve likes the blue ball.
I like the red ball Steve likes the blue ball
I like the red ball . Steve likes the blue ball

I've looked at all the settings and can't find anything. It's also random. sometimes it works fine, but at least 50% of the time doesn't get it correctly. While I had the problem with my Galaxy phones where they sometimes just wouldn't listen and don't have that with this phone, this phone has the punctuation problem that my Galaxy phones didn't have.

Also, as long as I'm complaining about voice to text problems - on my Galaxy phones when I stopped talking it would stop listening and turn the mic off. With my Pixel when I stop talking if the tv is on or even if a song is playing (and neither have to be very loud) it will tack on whatever it hears to what I said. I have to manually press the mic button to get it to stop recording. Any ideas on that one?

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Looking at your avatar, I'm guessing that you're not in the USA. Where are you located? Do you speak with an accent?

I'm in the USA and my dictation and punctuation is amazingly accurate. This reply was all dictated.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Looking at your avatar, I'm guessing that you're not in the USA. Where are you located? Do you speak with an accent?

I'm in the USA and my dictation and punctuation is amazingly accurate. This reply was all dictated.

I'm in Ohio, Born in the US. No accent.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
That's weird that you say that because the Pixel 6 has been the best when it comes to punctuation for me. Maybe try talking then taking a pause between sentences.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
If you click the dictation button once it should stop when you stop talking. If you click it twice it will continue to listen and write anything it hears until you click it again.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I always find it funny when people think they don't have an accent! Everybody has an accent.

Dictation isn't great for me, but my accent is from the UK West Midlands so Google basically stands no chance. That said this was all dictated and on an S21 ultra no less not the new fancy (allegedly fancy) version on the pixel 6.

It did miss a few commas...

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Sometimes I'll have similar issues with my Pixel 5 -- or, when I pause for a hair too long, it will think I'm ready to send the message. I guess each manufacturer has their differences when it comes to voice-to-text! My S10 did a better job from what I recall.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I can't get the voice to text to spell the word 'understood'.

Unders unders unders unders unders

Yeah can't seem to type understood. Weird.

Yes, I understand. Unders. However, unders doesn't work. The Google boys need to jump on this one, that's a very common word. This was all dictated.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
If you click the dictation button once it should stop when you stop talking. If you click it twice it will continue to listen and write anything it hears until you click it again.

I've never it twice. Didn't even know that was a thing but good to know. Maybe it's that this phone seems to listen longer than my Galaxy phones did and the microphone is so much more sensitive that it will pick up quiet things across the room

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I always find it funny when people think they don't have an accent! Everybody has an accent.

Dictation isn't great for me, but my accent is from the UK West Midlands so Google basically stands no chance. That said this was all dictated and on an S21 ultra no less not the new fancy (allegedly fancy) version on the pixel 6.

It did miss a few commas...

In the spirit of his question though, no, I do not have a foreign accent I speak normal English without an accent

And my phone missed a bunch of . Dictating this Although it will put an actual. When I meant to say the word. In the middle of that sentence previous

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I understand. Unders. However, unders doesn't work. The Google boys need to jump on this one, that's a very common word. This was all dictated.

I understand . Understand seems to work fine for me, oddly. Although look where it's putting my periods as I said And this time it actually put in the word. When I said. As opposed to a. As it did in my previously reply

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site

I just dictated the above saying it added the period behind it I didn't say period .. I've also noticed if anything is off you can hit your finger over it then fix it to the way you wanted to show up and it should be smart enough to remember the next time or time after that if you want to give it a try as well.. All this I've been dictating on this. Reply with my Puerto Rican Cuban accent from Brooklyn, New York, lol:)

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

The above two sentences were dictated, and the punctuation was entered correctly.

I'm originally from Iowa and my Midwest accent has stayed with me my whole life.

For me dictation is so good and so accurate that it's about all I do anymore. Of course this entire post was dictated.