Anyone Thinking Of Jumping Ship For The Droid Turbo?

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Man, this thing sounds like a BEAST. I've long admired Moto's build quality and call clarity. This thing sounds like it has specs to dwarf anything else on the market.
Motorola Droid Turbo Back Panel Image Leaked; 3900mAh Battery Tipped | NDTV Gadgets

Motorola's much anticipated Droid Turbo handset, the user manual of which was purportedly leaked last week, has once again shown up - this time in a leaked image on Twitter.

The image tweeted by @DroidLanding shows the Droid Turbo's red-coloured textured back panel featuring a camera and two LED flash modules on either side just as expected, a design first introduced with the Moto X (Gen 2). A Motorola logo in the centre and Verizon branding at the bottom are also visible in the leaked image.

Also, as seen in the leaked user manual (which didn't contain an image of the back panel) previously, the Droid Turbo in the leaked image also features a power button and two volume buttons on the right-side bezel.

The image tweeted by @DroidLanding has now been deleted. However, Phonearena managed to get its hands on the image.

Moreover, the Motorola Droid Turbo smartphone is also being tipped to feature a 3900mAh battery that can be fully charged in 3 hours. The image of the battery showed Motorola EQ40 printed on it, which is the same codename used when the handset was approved by the FCC as per Phonearena.

The Motorola Droid Turbo, as per its leaked user manual, features a 5.2-inch display, a 21-megapixel rear camera with dual-LED flash, and features like Moto Actions, Moto Display and Moto Connect.

Besides 4G LTE, the Droid Turbo also features Bluetooth, NFC, Wi-Fi and GPS connectivity options. Qi wireless charging compatibility is also mentioned as one of the features of the handset, along with support for Motorola's Turbo Charger.

motorola_droid_turbo_back_panel_red_leak_phonearena_droid_landing.jpg

Attachments

• droid-turbo-back1.jpg
    droid-turbo-back1.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 57

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Yep, I have my eye on it. I'm somewhat bored with Samsung but will wait until I can get hands on, although I have read through the manual that was leaked. Sounds like a awesome device to me!

Crimsonforce

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Moto probably mucked up the camera, again. The MP count doesn't really matter unless they've fixed their photo processing software. The camera is very important, to me, so that's why I generally avoid Moto phones..

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
It looks like a great phone, but not jumping ship.

Posted from my Monster Galaxy Note 10.1 via Android Central App

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
No doubt its battery life and call quality will be great. But I got burned with their horrible camera and UI lags on Razr HD prior to switching to S5. I'm happy with S5's screen, camera, battery life. I will pass and look for S6 or G4 next year.

kenorian

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I used, and liked, the Droid Razr Max HD for a couple of years. When I saw the rumors of the Turbo coming out, I thought about waiting - and opted for the S5 about a month ago.

Amidst all the hot specs (which, in a half year won't be as hot as the newest generation that will be out then) I really like the external SD card, and REALLY like a removeable battery. My Maxx had great performance for around a year. Then, like all batteries that go through hundreds of charging cycles, it started to loose its mojo. I have and extra battery now, and swap them them once a month. Plus, the availability of the S5 on multiple carriers ensures that it will have a wider variety of accessories and bigger user community.

So, happy where I am as an S5 user.

1Coopgt

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Very Tempting .Love the looks of the Turbo . Nice spec's too. Hope the display is awesome and the camera . Folks there may be a S5 in awesome condition for sale . When does the Turbo get released ?

1Coopgt

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
I had the Droid X and I came from the Draiod RAZR Maxx. Also had a Moto Razr back in the day. LOL . I like Moto Phones .

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I would have moved from the GS5 to the Turbo, but decided to jump on the Moto X bandwagon. I hope the Turbo does well, then I'll jump on the second gen Turbo bandwagon next year.

Posted via the Android Central App

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
More info!!!

Motorola Stomps Rivals. World's Biggest Battery Spotted In New Galaxy S5 Killer - Forbes

Look out iPhone 6 and Galaxy S5, on paper there is a new king in town. Having already turned heads by outgunning its biggest rivals, Motorola’s new ‘Droid Turbo’ smartphone has revealed another exciting piece in the puzzle: it will have the world’s largest phone battery. How big? A massive 3900 milliamp hours (mAh). For context that is significantly larger than any battery seen in rival smartphones or even most phablets:

Leading Smartphones

Apple AAPL -1.06% iPhone 6 – 1810mAh
Samsung Galaxy S5 – 2800mAh
HTC One M8 – 2600mAh
Motorola Moto X – 2300mAh
Sony Xperia Z3 – 3100mAh
Leading Phablets

Apple iPhone 6 Plus – 2915mAh
Samsung Galaxy Note 4 – 3220mAh
Sony Xperia Z Ultra – 3050mAh

Motorola Droid Turbo (image courtesy of motofirmware.com)

This information comes after Droid-Life discovered the Turbo’s battery on Alibaba-owned retailer Taobao after matching its ‘Motorola EQ40’ reference to the same EQ40 battery reference Motorola tagged in the phone’s FCC filing. This also ties in with language used in the Droid Turbo’s leaked manual (pdf link) which explains that the boundary pushing handset has a “high-capacity long lasting battery”.

Motorola is no stranger to fitting very large batteries in its phones after the Motorola Maxx was sold with a 3500mAh battery (interestingly reference code: EU40) in August 2013. The Maxx was one of its last handsets Motorola released before its Google GOOGL +0.64% revitalisation and relaunch which has so far produced budget marvel the Moto E, midrange champ the Moto G and the flagship Moto X (my smartphone of the year).

Read more: New Motorola Smartphone Leaves Galaxy S5 And iPhone 6 Outgunned

Leaked Droid Turbo 3900mAh battery (image courtesy of Droid Life)

Jaw Dropping Specifications

Furthermore, the upcoming Droid Turbo’s monstrous battery is set to be part of a handset with a truly mouthwatering specifications list. The aforementioned manual confirms it will have:

The first 5.2-inch 2k (2,560 x 1,440) display
A cutting edge Snapdragon 805 chipset with Krait 450 GPU
Phablet-matching 3GB of RAM
21 megapixel camera
Needless to say these specifications suggest a good battery is a requirement, rather than an option, but a capacity of 3900mAh has the potential to see it be classed in days instead of hours.

Let Downs

Disappointments? There are a few. Firstly the manual confirms no microSD support and secondly there is just 32GB of onboard storage, which is low for a handset with such a large camera sensor. Thirdly the Droid Turbo appears to have capacitive rather than onscreen keys, something which will split opinions, and finally the name implied this is a Verizon exclusive – at least initially.

Of course at this point it is important to note that specifications alone are far from the only requirement in making a good smartphone. As I noted in my iPhone 6 review, perhaps the greatest triumph of Apple’s new handset is in how it competes so effectively with Android-based rivals despite having far weaker specifications on paper.

That said what excites about the Droid Turbo is that up to now Motorola has been the Apple of the Android world. It uses virtually stock Android and (in my opinion) currently has the best budget, midrange and premium smartphones available in the Moto E, Moto G and Moto X despite rivals having higher specifications. So what can Motorola achieve when it lets its hair down with the Droid Turbo?

Read more: Motorola Moto X (2014) Review: The Year’s Best Smartphone

Verizon Droid Does Teaser Page

Availability – Two Weeks

Happily we shouldn’t have to wait long to find out. Verizon today relaunched its ‘Droid Does’ website signifying a two week countdown (screengrab above) and, given all the Droid Turbo leaks, it is almost impossible the launch could be for anything else.

With the Motorola-built monstrous Nexus 6 also expected to be announced tomorrow and Lenovo’s takeover of Motorola set to close shortly, this is a company loving its new lease of life.

Rmedy21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I would rather choose nexus over the DROID turbo. In my opinion the best DROID phone ever was the Motorola DROID. The speaker was amazing

Posted via Verizon Galaxy S5😎