Anyone use a second party keyboard?

gtt1

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
I really like the keyboard that is on my Samsung tab but I
guess other companies keyboards can't be ported to competitors phones.

Anyone tried any other keyboard with the Z2?

Lord Mosh

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
I was used to the Samsung kb. Then, when I got the ZF2 I tried SwiftKey. I like it a lot! Way better than the other 2 IMO.

Posted via the Android Central App

miguel11691

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
I use go keyboard... the Asus keyboard was just to weird for me... Go Keyboard has great skins and it is very fast and fluid

Posted via the Android Central App on the Asus Zenfone 2

OhAlfie

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Google keyboard

Posted via the Android Central App

I don't like how much this Keyboard (and other third part ones) pry into you private stuff so I don't use any of them.

Saw this article about some of the privacy issues:

Let’s take a look at what’s going on here. First off, Google Keyboard has access to your own contact card, and accounts on your device. This means it has the ability to know who you are, and all of the Email (and other) accounts you have available on your device. That means it’s possible for them to see what Google/Dropbox/ Twitter/Microsoft Exchange/Facebook accounts you have available on your phone. I have absolutely no idea why this is needed, nor why people are willing to give this information over.

Next up, the app can read your contacts. That’s fair enough–Google obviously want to add your contact names to the spell-checker and auto-complete databases. This makes sense, and is something justifiable for a keyboard. The ability to modify or delete the contents of USB storage is somewhat strange, but while it does allow access to all your data stored on your “SD card,” there’s unfortunately no real way to do this in any more granular way. Ideally, Google would only use the secure /data/data storage, and therefore wouldn’t need this. Alternatively, they could use ASEC containers to transparently get more storage space on your SD card, without requiring any access to your persona files on the SD card.

The ability to download files without notification is where it starts to get properly concerning – note that these permissions are tucked away at the bottom of the list, so you must scroll to reach them. Quite why a keyboard needs the ability to not just download files, but do so without telling the user, certainly is worrying. How much data does it really need to download without telling you?

The ability to run at startup is fine. That’s something you would reasonably expect from a keyboard application. On the other hand, tucked away, immediately after perhaps the most innocuous permission, is the most invasive: full Internet access.

Yes, that’s right, Google Keyboard has full and unfettered access to the Internet, as well as your keystrokes, and contacts, and SD card contents, and identity. And our permissions list immediately jumps into saying that Google Keyboard can harmlessly use your keyboard. Anyone think there’s a little bit of “hiding” the nasty permissions going on here?

The next two permissions are innocuous, and allow access to the user’s custom dictionary—again, totally expected from a keyboard application. Finally, the permission to view network connections is requested. I once again cannot offer any insight as to why there’s a need for this, other than to facilitate the other existing permissions for accessing the Internet without your knowledge.

As a keyboard, Google’s offering is ironically rather well-endowed with permissions. Indeed, at this point, I thought it would be difficult to find a keyboard with even less regard for user privacy in its selection of permissions. Unfortunately, I was wrong.

gtt1

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the info'
I tried Swiftkey once a while back and found it didn't do as well predicting as the keyboard on my Nexus 4 ( I assume it used google keyboard). Tried Go keyboard and didn't like it. Might give both Swiftkey and Google a try.

My main dislike with Asus keyboard is it is poor at predicting and the space bar goes to low and I keep accidentally hitting the home button below it.

movielover76

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I use Google keyboard on every Android device. Installing the keyboard is one of the first things I do

I love the keyboard but also I swap phones quite often and find using a standard keyboard on all with swipe makes things much easier

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Milaco