Anyone without a case?

vhl71

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
I've been using my pixel 4 XL for a few days now without any case. It feels nice in hand as it is. I don't want to add bulkiness to the phone with a case. But worried about dropping it. I wanted to get the silicon case in orange from Google store. But in Canada they don't seem to have it

Has anyone been using their phone without any case? Your thoughts?

lodo

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
I like living on the edge using without a case but as I have many cracked screens in my time have found a good solution which is a bumper type case that just wraps the edges of my Pixel 4 xl. Feels pretty natural and gives the camera a little protection when setting phone down. Also helps on edge and side drops.

RhinoShield Bumper Case

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
I am using a case for a few reasons. 1) The phone feels slippery in-hand to me. Maybe because of the next point. 2) The black back glass is a serious fingerprint & smudge magnet. I wish Google would have used a matte black finish like the orange & white. I should have waited to find a deal on a white or orange phone. . 3) I have seen a lot of all glass phones break easily. I don't feel like dealing with repair services, setting up s new phone, backup phone during repair, etc.

I am rotating between a Spigen Slim Armor case and Google fabric case when not at work; and a Spigen Rugged Armor case at work.

blackhawkhot

Apr 15, 2020
Visit site
I am using a case for a few reasons. 1) The phone feels slippery in-hand to me. Maybe because of the next point. 2) The black back glass is a serious fingerprint & smudge magnet. I wish Google would have used a matte black finish like the orange & white. I should have waited to find a deal on a white or orange phone. . 3) I have seen a lot of all glass phones break easily. I don't feel like dealing with repair services, setting up s new phone, backup phone during repair, etc.

I am rotating between a Spigen Slim Armor case and Google fabric case when not at work; and a Spigen Rugged Armor case at work.

Yeah no kidding. One of my first observations is most smartphones are ready to jump! Bah-ha-ha-ha :D

I have a Note 10 plus. I got steady hands and I'm real frosty handling expensive equipment.... these make me hella nervous. Very few phones are sure gripped, ha!
Got a Zizo case ($19) that really plants it in my hand and saves it in the event of an unplanned excursion. Doesn't add much bulk especially for the level of protection it gives.

I wear cut off finger gloves a lot for sun protection. Never had an issue with my phone slipping out of my hand.
Ha-ha, my ex-employer handed me his nice new, smooth Samsung phone one day with no case on it. As I closed my hand slightly to grasp it, it popped right out so fast I had no hope of regrasping it without out adding to the destruction. Popped up about a foot and dropped down about 4... wow.
It landed on the concert and broke the frame, marred the screen, and stopped working too.
I felt bad. He felt worse.
He got repaired and got a case.

Moral: don't hand your smartphone to people if it doesn't have a case. Personally mine stays my hand if I show a pic or something to someone. Yes, well...

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
It is a beautiful phone without a case, at least in my opinion. If the black glass wasn't so shiny (showing every smudge) I would probably leave it out of a case around the house.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I can definitely understand why you'd want to use your 4 XL without a case. It's a gorgeoud, unique device. Do you have a screen protector installed, and insursnce on the device? If so, I'd worry a little less about dropping it. I mean, it's still a concern, but if you have a protection plan and such and are mostly at home, etc, then at least you're somewhat protected, you know?

When I bought my Pixel 2 from Google I did not get Google's protection plan, mostly to save money and because I don't usually damage my phones enough to have a protection plan in place. But even with cases and tempered glass screen protectors, I'd always have a nagging fear of damaging the phone and then not having insurance. It's a vicious cycle!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
today I actually had a dream about a crack on my screen o___o

well, I use cases a lot
despite the fact I have only one phone, I have at least 5 cases (waiting for the delivery of another 3 lol)
It's like changing your shirt according to your mood

I TOTALLY have dreams about my phone breaking! And I too am a case addict. I have six cases for my S10 and I had 4 or 5 for my Pixel 2 and Honor 8.

blackhawkhot

Apr 15, 2020
Visit site
today I actually had a dream about a crack on my screen o___o

well, I use cases a lot
despite the fact I have only one phone, I have at least 5 cases (waiting for the delivery of another 3 lol)
It's like changing your shirt according to your mood

More cases is better. Remember with most cases if it takes a good corner impact or multiple ones, replace it!
A -few- of the military grade ones will take repeated insults without degrading the degree of protection, most won't. Examine it closely after a corner impact for signs of plastic fatigue!!!

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
As long as phones keep being made with glass backs, cases will be necessary.

How about using another material for a change??

dbdynsty25

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I’ve always been pretty anti case. I’d get a dbrand skin or something similar and just let it ride. Until I dropped my Pixel 4 a few weeks after I got it. Didn’t destroy it but dinged up two of the corners pretty good. It literally made me sad...so I’ve been using a case ever since (now on a 4 XL). I go with the Peel/Totalee/MNML normally, but just found my way to the Latercase - what a nice looking and feeling case. So yeah...gotta go with a case. I don’t want to be legit sad again because of my phone, lol.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I’ve always been pretty anti case. I’d get a dbrand skin or something similar and just let it ride. Until I dropped my Pixel 4 a few weeks after I got it. Didn’t destroy it but dinged up two of the corners pretty good. It literally made me sad...so I’ve been using a case ever since (now on a 4 XL). I go with the Peel/Totalee/MNML normally, but just found my way to the Latercase - what a nice looking and feeling case. So yeah...gotta go with a case. I don’t want to be legit sad again because of my phone, lol.

Oh no! That would make me sad, too! Could you please post a couple of pictures of the cases you got for your Pixel 4 XL? They sound awesome!

Bkdodger1

Jun 27, 2019
Visit site
I've used it naked with skin plenty but find the case slim and easier to hold
670af639a69a7541c30d65a7a3e1ea58.jpg

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
Oopsss thought it was Note 10 forum ..

I've been using it with Google case but sure do like it with skin..
a58c3d8f8e064c7b9da37d89b7ff157f.jpg
a07ed0b287f82ba4d28032014c2a46fa.jpg
So it fits OK in the Google fabric case with a skin? I'm thinking about getting a D Brand skin so the back isn't so smudgy, but don't want it to interfere with getting in & out of the Google case. I know they aren't super thick (the skins) but sometimes it doesn't take much to interfere.

Bkdodger1

Jun 27, 2019
Visit site
So it fits OK in the Google fabric case with a skin? I'm thinking about getting a D Brand skin so the back isn't so smudgy, but don't want it to interfere with getting in & out of the Google case. I know they aren't super thick (the skins) but sometimes it doesn't take much to interfere.

Yeah no issues at all with the Dbrand ..just lift it lightly when you remove and put back on....I left it out of case for a full day before I used the case ....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi