News Apple vs. Beeper skirmish gets the attention of US lawmakers

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Why would I ask someone who is ruled mostly by emotion?

"If I don't get an iPhone, I'll literally die!"

My teen and tween are on Android, btw, and our parental controls/monitoring is more a stranglehold on them than a silly messenger service.
Mine are half android the other half iPhone lol ...I have team 5 I think your team 7?

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
And your teens are totally happy with their Android phones? Or do you think as soon as they get a scrap of their own money the first thing they will purchase as an iPhone?

Although if you believe their opinions don't matter, I suppose you wouldn't know...

notforhire

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
Mine are half android the other half iPhone lol ...I have team 5 I think your team 7?
my 3 children and their mother (my ex) are all iPhone. my oldest forced his mother to get a Mac and an iPhone because he was tired of trying to fix everything she messed up. he referred to the iPhone as "stupid proof." for the most part, he was correct. lol (disclaimer: I make no representations as to the nature and quality of his mother) ;)

Reactions: mustang7757

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Although if you believe their opinions don't matter, I suppose you wouldn't know...

And you still haven't explained how their opinion should matter, at least when it comes to the idea of a stranglehold and needing government intervention. There's lots of things teens feel they need because of peer pressure, but that's no excuse for government intervention or legalizing theft. This is a parenting issue if the usage by minors is your argument.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
my 3 children and their mother (my ex) are all iPhone. my oldest forced his mother to get a Mac and an iPhone because he was tired of trying to fix everything she messed up. he referred to the iPhone as "stupid proof." for the most part, he was correct. lol (disclaimer: I make no representations as to the nature and quality of his mother) ;)
Lol..yeah I recommend iPhones to my parents and older people that want something that works easy to navigate around.

Reactions: notforhire

mech1164

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
You may think it is, but Apple has committed to implementing the GSM standard RCS, not the heavily patched, and supported by Google RCS. There is a significant difference.
The only reason RCS is in all this isn't what Google has been pushing. No it's cause this was a concession on Apple's part not to be torn a new one by the EU again. It's become obvious to much of the world that Apple only changes when they're forced to. Otherwise there would be no USB C ever on the iPhone. Now for better or worse Apple has given opportunistic politians all the ammo they need to fashion legislation against them on messaging again.

mech1164

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
And you still haven't explained how their opinion should matter, at least when it comes to the idea of a stranglehold and needing government intervention. There's lots of things teens feel they need because of peer pressure, but that's no excuse for government intervention or legalizing theft. This is a parenting issue if the usage by minors is your argument.
All you said is correct and tottally irrelevant as to how this is going to play out. Whether right or wrong this will be veiwed as the David being Crushed by Goliath. In so doing it's the perfect opportunity for eager politicians to crack open messaging on the iPhone. You can scream "It's not Fair" all you like. This was a giant mis-step by Apple and iMessage may pay the price for it.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
All you said is correct and tottally irrelevant as to how this is going to play out.

But was relevant to the points brought up that I was specifically responding to.

I'm just waiting for one of these days where a major company pulls an Atlas Shrugged move when a government tries to intervene with a directed attack against them. Just a massive "nope" as they close the doors and shut down. Not likely, but would definitely show where the real power is. Unfortunately they often go along with these dealings as part of giant give and take relationships. As soon as a major corporation takes a stand against an intrusive government, all their perks and political influence goes up in a puff of smoke.

Last edited: