News Apple vs. Beeper skirmish gets the attention of US lawmakers

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I am on the side of Apple. As much as I hate the walled garden of apps and services available only on iOS, Beeper essentially was going through the back door to gain access without Apple's permission. The government should stay out of this imo.
With 87% of young people opting for an iPhone mostly because of iMessage, I do not think things are that simple.

Reactions: Joshua Luther1

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
With 87% of young people opting for an iPhone mostly because of iMessage, I do not think things are that simple.
How so? The government shouldn't be involved in this at all imo, as much as I want iMessage to be be compatible with android. It's like saying iMovie should be cross platform compatible because so many people use it. Or any other Apple apps or programs that the majority of Apple users use.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
How so? The government shouldn't be involved in this at all imo, as much as I want iMessage to be be compatible with android. It's like saying iMovie should be cross platform compatible because so many people use it. Or any other Apple apps or programs that the majority of Apple users use.
It's different because anyone can watch a movie created in iMovie. |But this may be a fundamental philosophy thing that we will have to agree to dissagree on. I don't believe the most important consideration should be corporate interest, and I very much believe that once something like a communication standard gets to a saturation point it needs to be opened up.

But hey, it's not really an issue here anyway lol.

Reactions: Joshua Luther1

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Funny that app came out just under a month ago they must of found a way to gain access to Apple servers and now they blocking it lol and the app charges a subscription maybe a lawsuit by Apple for tapping into its servers?
Yeah I don't blame Apple on this .

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
16 person team not just an app developer on their own View attachment 358343
I'm not sure exactly what you're getting at, but the iMessage authentication system was originally cracked by a single 16 year old kid. The Beeper people just paid him some money to use his system, which probably wasn't a very good investment lol. It's insane that they had the hubris to think they could stay ahead of Apple. You may think 16 people is a large team, but it pales against the might of a multi Trillion dollar company.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm not sure exactly what you're getting at, but the iMessage authentication system was originally cracked by a single 16 year old kid. The Beeper people just paid him some money to use his system, which probably wasn't a very good investment lol. It's insane that they had the hubris to think they could stay ahead of Apple. You may think 16 people is a large team, but it pales against the might of a multi Trillion dollar company.
I wasn't aware a 16yr kid cracked their system and beeper using this method , usually an app gets developed by a person this a 16 person team here, just little weird to me

Main thing I'm getting at yes Apple should block this .

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I wasn't aware a 16yr kid cracked their system and beeper using this method , usually an app gets developed by a person this a 16 person team here, just little weird to me

Main thing I'm getting at yes Apple should block this .
it really depends on the app.I certainly agree that Apple should block this, but I do also think the US government should be looking at the problematic stranglehold Apple has on US messaging.

Reactions: mustang7757

notforhire

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
I have to be missing something. Apple has its messaging app. I use Google's. my ability to message is not impaired by Apple's stranglehold on messaging in the US. and if my ability to message has been impaired, I haven't learned of it, yet.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I have to be missing something. Apple has its messaging app. I use Google's. my ability to message is not impaired by Apple's stranglehold on messaging in the US. and if my ability to message has been impaired, I haven't learned of it, yet.
No if course not you can definitely send message to iPhone users but your left out how android to android chat features is , it's all sms /MMS between android to iPhone and left with not secure messaging but that's changing with Apple going support RCS next year.

notforhire

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
No if course not you can definitely send message to iPhone users but your left out how android to android chat features is , it's all sms /MMS between android to iPhone and left with not secure messaging but that's changing with Apple going support RCS next year.
I think this is mostly sound and fury signifying nothing... blue bubbles (please), encryption (fine, but meh). BUT, to each their own.

SvenJ

May 21, 2016
Visit site
I think you are overblowing the draw of iMessage, as many do. There are numerous alternatives that are actually more popular with most any demographic outside of the US.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I think you are overblowing the draw of iMessage, as many do. There are numerous alternatives that are actually more popular with most any demographic outside of the US.
Yeah, I'm sure you think I just pulled that number out of my arse.

I am very aware of how things work outside of the US, but this article and I were specifically talking about how stuff works INSIDE the US, so that knowledge doesn't seem relevant.

Last edited:

SvenJ

May 21, 2016
Visit site
You may think it is, but Apple has committed to implementing the GSM standard RCS, not the heavily patched, and supported by Google RCS. There is a significant difference.