Apps and Permissions

ptonantryloc

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I just went to install a flashlight app on my Nexus 5 from the Play Store. It appears the most popular one is:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.surpax.ledflashlight.panel

4-1/2 stars; 1,049,363 downloads; 331,229 Recommend this on Google

According to its description,all it does is turn on light, strobe the light, and have a pretty display.

When I went to install it, I saw the following for the permissions it wants:

This app has access to these permissions:
Network communication
view network connections
full network access
view Wi-Fi connections
receive data from Internet
Phone calls
read phone status and identity
Storage
modify or delete the contents of your USB storage
Your applications information
retrieve running apps
Camera
take pictures and videos
Development tools
change system display settings
System tools
modify system settings
test access to protected storage
Affects battery
control flashlight
prevent device from sleeping

My jaw dropped. Needless to say, I didn't install it (yet look at all the others who did install it). If I remember correctly, Google withdrew the tool that initially was on this phone for selectively disabling permissions of apps. Is there another one out there that's reputable and good?

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
A lot of apps ask for permissions that aren't needed and that those apps never use. On the other hand, more permissions are often needed to perform a trivial-sounding task than most might believe. Sometimes apps have settings that need access to different permissions. For example, a flashlight app could conceivably have a control allowing the user to disable it when connected to certain WiFi networks, in which case it would need network access. It may also provide an option to enable or disable during phone calls. It depends, and you don't know the justifications until after installing an app and going through its settings.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Try Nexus Torch. Only 2 permissions, camera, and not letting the phone sleep. Great app.

Posted via NSA Spy Van 37...... Free candy??

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I just went to install a flashlight app on my Nexus 5 from the Play Store. It appears the most popular one is:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.surpax.ledflashlight.panel
4-1/2 stars; 1,049,363 downloads; 331,229 Recommend this on Google

Funny how the promotional video at play store shows the light visible from space!
But let common sense prevail - the app does not need all those permissions, so personally, I'd skip it - especially because there are many alternatives available (power toggles is my recommendation too, but a flashlight app is really not brain surgery, so almost any app will suffice)