Apps randomly popping open when I unlock it

AlexMarie15

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
This phone is basically the most perfect phone I've ever used, but there is one real quirk/bug that I don't quite understand. When I unlock my phone with the fingerprint sensor a random app will be open. It happens about half the time I unlock it, and it isn't a huge deal, but it's a little bothersome to unlock the phone (which I absolutely love coming from the swipe mechanism) and see some random app open.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
So it's not the last app you were using, right? When it opens to that app, what happens when you press the Back button--does it back out to the homescreen, or does it back out into yet another app? Sometimes, if the launcher app (i.e., TouchWiz) is having a glitch, it might not be the first thing to come up.

ccpopham

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Test this: before locking the phone close all the open apps and see if it still dies it. Also I had an app located down at the bottom of my home screen near my home button and I would bump it sometimes when doing finger print and it would open that app. I have also accidentally opened my camera by pressing the camera button when scanning.

Posted via the Android Central App

AlexMarie15

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
So it's not the last app you were using, right? When it opens to that app, what happens when you press the Back button--does it back out to the homescreen, or does it back out into yet another app? Sometimes, if the launcher app (i.e., TouchWiz) is having a glitch, it might not be the first thing to come up.

No its random apps that I have open in the background and when I click the back button it goes back to the homescreen. I'm running nova, but I'm sure that's not keeping TouchWiz glitches at bay.

AlexMarie15

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Test this: before locking the phone close all the open apps and see if it still dies it. Also I had an app located down at the bottom of my home screen near my home button and I would bump it sometimes when doing finger print and it would open that app. I have also accidentally opened my camera by pressing the camera button when scanning.

I'll try that. The camera just opened when I came to check my phone, but that's easily excusable. I would say I could be accidentally pressing the multitasking/recent apps button, but I don't think so.

nyc_rock

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
I'm having the same issue. I'm convinced I am inadvertantly launching an app in the motion of shutting down the phone. It's usually my calendar that's open when I unlock the phone but there have been other apps as well.

AlexMarie15

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site

Okay, so I did what you told me to and it STILL happened. This time it opened up the gallery. I'm wondering if I'm pressing my apps when it unlocks, but I don't think so.

tmp3150

Banned
Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
This phone is basically the most perfect phone I've ever used, but there is one real quirk/bug that I don't quite understand. When I unlock my phone with the fingerprint sensor a random app will be open. It happens about half the time I unlock it, and it isn't a huge deal, but it's a little bothersome to unlock the phone (which I absolutely love coming from the swipe mechanism) and see some random app open.

Wow, this happened to me. I thought it was me doing something wrong.

Posted via the Android Central App using thevAT&T Note 5, 64Gig

Lightshield

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
This has happened to me several times too. Usually it's the app that is in the bottom right-hand corner on my homescreen (not the dock) but a few times it's been apps that I have buried in folders. Very odd.

AlexMarie15

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
This has happened to me several times too. Usually it's the app that is in the bottom right-hand corner on my homescreen (not the dock) but a few times it's been apps that I have buried in folders. Very odd.

Can I ask which launcher you're using? The best buy Samsung guy said it could be that I'm using Nova, but I don't know.

AlexMarie15

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Is it possible they're apps that have notifications on the lock screen and you're hitting the notification before or while swiping?

Not at all. It just happened right now and it was my Bible app that wasn't open at all or had any notifications. It's a curious thing.

Mariah Richardson

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm having the same thing happen to me. I've noticed it happen a few times and a few hours ago I unlocked it and my google search bar was open, but I know I wasn't using it when I locked my phone.

I noticed that you're (AlexMarie15) the same person who had the Spotify song changing issue as well, I can't help but wonder if it's something connected to this app opening issue, something registering as being pressed on the screen as the phone is being locked. Maybe I'm wrong, just a weird coincidence.

AlexMarie15

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm having the same thing happen to me. I've noticed it happen a few times and a few hours ago I unlocked it and my google search bar was open, but I know I wasn't using it when I locked my phone.

I noticed that you're (AlexMarie15) the same person who had the Spotify song changing issue as well, I can't help but wonder if it's something connected to this app opening issue, something registering as being pressed on the screen as the phone is being locked. Maybe I'm wrong, just a weird coincidence.

I'm not sure, even though when I just unlocked it spotify popped open, lol. Are you using Nova as well or Touchwiz or some other launcher? It's so sporadic like the spotify thing that it's not a huge deal, but just a little annoying.

Mariah Richardson

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure, even though when I just unlocked it spotify popped open, lol. Are you using Nova as well or Touchwiz or some other launcher? It's so sporadic like the spotify thing that it's not a huge deal, but just a little annoying.

Lol that's funny. I'm using Touchwiz. And yes, I agree, it's annoying and then I get all paranoid that my phone is messed up!

EDIT: And, like the Spotify thing, the apps being open only happens randomly.

AlexMarie15

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Lol that's funny. I'm using Touchwiz. And yes, I agree, it's annoying and then I get all paranoid that my phone is messed up!

EDIT: And, like the Spotify thing, the apps being open only happens randomly.

Hmm, I'm just happy that it isn't the launcher's fault because I love Nova. The Samsung guy told me to bring it back if it keeps happening because we both did a cache partition wipe separately, but it's still happening. I wonder why we're having the same issues that others aren't, lol.

mysterygirl

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
This happens to me as well. It also happened on my Galaxy S6. I'm using Nova. Minor issue, but slightly annoying.

Mariah Richardson

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Hmm, I'm just happy that it isn't the launcher's fault because I love Nova. The Samsung guy told me to bring it back if it keeps happening because we both did a cache partition wipe separately, but it's still happening. I wonder why we're having the same issues that others aren't, lol.

Well that definitely makes me feel better that someone else is having similar issues, it could just be a bug that needs to be fixed in an update, at least I'm hoping that's all it is!