Are local deals I'm seeing on unlocked S24 ultra's legit or scams?

busterbrown73

Jan 30, 2024
Visit site
I was perusing my local FB marketplace and came across a handful of private sellers of S24 ultras, brand new in boxes. One person had 2 that are unlocked available for sale after Jan 31st. Price is $850. Another ad was selling several for $1100 cash, brand new in box. Are these sellers using the $1000 carrier credit to acquire these phones and selling them immediately as unlocked? Or are there better deals out there that I don't know about? Samsung.com has $150 merch credit available if you purchase online. But it's just merch credit. They do offer trade in credit for unlocked phones but anything older than a S20 ultra doesn't amount to much (<$400). On a $1300 phone, I'm curious as to how folks are selling well below what samsung is selling the S24U on preorder.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
If they are unlocked they aren't carrier deals. If they are carrier deals, obviously stay away unless you go to the carrier store with seller and you see it's paid off.

If they ordered direct and they are unlocked, with trade in they could make $300+ after the dust settles, but why not just sell their trade in and avoid the hassle of buying, trading in and then selling.

What your describing would suggest scam, as someone above said, If it sounds to good to be true, probably is. If you proceed with buying one, use extreme caution. I would not entertain any of it

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
As soon as you mentioned FB Marketplace I guessed scam without knowing any other details. After reading the rest, my opinion hasn't changed unless they are scalping (still a scam, but better chance of getting a legit device).

Reactions: Laura Knotek

frank-barnett

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I’ve thought about selling my 24 ultra that is on the way. I have a credit of $600 from my 20 note and whatever discounts/incentives- not sure what the math would be- but kinda think it would need to be $1000+ for it to make sense for me, if you think the note 20 is ‘free money.’