Are oleophobic layer reapplication kits any good?

EnthalpiousKitten

Feb 24, 2021
Visit site
Anyone have experience with those sprays you can buy on Amazon to fix a screen that collects fingerprints and is hard to clean? My nearly 2 year old S10 lite appears to have little none of its original coating left. I'm tempted to try one of these sprays, but I don't know if they're worth the money. I'm planning to replace the whole phone when I make enough money, but until I can afford a new phone I need to do something about this unbearable fingerprint magnet my S10 lite has become.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Here for the responses.

I've tried some of the nano glass products and none of them make any difference if you ask me. I was never going for durability with them I was hoping to restore some of that coating that was lost and while I've tried at least 2 if not 3 type/brands of them none ever brought back what was lost.

I watched a JerryRigEverything where he took a phone into some kind of lab looking place (I watched this some time ago) and they let him resurface the screen of a device. This of course took the coating off of the screen as well as a thin layer of glass to get the scratch out. Afterwards he applied an oleophobic coating that cured with UV light. I asked in the comments where such a product could be purchased but never got a reply. I've never seen another product like it.

EnthalpiousKitten

Feb 24, 2021
Visit site
Here for the responses.

I've tried some of the nano glass products and none of them make any difference if you ask me. I was never going for durability with them I was hoping to restore some of that coating that was lost and while I've tried at least 2 if not 3 type/brands of them none ever brought back what was lost.

I watched a JerryRigEverything where he took a phone into some kind of lab looking place (I watched this some time ago) and they let him resurface the screen of a device. This of course took the coating off of the screen as well as a thin layer of glass to get the scratch out. Afterwards he applied an oleophobic coating that cured with UV light. I asked in the comments where such a product could be purchased but never got a reply. I've never seen another product like it.
Yeah, I guess if I find something that is cheap enough I can give it a try. The stuff that comes up when I search is all $15+ which is madness. If I can find something that doesnt look too dodgy under $15 I will probably give it a go. It's so annoying having to frequently clean this thing with a cloth and lens cleaner whereas some of my secondary devices which are much newer often require a quick shirt wipe and rarely need the spray.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I guess if I find something that is cheap enough I can give it a try. The stuff that comes up when I search is all $15+ which is madness. If I can find something that doesnt look too dodgy under $15 I will probably give it a go. It's so annoying having to frequently clean this thing with a cloth and lens cleaner whereas some of my secondary devices which are much newer often require a quick shirt wipe and rarely need the spray.
Please let us know if you find something inexpensive that actually works. I'd be interested in this also.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Interesting discovery today. Went to Ollie's today not looking for anything and saw a car product that reminded me of those ads where they throw water and mud on the car and it sheets off for like 9 bucks and wondered what it would do for my phone screen. Went and washed the car and applied it as directed and found it left left a very nice shine just like it said so while putting the remaining fluid away I shot a squirt in my screen and oh my. The sticky fingerprint spot totally vanished. The screen is overall slicker, no spot and it feels like it hasn't in a very long time. I have no idea how long it will last but one squirt made a huge difference and didn't even register on what I have left so even if it only lasts a week or two I have a lifetime supply in this one bottle. It's the first I've ever used that really made the spot disappear and the only one to give me that like new feel. I'll post back how long I notice it lasting and if there's any side effects but day one it's amazing.
518ba9139454a7bfbdbf31ddc54d6e51.jpg

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Interesting, as although I hadn't been looking for such a coating this post caught my attention.

Some of these ceramic coatings are excellent for car/motorcycle bodywork and you can use them on windscreens but I would be terrified to try them out on my display. You're a far braver man than me as I would be too worried they would damage and degrade the display.

Their website claims the coating lasts up to 6 months so I'll be fascinated to see how you get on.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I looked up reviews on it because I found it at a discount store and the name seemed generic but it was 4.5 stars almost everywhere. I didn't even look at how long it was estimated to last. 6 months which is probably at least slightly less in the real world, outside in the elements, rain, sun, heat, cold and so on, which the phone won't see. The phone however will see consent rubbing in the keyboard area, cleaning, in and out of pockets, bags, showers and being laid face down on things. Which is how we got here an I right? Not sure if that evens things out or if it's more or less than the intended application. A lot probably depends on the person somewhat too. Just surprised by and thrilled with the results so far. The best part to me is I should be able to bring back the effect at will and all for half or less of these other products with enough to last virtually forever in that one bottle with results they've never achieved.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Less than a week. Since the product is on vehicles that sit outside in the sun and I'd seen that episode on jerryrigeverything where the product used was UV cure I tried reapplying and then allowing some sun time to see if it cured better and still only got a few days out of it. I will likely reapply from time to time but every couple of days is too much for me to keep up with. It's great while it lasts but doesn't last long enough, or maybe I just need to put this thing down once in a while. LOL
Hey, hope you have a great weekend.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa