Are you using a smart watch with your Note 4?

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm considering getting a smart watch. I'm leaning towards the Moto 360 but I'm also considering the Gear 2 or Gear Neo. Just wondering what others are using and prefer. Thanks.

Sent from my Note 4

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
That's what I really want. Lol. Not sure I want to spend that much though. How does that work? Do you pay for an add-on to your plan? I have verizon.

Sent from my Note 4

You don't need a plan. You can tether via WiFi or Bluetooth. You just can't do standalone.

Posted via the Android Central App

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
That's what I really want. Lol. Not sure I want to spend that much though. How does that work? Do you pay for an add-on to your plan? I have verizon.

Sent from my Note 4

Ok cool. For some reason I thought it worked stand alone so you could leave your phone at home in theory. Is that just an option and not necessarily required?

Sent from my Note 4

mountainbikermark

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
I use a Gear S and a Gear Fit.
I opted for the data plan so I could leave my phone at home, not realizing at the time how much I'd come to appreciate that ability. With Verizon the add on is $5 a month. I'm with AT&T so mine is $10 a month but I have a 20% discount with them, knocking it down to $8. If you opt for the add on you'll get fees and taxes on it just like any phone line so keep that in mind as well. My $8 is $11+ after everybody sticks their hands out and adds their share in taxes and fees.
Anyway, I use standalone quite a bit and have yet to use over 2MB in a month on it, Opera Mini being the biggest user. I don't stream music over it so I can't say how much that'd use but from what I've read it isn't enough to worry about reaching your data limits.
If you don't opt for a data plan there's still quite a bit you can do standalone.
I actually went looking for a Neo but everyone was sold out and AT&T sold me the S for the same as the Neo, knocked 20% off, for adding data and buying a pair of Circles that were I sale for half off, so I actually got it for less than the Neo.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Mr-Guy

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
I don't see the point of them, I wear a Breitling so I have no need.

Attachments

• intro50.jpg
    intro50.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 231

scoty024

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Just make sure you understand what the pros and cons are for whatever watch you select. The Gear S is great in so many areas, such as battery life (2 days minimum for me), keyboard/reply functionality, talking on the phone through it, GPS so you can track your runs without having to bring your phone along, music control of every media player I use (Play Music, Audible, Pocket Casts).

But for me, watch face selection and customization suck. Decent app selection is nonexistent. The watch face stuff I can get over quickly... but the app selection has me missing my Android Wear in a heart beat... all the pros combined are almost outweighed by that single con because there is so little of use for me in what's available.

But again, those are my feelings. Beat I can suggest is:
1. Yes, I would endorse getting a smart watch.
2. Read and watch plenty of reviews.
3. Don't listen to the opinion or suggestion of anyone benefitting from selling you one (i.e., Best Buy representative or Cell Service provider) they know nothing about the products they sell and often time find myself correcting them when I hear them give a customer bad info... they don't like that.

Nitro211K

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
I love my Pebble Watch. It does everything I need it to do, I only charge it once a week, it is the lowest priced Smart watch (so it is a good way to enter the smartwatch world). The only thing that is lacking is the full color and look on the screen, as the pebble is just black and White. I know they are working on a more colorful version but that only brings another color or two to the mix, not fully colorful as the other watches out there. If Sammy or Moto would make a watch that last 4-6 days between charges, I would probably move up. but for now Pebble is where it's at for me.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I am using a Gear S watch with my Note Edge. I did use it with my Note 4 for a week but moved it over to my Note Edge because that phone uses the phone number that I give out to people.

I have the T-Mobile version. I bought and use T-Mobile service on my watch because there are times I just want to leave my phone at home and still be able to get notifications, texts and calls from my phone. The Gear S works perfectly for this and my carrier only charges me $5 per month for unlimited calls and text using the watch. I think that is an incredible deal.

pantlesspenguin

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I really wanted to get the Gear S, but it's just too big for my dainty wrist, lol. I settled for the Gear Fit and I like it a lot. I get so many more notifications on it than I initially thought I'd get. I thought I'd just get email and text, but I can set it so any app with notifications can come through on the Gear Fit and it works great. I love getting Royals game updates :). I wish it was a little more robust with the fitness tracking options, but all in all it works well.

mountainbikermark

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
I really wanted to get the Gear S, but it's just too big for my dainty wrist, lol. I settled for the Gear Fit and I like it a lot. I get so many more notifications on it than I initially thought I'd get. I thought I'd just get email and text, but I can set it so any app with notifications can come through on the Gear Fit and it works great. I love getting Royals game updates :). I wish it was a little more robust with the fitness tracking options, but all in all it works well.

What more do you want your Fit to track? I use my Fit (as I wrote before I've got an S and a Fit) for making maps as well as tracking rides, hikes, heart rate, etc but I use it in conjunction with the s health app on the phone.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

jwt873

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Rocking with the Samsung Gear S. Perfect match!

Same here... It's just another gadget that really isn't needed, but it's a fun toy :)

I have 73 watch faces that I can change to match my mood. (The Linux watch face I use for my avatar on the left side of this post is one of the functioning faces on my Gear 2). I designed it from scratch with the free Watch Styler app.

The Gear 2 has a pretty good 2MP camera for quick-n-dirty shots.. (It can also record video and sound). I get all my e-mails, SMS and calendar reminders displayed on my wrist as they arrive so I don't have to dig around for the phone if it's in my pocket. I can even answer or reject phone calls from my wrist without having to fumble for the phone if it's not handy. And, if I should ever have the phone slide between sofa cushions where I can't find it, there's a 'find my phone' button on the watch to make it ring..

There are a bunch of other neat phone apps as well.

If you go for the Gear, you might want to wait for a month or so before getting the Gear 2.. The Gear 3 has to be not far off.

PortablePete

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
I use a gear 2 and am happy with everything I do with it. Get about 3 days on battery and have had no issues for the most part. For a couple hours on one day I couldn't get my photos. But it cleared up and has been great ever since.

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotifyWord